Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at getting into Disciples of Tzeentch over the next few months, we've actually got a local tournament coming up that is 1000 points per player so this works nicely from the perspective of starting an army up. I've been reading through the book and haven't really decided on things like battalions or what unit combinations would be killer, but for now I came up with the following list just to cover my bases and give me a good basis for a larger army. Any feedback is greatly appreciated :) 

1000 Points
Leaders
Lord of Change (General) - 300 : Command Trait - Incorporeal Form : Artefact - Phantasmal Weapons, Gaunt Summoner (on foot) - 100, Tzaangor Shaman - 120, The Blue Scribes - 120

Battleline

Tzaangors (10) - 180, Tzaangors (10) - 180

The theory behind the list is fairly simple. I have four Wizards to take full advantage of the Tzaangors' Icon Bearers (if I keep the army fairly clustered, I can sling out an average of four mortal wounds a turn from the Tzaangors alone). I have a Lord of Change built for close combat to support the Tzaangors when taking objectives. The other three Wizards are just for taste; as all of them have the Daemon keyword, they all benefit from the Lord of Change's Command Ability, that stacked with the Blue Scribes should make my magic really powerful. I think the list might be better balanced if I drop the Lord of Change or two of the other Wizards to try and get some more bodies in, such as more Tzaangors or even some Skyfires. 

I have to say though, is it just me or is the Gaunt Summoner an absolute steal at 100 points? If I'm not mistaken he's the cheapest Wizard in the game that is capable of casting and unbinding two spells a turn, right? Infernal Flames is also one of the deadliest spells around against large units so that seems really crucial to have. The Blue Scribes and the Tzaangor Shaman might be surplus to requirements though, I'm not sure the Scribes' unique spell is really worth it with only four Wizards and the Shaman is only really there for an extra few unique spells and the bonus he gives to the Tzaangors. 

Am I right in assuming that you can take a Soul Grinder in a Disciples of Tzeentch army by giving it the Tzeentch key-word? How good are Soul Grinders? 280 points for that profile seems really beefy to me, it's unreliable on the damage front but it's super tanky. 

The tzaangore skyfires and enlighten on disc have the deamon keyword so fold reality works on them too and the shaman got the deamon keyword too so he can take fold reality. In the skyshoul formation they get a 9" hero phase move making automatick first round charge.

8 hours ago, scrollbuilderdude said:

As some folks have seen, Disciples of Tzeentch are up on www.scrollbuilder.com. Please send me a DM if something is incorrect. Spell lores, warscroll links and weapon options are coming soon!

-Tony P

I will start to give you credit for your website! It's outstanding and i absolutely love it! My only critics is your categories. I really wish the system was more advanced or in line with GW in their website. I mean, Chaos Deamons is a huge category and i think there will be gains for the users with more sub-categories such as Tzeentch, Khorn etc and the same with Skaven and so fort. Atleast for users which or just starting up with AoS as me :)

Sorry for bad english, i hope you got the point! And when do you make an app? :D 

best regards

aRSKOG

For another list for you guys.

Check it

Loc big Bird

2x gaunt summoner

Bird shaman on disc

9x skyfires

3x burning chariots

3x 10x pink horrors

2000 on the nose

I will write about this list in full when I get home. But what do you folks think?

This list or my kairos one?

1 hour ago, Venrex said:

The tzaangore skyfires and enlighten on disc have the deamon keyword so fold reality works on them too and the shaman got the deamon keyword too so he can take fold reality. In the skyshoul formation they get a 9" hero phase move making automatick first round charge.

Wow, that's amazing! You guys are awesome :D May have to try and figure out a way to get either a Tzaangor Coven or just 6 Skyfires in my 1000 point list now. Only thing I'm worried about is the chance of rolling a 1...and now I'm thinking about Fateweaver as opposed to the Lord of Change :( So many options...

@Hero Your second list doesn't leave 40 points spare which I personally prefer over getting a Triumph, I always find there's a good way to round out the points. Your second list has 1 less Wizard and without the Blue Scribes it overall isn't as good at casting, but your effective damage output and durability jumps through the roof with the Skyfires. Knowing that Fold Reality works on them too gives you two big possible tarpit units to let the rest of your army fire off mortal wounds with impunity. Your second list also includes a Gaunt Summoner which is quickly becoming my personal favourite Wizard in the army, good lord his spell is incredible. 

I have been considering the bonuses for non spellcasters.

+2 to the save of a chaos lord on manticore is epic. Monster running around on a 2+

Or if you want to go more a damage route the time slip pendant for a one off double combat. Great on the charge.

Out of the two if go the first.

None of the traits are too good unless you want -1 to hit also, but there is probably better options tbh.

Any mortal sorcerer we can build tbh is great now, +2 to their save on top of a balewind with 2 additional spells you can choose from.

You could even give the Curseling  (I don't think he's a named character anymore) a boost to his dispell range allowing him to dispell more stuff and therefore cast more stuff.  

Leaders
Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch (140)
Guant Summoner (100)
Ogroid Thaumaturge (160)
Tzaangor Shaman (120)
Lord Of Change (300)

Battleline
10 x Kairic Acolytes (140)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (140)
10 x Kairic Acolytes (140)

Units
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (160)
6 x Tzaangor Skyfires (320)
20 x Blue Horrors Of Tzeentch (100)
20 x Brimstone Horrors Of Tzeentch (80)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000/2000

This is list I am considering, looking to make something workable and fun for matched play by adding to silver tower.

Firstly there's plenty of magic fun which I want for play style and this list puts out damage through magic and flying tzaangor. The acolytes are there for battleline tax and because I have already bought them! I can see that more horrors might be better.

Blues and brimstones in hand for the split strikes me as a great way to take and hold objectives.

Not currently sure! I guess it would be situational. I agree about the Acolytes. The only thing we may be underestimating is their bonus tricks and the synergies that allow them to shoot twice at increased range.

7 hours ago, HERO said:

For another list for you guys.

Check it

Loc big Bird

2x gaunt summoner

Bird shaman on disc

9x skyfires

3x burning chariots

3x 10x pink horrors

2000 on the nose

I will write about this list in full when I get home. But what do you folks think?

This list or my kairos one?

Thats actually the exact list Ive come up with and I'll be running tonight.

Heres my full list, with spell choices ect.

Ive only 1 Fold Reality spell, but that unit will be hiding nearer the back and will get the 1s on the fate dice for the bravery checks.

Leaders

Guant Summoner - Infernal Flamers, Arcane Suggestion (100)
Guant Summoner - Infernal Flames, Bolt of Tzeentch (100)
Tzaangor Shaman - Boon of Mutation, Glimpse the Future (120)
Lord Of Change - Infernal Gateway, Tzeentches Firestorm, (300)
- General
- Trait: Incorporeal Form - Tzeentch Daemon Hero
- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons

Battleline

10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Unchecked Mutation (140)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Fold Reality (140)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Arcane transformation (140)

Units

3 x Burning Chariots Of Tzeentch (480)
9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Total: 2000/2000

40 minutes ago, aRSKOG said:

Hmm I havent got the book yet, so Im still clueless where Im going army wise. Anyone got some suggestions for 1k list, which seems competitative? Im very interested in such info :) 

I'm going to start with something simple and then scale up.  I'll probably start with a list like this

• 300     Lord of Change ( General; Phantasmal Weapons, Magical Supremacy)
  • 120     Tzangor Shaman

• 180     10 Tzaangor

• 140     10 Pink Horrors

• 140     10 Pink Horrors`

• 50       10 Blue Horrors
  • 50       10 Blue Horrors

I'll used the Blue Horrors as first engagement and screens, retreat them after initial engagement and charge in with pink horrors.  As they die, they'll replenish the blues.  The Tzaangor will be the hammer and blast off 4 rolls of mortal wounds at a nearby unit (since 4 wizards are nearby).  The LoC and the Shaman will be where they need to be.  Not sure on what spells I'd run with yet.  Need to think on that a bit more.

Just for fun I came up with two 1k's:

Tzaangor Shaman

Ogroid Thaumaturge

10 Kairic Acolytes

10 Tzaangors

3 Enlightened on Disc

3 Skyfires on Disc

10 Brimstone Horrors

Tzaangor Coven

Tzaangor Shaman

Gaunt Summoner

10 Pink Horrors

10 Tzaangors

3 Enlightened on Disc

3 Skyfires on Disc

Tzaangor Coven

A lot of people going straight for the Daemon list,  don't ignore those mortals, pretty much any wizard you want will be on a 2+, put them on a balewind for a 1+.

Even the combat focused Lords will be great, chaos lord on a manticore with a 2+ 5+(against mortal wounds ) as a back up hero will be great and for 300 points that is a sound investment.

1 hour ago, Soulshade said:

Thats actually the exact list Ive come up with and I'll be running tonight.

Heres my full list, with spell choices ect.

Ive only 1 Fold Reality spell, but that unit will be hiding nearer the back and will get the 1s on the fate dice for the bravery checks.

Leaders

Guant Summoner - Infernal Flamers, Arcane Suggestion (100)
Guant Summoner - Infernal Flames, Bolt of Tzeentch (100)
Tzaangor Shaman - Boon of Mutation, Glimpse the Future (120)
Lord Of Change - Infernal Gateway, Tzeentches Firestorm, (300)
- General
- Trait: Incorporeal Form - Tzeentch Daemon Hero
- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons

Battleline

10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Unchecked Mutation (140)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Fold Reality (140)
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch - Arcane transformation (140)

Units

3 x Burning Chariots Of Tzeentch (480)
9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (480)

Total: 2000/2000

I think gaunt and shaman can take  both a mortal and demon spell.

Some math on the paradoxical shield for a unit that goes to a 2+

33 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

A lot of people going straight for the Daemon list,  don't ignore those mortals, pretty much any wizard you want will be on a 2+, put them on a balewind for a 1+.

Even the combat focused Lords will be great, chaos lord on a manticore with a 2+ 5+(against mortal wounds ) as a back up hero will be great and for 300 points that is a sound investment.

I presume you're talking about the paradoxical shield?  Remember that you need to reroll successful saves, which makes it really bad when facing -2 rend.  The math comes to roughly +1 save against 0 and -1 rend.  Against -2 rend it's almost like having a 6+.

Archived