Mutalith of Change.

Arkiham

So this has been a issue for me some quite some years now, I personally feel the vortex beast should be marked tzeentch, or be tzeentch aligned.

I've considered for some time the rule changes required to make this guy viable and if there was to be a tzeentch aligned one what perks he could gain.

I've yet to play test this so I've no idea of how much stronger it makes him.

Similar to the slaughterbrute, he requires a wizard or hero of Tzeentch bound to him or it goes a feral.

Binding a unit to it grants it the following bonus. (Unsure on this a bit)

Conduit of Arcane power.

Spells cast by a wizard bound to this monster can use the binding to cast spells through the vortex of chaos energy on his back.

Aura of control.

You can reroll the aura of mutation roll.

Master of chaos.

Instead of rolling a d6 for the aura of mutation, roll a d3 and consult the chart to see what happens.

1-2 heal a additional d3 wounds on either the vortex beast of the unit bound to it

3-4 until your next hero phase any wounds the unit bound to it suffers on a 4+ you can transfer to the vortex beast.

5-6 grants the vortex beast a 5+ ward until your next hero phase. 

It's that or grant some bonuses towards the hero bound to it. Something like +2 to cast, or something like that. Wasn't to keen on that idea.

Screenshot_20170118-234602.png

I'd rather the current random rules, but with some casting buffs because ot the extra magic from the vortex. Having a general stats buff so that it can act like a centre piece would be great too though.

Just having the thing in a Tzeentch army would be great though.

It's a problem with most monsters, they're part of the general overall keyword, but not part of the specifics, so without a Batallion to bring them in, they're hard to justify.

Personally I think the answer is to not add keywords like Tzeentch, but include a Batallion which gives a thematic reason for why the monster is there. For example a Sorcerer, unit of 8 Kairic Acolytes and the Vortex Beast to represent the cabal that has summoned and bound this creature. Batallion would be 0 points, because your tax is the loss of 2 Acolytes from the unit

55 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

It's funny because Mutilaths, along with various other chaos monsters are even specifically named as having Tzeentchian runes carved in them and fighting alongside Tzaangors in the new book.

depressing more than funny =(

1 hour ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Pfft ladies please. Tzeentch gets marked mutalith after Khorne gets marked slaughter beasts.

agreed, both should happen. though of the two Tzeentch is in more dire need of monsters than khorne ( see bloodthirsters ) 

Even slaanesh dosent want harpies.

I had my first game using the new tzeench book saturday morning using my slaves to darkness and deamon list.  Had to drop the points down to 1500 as i couldnt use my big monsters ive normaly got in the list.

30 minutes ago, Sej said:

Even slaanesh dosent want harpies.

I had my first game using the new tzeench book saturday morning using my slaves to darkness and deamon list.  Had to drop the points down to 1500 as i couldnt use my big monsters ive normaly got in the list.

Slaanesh probably already has harpies ;)

16 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

It's funny because Mutilaths, along with various other chaos monsters are even specifically named as having Tzeentchian runes carved in them and fighting alongside Tzaangors in the new book.

Yeah, I was going to point this out too. There's a section that essentially outlines what an all-Tzaangor force might look like, including Mutaliths and other monsters. It's very clearly intended to be a prompt for somebody to make that their hobby project. Really weird that none of those creatures got the keyword to go with it.

I'd be happy for them to issue an FAQ to say that all Chaos Monsters could have any of the god keywords: so Warhounds, Giants, Chimeras, Mutaliths, Slaughterbrutes, Cockatrices, Harpies, Ettins, Preytons and Warpfire Dragons. I don't see any harm in that, really.

14 minutes ago, CJPT said:

Yeah, I was going to point this out too. There's a section that essentially outlines what an all-Tzaangor force might look like, including Mutaliths and other monsters. It's very clearly intended to be a prompt for somebody to make that their hobby project. Really weird that none of those creatures got the keyword to go with it.

I'd be happy for them to issue an FAQ to say that all Chaos Monsters could have any of the god keywords: so Warhounds, Giants, Chimeras, Mutaliths, Slaughterbrutes, Cockatrices, Harpies, Ettins, Preytons and Warpfire Dragons. I don't see any harm in that, really.

There is a point though where covering everything is a bit far, some things are suggested that they are mutated or controlled by a God, where others a natural "evil" monsters or just warped by chaos in general. 

16 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Pfft ladies please. Tzeentch gets marked mutalith after Khorne gets marked slaughter beasts.

We could go at the same time, but Tzeentch would cheat.

Maggoth lords for Nurgle, something new for Slaanesh and as discussed.

Adding a spruce to make a Nurgle and Slaanesh monster out of the  kit would be amazing though! (just make a new face, the one sluaghterbrute option is already kinda nurgly, and 2 new back pieces)

It's an amazing kit, GW can really do more with it. >:(

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

There is a point though where covering everything is a bit far, some things are suggested that they are mutated or controlled by a God, where others a natural "evil" monsters or just warped by chaos in general. 

Sure. But it's a simple solution and I don't think it harms the game. I'd like to see somebody's interpretation of a Tzeentch Cockatrice, or a Khorne Giant, or a Nurgle Warpfire Dragon.

Im working on a tzeench chimera.

I think all monsters should have the option to have any mark

For a nurgle slaughter brute just use the tenticle maw from the mutalith.

I dont think there been an edition of warhammer in a very long time where ive been able to use my whole army.

First i had to seperatmortal from deamon. Now i can mix mortal and deamon but i have to drop my monsters.

I was surprised GW didn't made the Mutalith into a Tzeentch monster, especially when they are mentioned in the DoT book. I have mine painted up nicely since 8th and still haven't made it into the tabletop yet :(

Current rules aren't that good in matched play, might work better in a narrative game. I liked the OP's changes though.

Archived