WIP Stormhost - Soul Wardens

Attackmack

Starting a thread now where I will update as I go along painting my stormhost. Most of the planning and purchasing is done, at least enough to get started as I will have ample time to work out the finer details and colors before its time to do them. Updates will be random and at times with long downtimes but ill try and keep it updated whenever there is something resonable to show.

"The Soul wardens are the stormhost hurled into the realms whenever Sigmar needs a soul found, rescued or captured. Be it the souls of stormcast that have been led astray upon their death, or those of potent enemies which could one way or another be of use for the god-kings ongoing plan, the Soul wardens hunt deep and far into the depts of all known realms. Sigmarite armours clad in ancient bone protects against sword and spirit alike and led into battle by the most trusted of all the stormhost's relictors, the Soul wardens of Sigmar is sinister even to the other stormhosts.

It is said that among the ranks of the Soul wardens there are those who was once powerful necromancers and scholars of the dark arts. True or not, their dedication to their task and their loyalty to Sigmar is without doubt."

This is the test model im using as a foundation for the host.

M34jczJ.jpg

Ohhhh really like the idea of fluffy armies but I don't tend to see too much of them round my area. I have a Stormhost I call the Azure Guardians who are a primarily woman led host (all of the host's Lord Celestants are women) who's job it is to defend cites and villages from attacks whilst the populace is evacuated. The first bulwark against a dark tide of enemies, holding the line until the people are safely evacuated and more Stormhosts can arrive. Kinda like an Imperial Fist force from 40k but much more upbeat despite the large casualties they suffer. Their reforging also seems to take slightly less time and with less personality decay then the other stormhosts, as if Sigmar put them together knowing they had the fortitude to survive dying over and over again.  

But now I am rambling of my own guys. I look forward to seeing where this goes. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet? Soul Wardens reminded me of Soul Drinkers so now I am kinda imagining them purple. :)

32 minutes ago, Azure Guardian said:

Ohhhh really like the idea of fluffy armies but I don't tend to see too much of them round my area. I have a Stormhost I call the Azure Guardians who are a primarily woman led host (all of the host's Lord Celestants are women) who's job it is to defend cites and villages from attacks whilst the populace is evacuated. The first bulwark against a dark tide of enemies, holding the line until the people are safely evacuated and more Stormhosts can arrive. Kinda like an Imperial Fist force from 40k but much more upbeat despite the large casualties they suffer. Their reforging also seems to take slightly less time and with less personality decay then the other stormhosts, as if Sigmar put them together knowing they had the fortitude to survive dying over and over again.  

But now I am rambling of my own guys. I look forward to seeing where this goes. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet? Soul Wardens reminded me of Soul Drinkers so now I am kinda imagining them purple. :)

Ooh that sounds nice! I also love fluffy and thought through armies, gives me so much more joy to play the game as it helps imagining the battles and their consequences. Its also so much fun to come up with and really makes it much more enjoyable to paint the models.

I only have a basic idea about the fluff as written above but will flesh it out as I go along. Need to name some of the characters as well :)

I had a thread further down where I was trying out certain schemes and techniques but have more or less settled on a skeletal bone scheme with rusted metal trim to go along. Some details are still undecided but I have some time to think about them since they will be the last details to be done on the models. Ill try put up an image in the first post with the test model of the scheme ive decided upon.

As I only have the starter set, minus the models i used for testing, Ill need to purchase some additions so I can finish at least two full units of liberators with primes and greathammers. Possibly ill go for the battleforce box as it seems to be resonable value and I cant find a better solution to use the starter set with. If they only had included the greathammers in it :/

In any case, 2 units of liberators will be the first project!

The battleforce is great value if you can find one, I managed to get the only one my local Warhammer could get in for SC. The start collecting box is ok as a follow up to the AoS starter set in that you can get 5 Retributors from them, though the lack of a starsoul mace is annoying (I just cut one of the hammers to bits and glued some left over plastic and called it one). The start collecting set has a grand hammer and a grand sword so you could make up at least a unit with one. With the battleforce it also has 2 units of liberators with the extras so I am planning on having 2 units with swords and grandswords and 3 units with grandhammers.

Once you have those Paladins are always a good shout and the Dragonian Guard Concussors are an expensive but powerful addition imo. 

The first unit of Liberators are now done after putting in a fair number of hours the past few evening. I need to make the bases and mount the models to and will update with some better pictures then but for now ill throw these up.

I did mess up with the blood effect, or rather I overdid it. Too much of it and not places in very realistic manner. I do want it to splatter across the model to make it look like they are currently in the middle of a very gruesome battle but it is the first time I try doing blood and first time using the "blood for the blood god" technical from citadel. Im not completely dissatisfied but I wish I had tried the paint on some scrap models before throwing it straight on my otherwise finished models :/

Oh well,  the next unit of liberators is underway and ill try to not make the same mistake again.

B3yPBe3.jpg

YXSVdqs.jpg

Thank you, thats nice of you to say. What I do like about it is the clear red hue of the blood. It might not be realistic but its indeed theatrical! I just got a bit to eager with it, I should have made some tests and then taken my time with it. We will see how the next unit turns out :)

Will try get the bases done this week and hopefully get some more and better pictures up.

“He watched as his liberator brethren fought their way down the steps. Every time a hammer fell, so did another savage into a bloody mess.

This was not a fight but a massacre. They had come here seeking knowledge, searching for the lost tomb of Lazarus Lutt. Invaders in a strange land.

These savages lived here, presumably since the ancient times when realms and worlds was one. This was their home and their memories and they would fight to their deaths to protect it. Could they anything else?

But he had to pass, had to reach that tomb would it be found here. And nothing could be allowed to stop him.

Such was the will of the God-King and so must be made manifest.

Such must be the way of things.”

QmBExeY.jpg

gFdbgXy.jpg

u1PsFU2.jpg

6VJTwMg.jpg

On 12/25/2016 at 1:40 AM, Routasydän said:

Pretty damn nice work and def something you dont see everyday :) glad to see youve gotten really into the theme already.

Great job!

Thank you!

Im working on the second unit of libs but the holidays have kept me from it so its been a bit slow but I hope to have them done this week! Need to keep myself from rushing it though!

“Long before they could see it, they had felt the presence of the Occulum. Like a thorn behind the eyes it had harassed them for two days, as they set foot within the these ancient lands.

But now it stood towering before them, like a godly bauble upon the scar of the world. And it taunted them. For they would have to cross the Silver Woods to reach it. Famous for much more then its silvery foilage. Much more and much worse.”

EeI651f.jpg

ACXL0CT.jpg

ycIg544.jpg

fG20XcK.jpg

22 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

Those base rocks are nice. I can see why they went to such lengths to make sure all the copious blood spray hit their armor and not the ground. ;)

Aah yes, ehem...

I have had some thoughts about adding blood to the bases as well as other details as rocks, gravel and whatnot. But right now Im happy with the clean sterile look of the bases so im undecided on it for the moment.

Ill just wave my hand and say "The fight was back there, we are over here" :D

• 4 weeks later...

So been slowgoing lately but will have some time this week to start working on the remaining liberators.

I put them together with dual swords but now thinking of cutting off the second swords and adding regular shields, the dual sword poses just look so so bad :/ Sword and shield though, looks great! A bit like the romans!

Next set will be a unit of liberators as well as fixing the paintjob on the converted liberator primes that is now putting those great hammers to better use!

After these are done, I will probably start doing the heroes before deciding on how to continue the army build.

So im still at it, just a bit slower then pre holidays!

These are excellent, my personal favorite of all the stormcast paint schemes I've seen. The bone armor with the blood spatters is striking! So is the gritty, grimy weathered metal.

Inspired, I thought of doing something along these same lines colorwise, except for some chaos dudes. That in mind, could you possibly share your armor and metal parts recipes by any chance? I'd love to try my hand at mimicking your marvelous color scheme.

Oh, and keep up the great work, I'm always excited to see more of your stuff!

1 hour ago, ArmitageShanks said:

These are excellent, my personal favorite of all the stormcast paint schemes I've seen. The bone armor with the blood spatters is striking! So is the gritty, grimy weathered metal.

Inspired, I thought of doing something along these same lines colorwise, except for some chaos dudes. That in mind, could you possibly share your armor and metal parts recipes by any chance? I'd love to try my hand at mimicking your marvelous color scheme.

Oh, and keep up the great work, I'm always excited to see more of your stuff!

Thanks for the warm comments!

I have my notes at home, its a very simple method but when I get home I can give you a stepbystep on how I go about doing these, be later tonite or possibly tomorrow :) 

I didnt get around to it yesterday but here goes. This is the steps I follow after assembling and cleaning the models.

All of these are Citadel colors unless noted otherwise where I occasionally use Vallejo that is leftover from previous projects. Proper versions can definitely be found within the citadel range though but youll have to look it up for yourself :)

I use Vallejo "Grey surface primer" applied through airbrush but any primer should do.

The I apply "Agrellan Earth" in random patches where I want the armor to be cracked.

Then I do a complete coat of "white", preferably with airbrush as to not cover up the details and cracks from the previous step, followed by a heavy wash with "Agrax earthshade" and highlighted with "Ushabti bone" and finally drybrushed with "Screaming skull" and very slightly with plain "White". If needed Ill apply a little "agrax earthshade" again to the cracked areas.

I then do all metal areas with a basecoat of "Leadbelcher", a wash of "Drakenhof Nightshade" and highlighted with "Iron breaker" and "Stormhost silver".

For the satches and belts and what not, I basecoat with Vallejo "Dark leather", a wash with "Agrax earthshade" and then highlighted with Vallejo "Dark leather" Vallejo "Battlefield brown" and a slight drybrush with Vallejo "Dry dust".

Any extra details, such as the hair and cloth on the prime models, I choose to do red. In my case, base of "Mephisto red" wash with "Agrax earthshade" and highlight with "Evil sunz" and Vallejo "Dry dust".

For the rust I basically follow GWs own tutorial, simply paint on some "Typhus corrosion" where you want the rust and drybrush with "Ryza rust". You can go heavy at it as I did, or be more careful and get a less intrusive more realistic look. Also a highlight of "Stormhost silver" on the edges of the most exposed areas where the rust wont settle due to use and friction.

I then use "Blood for the blood god" and apply it to the weapons and then splatter it on to the model. I have gone a bit over the top with the blood perhaps, It looks kind of silly but at the same time I like the contrast against the armor and also enjoy the effect of putting the model really in the midst of combat. Each to their own but while ill do the remaining liberators this way, Ill probably have less blood and splatter on the other models and units.

Hopefully this helps you get started :)

Take note also that there are probably better and more practical ways to paint then this. For instance, instead of basecoating the armor with white, It can probably be basecoated directly with Ushabti bone before applying the wash, requiring much less highlighting in the following steps.

I also divide the model into Armor, Metals and Cloth, finishing one area completely before moving to the next but you could probably paint the entire model step by step and do it faster but for me this works best so far.

Good luck and remember to put some pictures up!

• 3 weeks later...

Been slowgoing and I had some issues with my airbrush which caused some issues and I had to strip and repaint but now they are done at last! Im out of clay for the bases though so they are just tacked onto the bases as of now, up next I will do a complete overhaul of the bases of all finished liberators to tidy everything up and get them ready for coating.

Also finished the converted Prime models with the greathammers!

As always, sorry for the horrible images :/

“Gluttberg knew what was coming. The sky darkening in but a few moments, the air whirling in excitement and an aerie smell of sulphur. He knew what the blinding flash had brought with it even before its roar silenced the sound of battle around him.

This was it, his fear made manifest as he finally found himself on opposite end with the warrior demons descending from heaven.

The pale death was coming for him but this time he would not run. He could not run. He would not endure a single day more of hiding, fleeing, constantly fearing to meet the pale mask of one of these monsters.

It ends now, whatever happens.”

Brx7Plx.jpg

“Reforged in the fire of stars, tempered in the coldness of the void and now remade in the image of the god-king himself. An instrument so deadly even creation would reject its very existence were it not for the celestial grace of Sigmar.

They had not even opened their new eyes for the first time before they had to fight the adrenaline excitement of going into battle again.

These eager sons, true to their father in both cause and flaws.”

U7bUv5b.jpg

I really like the uncanny direction you are taking with these, both in painting and your lore tidbits. I think you are really on to something there.

And the pictures are perfectly fine, we do not all have a foto studio setup for miniatures and it is not necessary I think. The modeling, paintjob and style come across, that is what counts, in my oppinion.

• 5 months later...

I figured I should post an update here as I've now finished painting my models. Needless to say, the project stalled a good bit and as of now Im no longer looking to expand my Stormcast's any more as a certain other game who just got a new edition already takes most of my wargaming time to spare.

That said, Im very happy with having these painted and stationed in my cabinet and might get a model here and there when I feel the itch. In any case, here is the end result.

“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . . when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you”

IOXU621.jpg

nhjKXF6.jpg

htlf9ka.jpg

Y6ft3zY.jpg

"The most gruesome task befalls those granted the honour of safeguarding the spirits and shepherding them back to the soulforge. The Relictors. For it is them who frees the spirits from their dying brethren, allowing them to depart their broken vessels and begin anew. Every Stormcast carries their ceremonial blades with pride, knowing that it might one day be the cause of their demise." 

CpUIDja.jpg

"Celestant Tycho knew only suffering and pain in life yet lived to old age, enduring through what would cause madness in lesser men. Selected to lead the most sinister of the heavenly armies, gifted an unbroken body and will to manifest its potency, Tycho rides into battle on dracoth Garmm. Known in the lesser realms as "The Pale Death" it is said he has attracted the attention even by the god of death itself.

GUR8Kkx.jpg

Archived