240 40 x reaver horde

70 reaver meatshield

70 reaver meatshield

80 stoker

80 stoker

120 banner

120 banner

140 lokoj

80 asp db (cheapo one that gets a save bonus, not the pilein one)

180 chaos warshrine

2k!

Not very minimal drop. Need to pick who for the  8 units + 1 hero who are in the battallion and which artifacts / command trait and a prayer for the shrine

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Hey,

Can we get a conversation going about bloodreavers?  I've run the starter unit of 20 since I started my army, primarily because of their flexibility.  They're cheap bodies for objective holding, do decently as a tarpit (if you can make them immune to BS), and with bloodsecrator support, throw out a metric crapton of attacks.  What's not to like, amirite?

Except they, probably more than any other unit we've got, depend on buff support, particularly the bloodsecrator.  Lose him, and the utility of the 'reavers plummets immediately.  I like the models, I REALLY want to run a big unit with the -1 rend axe, and I really like the idea of multiple big units.  I even like painting them.  I'm leery of running an army built around them when the loss of a single support piece has such a huge impact on unit effectiveness.

Any experiences / thoughts on this?

FMB

Cool subject for sure, it has been 70 pages since the last talk about Bloodreavers but certainly give them a go if you like the models, want to stay mono Bloodbound or generally want to go for massive numbers. What's not to like is quite simple, their save and their 32mm bases :P I'd love them as 25mm models and think GW might have decided on that 32mm for them a little to quick but otherwise they are certainly a cool choice!

As has been mentioned, my experience with the one blob of 40 I've got has been that it worked out but the massive unit is cumbersome. The 20 split works out well also but everytime I thake it I miss my Bloodletters basically. Having said that, they are still not a bad choice at all offcourse.

Where I think I will like them the most is:
- Gore Pilgrims, with Warshrine so you don't just fill the basic inclusion for them but really do something. 20 + Warshrine is a strong choice and can still do things provided it's left alone, but likely will be because there are other key targets.
- Bloodmarked Warband, a nice bonus for duplicates of 8 and 8x5 is 40 which makes that one block of Bloodreavers really good simply said. It's also here where mono Bloodbound gets rewarded the most and double Bloodsecrators remain a really good consideration.

Pro:
+ Bloodreavers have a ton of -1 Rend attacks
+ They are cheap and have massive numbers
Con: 
- They die really easily with a 6+ save, which used to be a norm but now by comparison Skeletons from Legions of Nagash easily win from them and so does pretty much anything with a Shooting attack
- That 32mm base just really hurts them. They have the attack quantity but there are so many attacks 'wasted' because of their weapon range and that base size

They are a worthy consideration though if you simply said really want them. Though there is nothing in particular that makes them function better as other choices really... Even Marauders have the save advantage and 25mm bases just work slighty better for them too in terms of being able to place the horde (40) how you want to.

13 hours ago, Roark said:

Just doublechecking you're aware that Dark Feast adds an attack every single time they are selected to attack, right? So the third time you attack with a unit they will be at +3 attacks...

I suppose... But as mentioned it doesn't really say it stacks. Good one to ask for the Age of Sigmar FAQ team. Did anyone do that allready? 

3 hours ago, Roark said:

I don't think there's any ambiguity whatsoever mate. Look at how it's phrased. And then look at how any other BoK attack buff is phrased. But, again, I don't think it's OP. I mean, these are 6+ save Battleline units we're talking about (plus two of our less choppy heroes). And it all goes kaput once the Priest dies. 200pts is almost 30 more dudes... but I think it makes Dark Feast worth another look for predominantly Mortals players. 

Good point for sure, but as has been said we don't really know how it works out and if it remains. 

The prime reason why I really don't medle with unclear writing is because several things have been FAQ'ed now that worked differently before and the clearity of AoS isn't really getting that much better despite the FAQ's ;) 

58 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

2k!

Not very minimal drop. Need to pick who for the  8 units + 1 hero who are in the battallion and which artifacts / command trait and a prayer for the shrine

If you have the will to paint 180 Bloodreavers, go for it! :D 

Back in 2015 when Khorne was still a really relevant competitive army quite a lot of lists looked like that and had a really beyond decent tournament showing. The difference between now and then offcourse is the non-stackable Bloodsecrator effect. 

As a result of mixed competitive armies now too I still think that going heavy on the Bloodletters is easier to do for the hobby aspect and at least against Stormcasts much better rewarded.

Cheers!

I've always thought it would be fun to bring Festus as an ally with a Bloodreaver-heavy force, as his spell forces the affected enemy unit to reduce Save rolls by 1 for the rest of the game. Downsides are that the range is only 14, casting value is 7, and it's magic in a Khorne army.

However, having a truckload of Bloodreavers with an effective Rend -2 would be pretty cool. Definitely would pack a punch, especially with some of the other buffs referenced earlier in the discussion.

Friend is going to be playing his first game tomorrow (500pts) against Tzeentch. 

Opposing list:  10 Pink horrors, 10 tzaangors, 1 tzaangor shaman

This is what he currently has:

10 Blood Reavers. 
6 Bood Warriors. 
10 Blood Letters. 
1 Korghos Khul. 
1 Bloodsecrator. 
3 Bloodcrushers. 
1 Skullcannon. 

(2x Storm of Sigmar & 1x Start collecting Khorne Daemons & 1x Korghos + Bloodsecrator box) <- Think this is what he bought, in terms of what weapons etc he has.

He's buying Thunder & Blood tomorrow, so would potentially have that to add, although it would be a stretch time wise to ready those models if a large squad before the game.

I've tried a quick google for 500pt khorne lists but haven't found much. I don't really know much about khorne so hoping you guys could suggest something if possible?

Thanks for your time and help :) 

Can't edit it seems.

10 Reavers - 70
5 Blood warriors - 100
10 Bloodletters - 110
280 -> 220

Bloodsecrator - 120
+ 5 Blood Warriors (Thunder and Blood) - 100 -> 500

10 Reavers - 70
5 Blood warriors - 100
10 Bloodletters - 110
280 -> 220

Korghos Khul - 200

480pts.

3 Bloodcrushers - 160
5 Blood warriors - 100
10 Bloodletters - 110

Bloodsecrator - 120

How do these seem?

1 hour ago, Render said:

I've always thought it would be fun to bring Festus as an ally with a Bloodreaver-heavy force, as his spell forces the affected enemy unit to reduce Save rolls by 1 for the rest of the game. Downsides are that the range is only 14, casting value is 7, and it's magic in a Khorne army.

However, having a truckload of Bloodreavers with an effective Rend -2 would be pretty cool. Definitely would pack a punch, especially with some of the other buffs referenced earlier in the discussion.

Ah give it a try if you want to. I mean Bloodreavers are a choice option. You won't see anyone really saying they are bad.

However one of the single units in Khorne that allows for a great anti-armour awnser still are Bloodletters and -2 is a bit of a random bonus when you have this potential acces to this many Mortal Wounds. Bloodletters are the only infantry unit that we currently have that can still gives us some competitive edge.

17 minutes ago, silentdeathz said:

How do these seem?

I'd go for the third list but at 500 points I'd say have fun, test out smaller things and try to see how you like it :) 

Cheers,

Was supposed to roll this out yesterday. My friend had to withdraw however.

Would have been fun though!

Leaders
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140pts
General
Command Trait: Slaughterborn
Artefact: Gorecleaver

Bloodsecrator 120pts
Artefact: The Brazen Rune

Bloodstoker 80pts

Bloodstoker 80pts

Battleline

Mighty Skullcrushers 140pts
Quantity: 6
Upgrade: Hornblower x1
Upgrade: Skullhunter x1
Upgrade: Standard Bearer x1 Weapon: Bloodglaives

Quantity: 3

Warscroll Battalion

Brass stampede 180pts
Role: Warscroll Battalion

Total: 2000/2000

Yep, I got em. I have 2000 pts worth of Crushers+Lord (however some are just a Jugg on a base; they take time to clean and assemble!).

Ah... thanks for the catch! I'd ignored the max unit total. I'll fix it ?

I'll have to make 3 units of 6, I might even drop 3 of the units to squeeze some variety in there.

I could even roll with a screen of 9 to take advantage of the Avalanche of Brass.

Completely new to AoS, though I’m a long-time WFB, 40k and 30k player. I asked for some advice in the Order forum, and they suggested I take up Blades of Khorne. Who knew? ?

Went and picked up the Starter Set, and have been furiously working on lists. I’m not committed to using everything from the box, but if there’s a good reason to, I may as well!

As much as they might not be worth it, I want to give Khorgoraths a go! Only issue is getting bang-for-your-buck, ie. Skulltake. Is it worth it running 2 Battalions these days? Murderhost and Gore Pilgrims are clearly the best, so I tried getting one of them too. How does this look?

Mighty Lord of Khorne: Slaughterborn; Mark of the Destroyer 140

Skulltake 200

Bloodstoker: Talisman of Burning Blood 80

5 Skullreapers: Icon Bearer; Daemonblades; Soultearer 180

5 Skullreapers: Icon Bearer; Gore-slick Blades; Spinecleaver 180

2 Khorgoraths 160

2 Khorgoraths 160

10 Bloodreavers: Icon Bearer; Hornblower; Meatripper Axes 70

Gore Pilgrims 180

Bloodsecrator: The Brazen Rune 120

Slaughterpriest: Bronzed Flesh 100

Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrath-hammer: Bronzed Flesh 100

1,990 points

On 25-2-2018 at 1:56 AM, jazman84 said:

Was supposed to roll this out yesterday. My friend had to withdraw however.

Would have been fun though!

Would have been fun for sure! Keep us updated the next time you test it. I think that Brass Stampede is someting most talk of but can't really test. I know I'm one of those people too. With 6 Skullcrushers left to do still I can't see myself finishing such a project within a year. Just too much Skullcrushers :P 

9 hours ago, silentdeathz said:

Khorne won against tzeentch  in a very decisive victory, thanks Killax

Excellent job! Happy to read that! I think that you guys might have played without Allegiance abilities? (I think this is a good thing) Because 9 Fate Dice are absolutely game warping at 500 points.... At least my experience with that hasn't been that much fun in the past.

39 minutes ago, Caillum said:

Skulltake 200

2 Khorgoraths 160

2 Khorgoraths 160

Gore Pilgrims 180

I like where this list is going but your Gore Pilgrims Battalion is incomplete and because of that the list is not legal. It's lacking the mandatory Blood Warriors!

Other than that I think Skulltake is awesome too but I will say that I kind of am missing some big units here :) It's a ton of fun to run this many elites but Bloodletters are an incredible Battleline choice also that really don't underpreform compaired to Skullreavers.

Feel free to let us know if your open for a mixed Blades of Khorne list or like to stick to solely Bloodbound.

44 minutes ago, Killax said:I like where this list is going but your Gore Pilgrims Battalion is incomplete and because of that the list is not legal. It's lacking the mandatory Blood Warriors!

Gah! And I knew that too! Will need to rethink it. And I am definitely wanting to go for the wider Blades of Khorne list. Bloodletters are on my radar for sure - is it a safer bet to go for Murderhost? I’m thinking that 2 Battalions is pretty much a no-go.

Also, I read through your 2 tactica articles - they were great! ?

22 minutes ago, jazman84 said:

I'd consider taking Daemonblades on all 3 units and consider Killing Frenzy on at least one of your Spreists.

Yep, that sounds like a good idea! Will have to see if I can make it work...

1 hour ago, Caillum said:

Gah! And I knew that too! Will need to rethink it. And I am definitely wanting to go for the wider Blades of Khorne list. Bloodletters are on my radar for sure - is it a safer bet to go for Murderhost? I’m thinking that 2 Battalions is pretty much a no-go.

Also, I read through your 2 tactica articles - they were great! ?

Yep, that sounds like a good idea! Will have to see if I can make it work...

Thanks first and foremost! Yeah I do agree with you still that two Battalions are likely too expensive. But having said that Gore Pilgrims is a fantastic starting point and I can highly recommend keeping that aspect in your list. In fact adding a third Slaughterpriest allows you still to go heavy on the Bloodbound choices and practically have that list you sketched up.

I don't think Murderhost is a good choice to start out with. Prime reason being is that it more or less forces the inclusion of 60+ Bloodletters in my eyes and whilst that is great it's also very mono dimensional. I do think it has a ton of potential but I simply don't think it's a fun way to start out.

What is a really fun way to start out is going for Bloodbound Heroes, include Gore Pilgrims, have a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut or Mighty Lord of Khorne as general and start out by playing 1 unit of 30 Bloodletters first and maby consider a second later on. 

I personally don't mind the use of Skullreapers but would say, much like Wrathmongers, that I wouldn't rely on them too much. They are good but also elite. Our hordes just obtain much more advantages our of our lynchpin that is the Bloodsecrator. Because next to functionally obtaining more attacks the Morale immunity makes them a true hassle to deal with.

One of the best ways to start out (I think) is going something like Gore Pilgrims, 3 Slaughterpriest, Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, a Khorne Lord, 10 Blood Warriors, 20 Bloodreavers, 30 Bloodletters, 5 Wrathmongers and then basically sprinkle in whatever you like :) 

I have always loved my Brass stampede. My last game I tried the max stampede with 7x3 skullcrushers against a night haunt army and the extra mortal wounds in the hero phase were amazing. We were also playing with the malign portents rules so I used the sign to be able to retreat and then charge one unit. We also used open war cards and got a twist that gave us +2 movement and +1 to charges so my skullcrushers were zipping around. At the end of the game I charged 3 units into his support hero's and did 3d3 mortal wounds to pretty much all of them.

That game also had a multi turn duel between a Necromancer that I blood binded to charge me and a slaughterpriest that lasted the entire game. My slaughterpriest did no damage to the Necromancer until I rolled a 1 for both his prayers and Khorne did 5 mortal wounds to him which motivated my slaughterpriest to finally kill the necromancer.

4 hours ago, Caillum said:

Completely new to AoS, though I’m a long-time WFB, 40k and 30k player. I asked for some advice in the Order forum, and they suggested I take up Blades of Khorne. Who knew? ?

Went and picked up the Starter Set, and have been furiously working on lists. I’m not committed to using everything from the box, but if there’s a good reason to, I may as well!

As much as they might not be worth it, I want to give Khorgoraths a go! Only issue is getting bang-for-your-buck, ie. Skulltake. Is it worth it running 2 Battalions these days? Murderhost and Gore Pilgrims are clearly the best, so I tried getting one of them too. How does this look?

Skulltake 200

2 Khorgoraths 160

2 Khorgoraths 160

Gore Pilgrims 180

1,990 points

Love the suggestions from Killax

This is my take that might give you some ideas

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
- Trait:

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterborn 
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Killing frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Killing frenzy

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000

@gertat monster mash list does look fun! But I do think that if the player has acces to that many Khorgorath that Skaarac becomes a serious option to consider again. He's expensive and all that but the speed provided to all Khorgoraths is very relevant. It's just that when we are going down that route the room for a Bloodthirster dissapears.

Nontheless have fun everybody! Again pretty much all can work, just don't go too creative with Bloodcrushers and Skullcannons basically. That are two units that simply arn't that optimized.

My last hope also remains for a Mighty Lord of Khorne, Khorne Lord on Juggernaut and Skullcrusher Daemon Keyword. But I believe the logic will be ignored.

1 hour ago, Killax said:

My last hope also remains for a Mighty Lord of Khorne, Khorne Lord on Juggernaut and Skullcrusher Daemon Keyword. But I believe the logic will be ignored.

+1!

They are likely scared of the synergy with WoKBT and Crimson Crown. Though it would be no less broken than Tzeentch/Maggotkin/Fyreslayer shenanigans. In fact; because it would rely so much on unit cohesion and finesse rather than on simple allegience/unit mechanics it is far less overpowering.

15 hours ago, Killax said:

Excellent job! Happy to read that! I think that you guys might have played without Allegiance abilities? (I think this is a good thing) Because 9 Fate Dice are absolutely game warping at 500 points.... At least my experience with that hasn't been that much fun in the past.

Was my friend playing, I missed the start of the game as I was playing another, but I believe fate dice were used - the Tzeentch player had some very poor dice rolls and the Khorne player had the luck of the gods on his side from what  I saw of the rolls once I finished my game. 

I don't think full allegiance stuff was used 100% though. I think they started without them thinking it would be too much for him in his first game then he was picking it up (and winning) pretty handily so they started using them turn 2.

I know blood tithe stuff wasnt used by khorne either though.

10 hours ago, jazman84 said:

They are likely scared of the synergy with WoKBT and Crimson Crown. Though it would be no less broken than Tzeentch/Maggotkin/Fyreslayer shenanigans. In fact; because it would rely so much on unit cohesion and finesse rather than on simple allegience/unit mechanics it is far less overpowering.

Perhaps... The thing is really that Maggotkin and Desciples can really do the exact same synergies with specific Artefacts or Command Abilities to really indeed do the same. I personally don't see it as broken in Khorne either. But I agree that within Desciples of Tzeentch it is extremely powerful, though to be honest, that is linked to Skyfires and how powerful Skyfires are is linked to how un-restricted the Shooting phase works.

For me the consitency thing and narrative aspect of it all is really the most important to keep consistent. The way Khorgos Khul was designed doesn't make me happy but with his new Warscroll it does make sence. When I then look at some of the narrative found in Bloodbound and Blades of Khorne Battletomes we have the confirmation that Fleshhounds and Juggernauts are Daemons, yet they arn't always...

If GW pushed a rule that if your Bloodbound model base touches a Daemon base it loses the Deamon Keyword I'm all okay with it too ;) But the consistancy isn't there.

7 hours ago, silentdeathz said:

Was my friend playing, I missed the start of the game as I was playing another, but I believe fate dice were used - the Tzeentch player had some very poor dice rolls and the Khorne player had the luck of the gods on his side from what  I saw of the rolls once I finished my game. 

I don't think full allegiance stuff was used 100% though. I think they started without them thinking it would be too much for him in his first game then he was picking it up (and winning) pretty handily so they started using them turn 2.

I know blood tithe stuff wasnt used by khorne either though.

Aah okay! Well maby the list was just a cool game altogether. In general I think that Allegiance abilities are pretty much all designed in mind with 2000 points of play. Thinks get odd with some Allegiance abilities when you don't play on that scale.

Cheers,

Hey sportsfans,

Off to a 1000p Malign Portents event this weekend.  Was thinking about the following:

Demon Prince, General, Axe, Mark of the Slayer, Devastating Blow

Slaughterpriest

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

30 x Bloodletters

15 x Chaos Warriors 

Works out to 1000 points even.  I wanted to keep the list fairly simple (as we'll be using the MP rules, which adds a new layer of book-keeping.  DP is there for problem solving, Inspiring Presence on the Bloodletters, and for the 12" flying buff-bubble.  I thought about Crimson Crown, but it's likely overkill in 1000 points, and MotS is handy on the Warriors too.  Warriors are tough, relatively cheap, resist MW, and can cause damage in a pinch.  Secrator and Stoker are there for the usual buff purposes.

Not sure on whether to go for Bronzed Flesh or Killing Frenzy on this bunch.  Both have utility.  Not sure what I'm up against.  Reasonable liklihood of Nurgle and Tzeentch Daemons, Stormcast, Seraphon, and Pestilens, but beyond that, it's a wild card.

Any thoughts?

FMB

Looks cool to me FMB! I think that here the choice between Frenzy and Flesh is really a coin toss. Adding the Frenzy adds to Bloodletter offense, adding the Bronzed Flesh to Chaos Warrior defence. Considering Seraphon have anti Daemon tools and Tzeentch likes to shoot also I'd go Bronzed Flesh I guess.

Archived