Brushes going bad...

Wraith01

The best brushes in the business are made from Kolinsky Sable, they should keep their tip really well if you look after them - they will still die in time, but you should get a lot more life out of them than a cheaper brush.  W&N Series 7 are universally regarded as the best you can get, but Rosemary & Co Series 33 and Broken Toad are both good alternatives if you don't want to spend a fortune.
Metallic paints will ruin brushes more quickly than regular colours, the metallic flakes act as an abrasive and some will 'wick' up the bristles into the ferrule like a rat up a drain pipe.
Some of the Citadel brushes are pretty reasonable.  I regularly use their base range and drybrush range, and although the base range nearly always end up with curled tips, they're decent for flopping down a coat of metallic paint or in the case of the larger wedge shaped brushes, putting down the base colour.
Drybrushes shouldn't die too quickly if you look after them too.  Making a "stabbing" motion will always ****** them up as will not cleaning them properly.  Using a mild liquid cleaner (I use Vallejo airbrush cleaner or Forge World Solution) will help break the paint down to allow you clean them normally.  Also learning to recognise when a brush is clogged with dry paint and switching to a fresh one will mean you're not snapping bristles off.  I will normally use two or three drybrushes in one sitting where others may just use one.

Yep. This.

16 minutes ago, Dez said:

This makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable being a brush licker with Kolinsky brushes...Weasel Licker Weasel Licker neener neener neeeeeeener!

Wait till you find out where they get artificial raspberry flavor...

43 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Yeah, they're Kolinsky weasels. Apparently they're a pest in the area, so a lot of them get hunted anyway.

Kolinsky Weasel sounds like a name. Maybe a band name? Or perhaps an informant's nickname in a slightly over-the-top noir story...

As a brush licker I cannot stop. It would be like telling a heroine addict that his habit is unhealthy. For me it's an unconscious thing. I just do it. I got a nasty surprise opening up a really old pot of Ogryn Flesh Washington yesterday. That stuff taste nasty.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Archived