Liberator grand weapon and shield? WYSIWYG

Attackmack

Im planning on how to best use the models I have available to me. And one of the things i've learned recently is that the Liberator Prime's can carry the grandweapons of their respective units. Which is tactically a good idea since they make an additional attack and with the grand weapons rend -1 and 2 damage seems like an obvious choice.

The starter box comes without grand weapons though. So to maximise the use of my models it would be sensible of me to convert the starter box primes with grand weapons from my purchased liberator packs.

One very easy way to do it is simply mod a grand hammer onto their raised right hand, and just leave the left hand and shield as is. (my models are already painted so Im trying to avoid making too much damage on them.

The problem, and my question, is that even though its thematically wrong, and not offered as a choice in the warscroll, would it be allowed according to tournament rules and etiquette (of which im not accustomed) to have my primes modelled this way or will they be somehow ruled illegal for use?

Since the rest of the unit already carry shields and so allow the entire unit to reroll saves of 1s, the shield on the Prime doesnt add anything to the unit and I cant see any issue with it. But im asking since ive never participated in competitive gaming using WYSIWYG.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. The only time an issue arises from a gameplay perspective is when you've whittled your unit down to just the prime. If he was modeled from a real box of Liberators, a prime with grand weapon wields a 2-handed weapon and therefore has no shield (so cannot reroll saves of 1). If instead you modify a starter box Liberator, the prime with grand weapon also has the shield, which would by rule allow him to reroll saves of 1. 

Long story short, I think you can do it just fine by telling your opponent that the Liberator Prime won't benefit from his shield if he's the last model left in the unit. That way your prime looks like he's got the grand weapon (WYSIWYG from that perspective) and doesn't get the rules from the shield that he shouldn't be wielding (so not WYSIWYG from that perspective).

Wow, that's long-winded. Sorry!

No not long winded at all, thanks for the reply and you pointed out something I didnt think of. The Prime will eventually be standing on its own.

I would absolutely not claim to have it benefit from the shield in such a situation but you just had me thinking that perhaps I must find a way to remove the shield as well.

Well I was gonna assemble the final unit of Liberators this evening but instead couldnt help but have a stab at the primes.

Has some bits and pieces over from the other liberator packs and figured the 3 retributors from the starter set would never be useful so got something that will have to do!

8TRiOmy.jpg

It's also a very easy conversion to take the left hand holding the chain from the retributor/decimator primes (if you built protectors for example from the paladins box set - the protector prime doesn't hold the chain) and put it on the starter set liberator prime's left hand, with the big hammer on his right. 

img_8111.jpg?w=1800&h=1200

6 minutes ago, polarbear said:

It's also a very easy conversion to take the left hand holding the chain from the retributor/decimator primes (if you built protectors for example from the paladins box set - the protector prime doesn't hold the chain) and put it on the starter set liberator prime's left hand, with the big hammer on his right. 

That looks really nice, well done!

I actually had this same issue last night, I had 15 Liberators, 10 of which were from starter sets without grand weapons. I used spare Retributor hammers from where I had built Protectors and it works a treat. My main concern was that they would not look like Liberators, but they still do without the back-pack and big shoulder pads.

Archived