The restless barrows

Ademo

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can say this is the best executed undead army I have seen. The attention to detail and small conversions make shure the whole thing is cohessive and distinctive from regular armies. You, sir, may have convinced me to try to make my own death alliance army, and, like you, work for a particular theme.

Cheers all [emoji106] will be posting battle reports etc in the death subforum for anyone interested in seeing how I get on as I take the army on the road (through the realmgate?)
@aquenaton thanks - I agree, theme is to me quite key! I'm certainly not technically a master painter, but I'm pleased with the little conversions and swaps and I'm really pleased with the overall look. Happy to be a sounding board if you're looking to bounce some themes and ideas around [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

In preparation for my army's (and mine as well) tournament debut, and because I really wanted to tie together all the models I've been collecting and painting, I wrote a short origin story for the army:

Hidden from migrating orruk tribes and the great beasts of the plains of Ghur, the mountain tribe known as the Rhuaveni, survived through guile and cunning instead of the brute strength that characterised most other inhabitants of the realm. Venturing down from their highland homes only to hunt, raid caravans and pillage smaller settlements, the Rhuaveni’s existence remained relatively unknown for several hundred years.

That was until, a great white drake descended upon the tribelands, destroying homes, burning the forests and desecrating the sacred circles -even taking up residence in the burial grounds. After several failed assaults against the foul beast, and the death of their heirless king, a wise elder, Vektrix sent out s riders to seek aid from the neighbouring tribes. For weeks, none returned, but when all seemed lost, Vektrix’s nephew, Konlyk returned with his diminished band of riders and an impressive, armoured figure, bathed in moonlight. The knight was introduced as Konnak. Meeting with the tribal elders, Konnak put forward a single term for slaying the dragon: he would be named king over the Rhuaveni. After hours of bitter debate, the elders eventually agreed; so dire were the circumstances and desperate their need.

The next night, at the head of the remaining Rhuaveni warriors, Konnak ambushed the fell beast. Konlyk and his riders rode skilful circles around the dragon, throwing spears before melting away, while the kinbands of Arthfael, Wybur and Murath ambushed from behind the barrows with spears and slings. Upon Konnak’s command, the warriors retreated back to safety. The gold clad knight strode arrogantly towards the hulking monster, drawing his pale green blade. Deftly avoiding claw and flame, Konnak sheathed his sword in the dragon’s heart. White flesh turned grey and melted away, leaving a skeletal husk.

True to the elders’ word, Konnak was crowned king and peace and prosperity returned to the lands of the Rhuaveni. It was not long however, before whispers about dark pacts and evil magicks began to spread amongst his new servants and the surrounding hill tribes.

One by one, the king replaced his council of elders with mysterious outsiders, including the sage Harfan. Unease and misgivings gnawed at the minds the tribesmen, until the most noble amongst them, Vektrix, issued a challenge directly to the king. That night, encircled by fire and in sight of the tribe, the two duelled for control of the Rhuaveni. Konnak toyed with his opponent, dodging sword thrusts and dancing around Vektrix’s attacks. When the king grew bored of taunting Vektrix, he took his own glowing blade, and, with supernatural speed, impaled his enemy; his sword piercing bronze, flesh and bone. Vektrix’s skin turned grey, as the dragon’s had, life draining from him. As he let out a final scream, flesh and muscle withered, and crumbled. Yet Vektrix’s new skeletal guise did not collapse in a heap, but instead, bent the knee to Konnak and wandered towards the tribal barrows.

Konnak vowed that those who would not serve him in life, would so in death. After seeing the fate of Vektrix, the Rhuaveni submitted to the king’s rule. But over the coming weeks, the tribe began to succumb to disease and the strongest warriors and leaders mysteriously vanished. None were permitted to leave and those that tried were hunted down by Konnak himself. In a matter of months, every Rhuaveni from the most respected noble to the lowliest servant succumbed to death and joined their fallen brothers and sisters in eternal service of Konnak.

Now, tales of the Restless Barrows are told in the inns of Ghur. Stories of adventurers who sought the lost gold hordes of the Rhuaveni and the horrors that befell them. Loose lips give accounts of skeletal warriors, vengeful spirits, Ankou the headsman and Old Crow. Perhaps most terrifying of all reports are those of a pale king atop the husk of a long dead dragon.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Wish me luck! I will no doubt post about how I get on in the Death section.

Gorgeous themed army + sinister, well-written background = pure unadulterated awesome! Seriously though, it's been a pleasure watching this army grow, and your origin story really ties it all together perfectly.

Good luck with the tournament, too - may Nagash smile upon you (or not, depending on where your loyalties lie ;))

Thanks man - been a really enjoyable project. Hope to come back to it in some form after seeing what ghb2017 brings and praying to nagash or anyone who'll listen that we keep that juicy death save [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Archived