Warriors with halberds, what do you think

Kramer

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a slaaneshi army with an added theme (spartan/300) for the new years. I'm still figuring things out and one of the problems I run into are the warriors.  I'm looking to convert warriors to greek hoplites. Badass, evil hoplites. One of the things that's very recognizable are the spears. So i'm looking the field them as armed with halbards. So I have to questions:

1. Is it true the boxed warriors don't come with halbards?
2. Do the bodies allow conversions? I feel the bodies are not very dynamic and worry about the plastic molds not really allowing a lot of editing. 

What are your thoughts? Any experiences converting the warriors?

Chaos Warriors only comes with Handweapon + shield or dual Handweapon. If you want some heavy weapons OR halberds, you have to buy them separatly (in a tiny pack of 10 if i remember)

Anyway, the shield is a very good option.

You will have a lot of trouble converting them. they basically comes in two part : the front and the cape that you put together. the rest is static, the arms and legs are in one block. the only mobile parts are the hands/weapons and the heads.

The truth is the warscroll was mostly made for thoses who own the models from WHFB where having a halberd or a Heavy weapon was common, but still not in the box. The V8 unit of chaos warriors was also made because of the ancient-ancient-ancient warrior who was sold with a halberd and nothing else. So much legacy in this unit.

7 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Thats a problem, on warscroll you can build it with halberds and shild too lol ! And you can t buy this model:(

Yeah feels weird but as @kozokus says it is definitely not the only legacy treatment around ;) 

19 hours ago, kozokus said:

Chaos Warriors only comes with Handweapon + shield or dual Handweapon. If you want some heavy weapons OR halberds, you have to buy them separatly (in a tiny pack of 10 if i remember)

Anyway, the shield is a very good option.

You will have a lot of trouble converting them. they basically comes in two part : the front and the cape that you put together. the rest is static, the arms and legs are in one block. the only mobile parts are the hands/weapons and the heads.

Then would you advise starting with the marauder models as a basis? (I have helmets, spears and shields to add). I'm going for something like this and then Chaosifying it. 

152.jpg?v=1431030817

But now they are on round bases it helps a lot with making more dynamic poses.

can't find my pics of my slaamnesh warriors but used the helmeted hellstrider heads to add a slaaneshi/spartan feel to them -yet they are very chaosy still. Look into the helmets, will be perfect

11 hours ago, Trav said:

But now they are on round bases it helps a lot with making more dynamic poses.

can't find my pics of my slaamnesh warriors but used the helmeted hellstrider heads to add a slaaneshi/spartan feel to them -yet they are very chaosy still. Look into the helmets, will be perfect

Yes exactly the feel i'm going for. Currently I'm going for these, as they are cheaper and easier to obtain in bulk. Somebody was kind enough to point me towards a shields making tutorial. Biggest challenge i'm seeing is modelling the breastplates on the marauders. Because I need them to feel suitably armoured to field them as Chaos Warriors. 

But would be very interested in those pictures, if you ever find them let me know. 

spartan_heads.jpg

If you're doing a head and weapon swap you should be ok. The fur and cloak might not work for you though.

I would consider getting historical hoplite mini's and adding chaos bits, rather than the other way round. As long as they are armoured they will work as chaos warriors.

7 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

If you're doing a head and weapon swap you should be ok. The fur and cloak might not work for you though.

I would consider getting historical hoplite mini's and adding chaos bits, rather than the other way round. As long as they are armoured they will work as chaos warriors.

I did considered that but 1, I feel it might be easier getting a consistant 'chaos' look by working from a chaos model instead of the other way around. 2. I like the current GW range and I feel I should reward that by buying from them. A bit stupid I know, as i'm buying the heads from somewhere else but I feel it's important to support them when they are doing good. 

As to your advice on the head swap, good to know! The fur cloaks are tricky but I think if done right they might be a crossover point. On one hand they are very 300 if I make them a bit longer so that they drag. On the other hand the fur is very Chaos.

I'm still not convinced one way or the other although i'm leaning heavily towards the marauders. But I did decide to order the helmets and figure out if I can get my hands on a single chaos warrior, marauder and maybe even a khorne blood warrior :). Otherwise i'll allways keep wondering and as this will be my big project for the coming year, it should be worth it. 

Thanks for the advice!

10 hours ago, Arkiham said:

The problem is  chaos warriors don't fight rank and file in the lore,  so it massively didn't suit the game mode in 8th lol.

The "hoplite " style will look good but won't rank up well.

That's one of the things I love from age of Sigmar. It opens up the room models can take. Poses can be much more open and dynamic. 

The Chaos Warrior kit isn't very friendly to conversions outside of headswaps. I found it altogether subpar. Poor fitting, undynamic and the armor does look to much like regular plate, rather than proper Chaos Armor (that last one is personal taste, admittedly).

I don't see them making very convincing hoplites, to be honest.

Personaly, apart from my current unit, I'll convert all further Chaos Warriors from Blood Warriors and that might be a good, though expensive, option for you as well. You are already plan a headswap and a weapon and shield swap would propably be in order anyway. After that, it would be mostly shaving of the odd icon of Khorne and you would be pretty good, there are even plenty of bare shoulders (a must for hoplites).

You may also get Marauders to work for you, if you find a good armoured torso to swap out.

Outside of that, I really can't think of a good basis for hoplites worthy of the Chaos Warrior statline.

8 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

The Chaos Warrior kit isn't very friendly to conversions outside of headswaps. I found it altogether subpar. Poor fitting, undynamic and the armor does look to much like regular plate, rather than proper Chaos Armor (that last one is personal taste, admittedly).

I don't see them making very convincing hoplites, to be honest.

Personaly, apart from my current unit, I'll convert all further Chaos Warriors from Blood Warriors and that might be a good, though expensive, option for you as well. You are already plan a headswap and a weapon and shield swap would propably be in order anyway. After that, it would be mostly shaving of the odd icon of Khorne and you would be pretty good, there are even plenty of bare shoulders (a must for hoplites).

You may also get Marauders to work for you, if you find a good armoured torso to swap out.

Outside of that, I really can't think of a good basis for hoplites worthy of the Chaos Warrior statline.

Thanks for the advice! 

I gather you already bought some blood warriors? Could you tell me if the shoulder pads are optional? Or are they part of the arms?

And yes this is my big project this/coming year so I'm willing to invest a bit. ?

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Thanks for the advice! 

I gather you already bought some blood warriors? Could you tell me if the shoulder pads are optional? Or are they part of the arms?

And yes this is my big project this/coming year so I'm willing to invest a bit. ?

Sadly I have no Blood Warriors, I just know what I can gather from looking at the sprues on the webstore (a immeasurable service for converters).

I am afraid that most shoulder plates seem afixed to the arm with just a few loose ones here and there, but I am sure there are a lot of Bloodbound players here who could tell you more.

Depending on your skill and how much you want them gone, you could shave of the pauldrons and sculpt shoulder muscles, they are comparatively simple.

Otherwhise, I think there are enough bare shoulders in the box to give a nice hoplite-like look, even with the majority of the squad bearing a pauldron or two.

It is propably your best choise doing Slaanesh hoplites. In Nurgle. Blightkings would make absolutely amasing hoplites. It is a bit of a shame, I already have (build) a look for mine.

12 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Sadly I have no Blood Warriors, I just know what I can gather from looking at the sprues on the webstore (a immeasurable service for converters).

I am afraid that most shoulder plates seem afixed to the arm with just a few loose ones here and there, but I am sure there are a lot of Bloodbound players here who could tell you more.

Depending on your skill and how much you want them gone, you could shave of the pauldrons and sculpt shoulder muscles, they are comparatively simple.

Otherwhise, I think there are enough bare shoulders in the box to give a nice hoplite-like look, even with the majority of the squad bearing a pauldron or two.

It is propably your best choise doing Slaanesh hoplites. In Nurgle. Blightkings would make absolutely amasing hoplites. It is a bit of a shame, I already have (build) a look for mine.

Thanks! Time for another topic I feel;) 

yeah I like the blight kings as well. But the nurgle fluff never appealed to me and the overall look of the armies neither. But to everybody their own ;) 

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Thanks! Time for another topic I feel;) 

yeah I like the blight kings as well. But the nurgle fluff never appealed to me and the overall look of the armies neither. But to everybody their own ;) 

I think GW has made Nurge a bit to unified in looks. To many hulking, bloated brutes, not enough other appearances, Ethrac Glott is the only exception in recent production.

I am fully focused on Tzeentch these days, but I got some Blightkings before making a finalised decission and since I also have my "free" Slaughterpriest, I see no harm in building a small Detatchment of each Chaos god along my Tzeentch army.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out for your Slaaneshoplites, it sound like an interesting project.

51 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I think GW has made Nurge a bit to unified in looks. To many hulking, bloated brutes, not enough other appearances, Ethrac Glott is the only exception in recent production.

I am fully focused on Tzeentch these days, but I got some Blightkings before making a finalised decission and since I also have my "free" Slaughterpriest, I see no harm in building a small Detatchment of each Chaos god along my Tzeentch army.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye out for your Slaaneshoplites, it sound like an interesting project.

For me that's an end goal as well. Very long term though. Get some same period inspiration that matches different gods. We'll see by that time. As soon as I have a couple of models to start of with ill start a blog/plog here. I'll let you know. Thanks for the advice

Archived