Help Me Balance a Monster Mash Event

Hey all.

I've decided - somewhat belatedly, so it might not even happen this year - to try to run a Halloween event for my store. After my brain stalled out for a while, I finally figured out the theme - monster mash! The idea is that everyone brings their favorite monster, and then they all fight it out - arena style - to see who the winner is. I figured I'd add in some new rules, like frangible terrain, so everyone could have fun with their monsters wading about knocking over buildings and gobbling up peasants. It'll be a grand time.

The trouble is... how the hell do I balance this? There are monsters of all shapes and sizes in this game, from gargants who are worth 180 points to Stormcast riding on dragons who are worth every one of their 600 points. How can I nudge the rules so the event would be even remotely balanced?

Suggestions welcome!

20 minutes ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Set the points at 600 and only units allowed are monster keyword. Only 1 (if taking more than 1) may also have the hero keyword

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble is that the "Cheap" monsters are still pretty rare... do you think that someone with a gargant is going to have three of them?

I would have everyone bring 300pt armies without no restriction other than no monsters. THEN, you set up a monster for each player, and you can feel free to select the monsters to your liking in all manner of sizes setting them up in the middle of the play area. During the game, at the start of each round, have players roll to see what monster they get to control this round. Very similar to Monster Lair in the generals handbook, but meant for a more party atmosphere. This makes it so the power levels of monsters can vary more.

Could you set a limit (for example 300 points) and then if the monster is under by over 100pts then they get an artifact from their appropriate alliance. For every 20 points over the limit the monster starts with a wound ( so 100 points over = 5 fewer wounds)

Not looked at the exact numbers to balance here, but you get the idea as most monsters will scale back their abilities after being wounded

23 hours ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Hey all.

I've decided - somewhat belatedly, so it might not even happen this year - to try to run a Halloween event for my store. After my brain stalled out for a while, I finally figured out the theme - monster mash! The idea is that everyone brings their favorite monster, and then they all fight it out - arena style - to see who the winner is. I figured I'd add in some new rules, like frangible terrain, so everyone could have fun with their monsters wading about knocking over buildings and gobbling up peasants. It'll be a grand time.

The trouble is... how the hell do I balance this? There are monsters of all shapes and sizes in this game, from gargants who are worth 180 points to Stormcast riding on dragons who are worth every one of their 600 points. How can I nudge the rules so the event would be even remotely balanced?

Suggestions welcome!

Personally, if this is a bit of a silly/fun event then you can DM it. Let anybody bring their favourite monster and then let you balance things on the fly and treat it like a monster film. So if somebody rocks up with something "overpowered", have some freak event happen where a random comet (for example) hits them and they take X mortal wounds or something silly where they notice a question block and can hit it to get a random power up which disappears next time they are wounded.

It's nothing serious, so make it fun ;) 

• 6 months later...

Exclude warscrolls with Hero keyword and then as Gaz said. GM it. Sounds awesome though and something I may nab for a club night. 

Dont think it needs to be balanced. If someone dies too quickly, just let them reset and bring another one on. In fact, just give the game a time limit instead. 3 hours of monster mashing and tallying up kills. If someone's monster dies, it comes on again from a Board edge and goes again! ??

Idea definately nabbed ?

I agree with the idea to respawn, it is quick and easy and you don't need to track it.

A time limit with a scoring system could be lots of fun the winner having the most points. For example 1 point per peasant eaten and 5 points per piece of terrain smashed.

Group them into teams. If you still want it to be a battle royal, then you can award two awards, one for best team and one for best monster. After all other teams are wiped out, the surviving monsters must battle each other to determine who is the king of the monsters. This way the guy who brings in a 600 point monster is in a team by himself while the guy who brought a gargant might be on a team with an arachnarok and a squad of Yhetee.

Another thing you could do to help balance things if splitting them up into teams isn't adequate is to say that some of the monsters had previous injuries and subtract some wounds from them at the start to balance it out.

Archived