Alarielle, need advice

Baardah

Need advice on how to proceed with this. I've decided to try something I've never done before; inverted skin tone. 

Im aiming for something like galadriel in the LOTR movie when she tells frodo what she'd be like with the one ring. 

Like she's eminating light from within

so I wonder if there is any advice on how to proceed. Do I need to paint everything in inverted colors, or is the skin enough. Maybe I need to add some osl effects on the surrounding parts...

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

Trying a similar thing with my archaon. It is very difficult and I'm not sure my effort is entirely sucessful. I think the centre of the glowing parts needs to be very bright and the blending needs to be a smooth as possible. Contrast is the key for this kind of painting. Keep at it, experimentation is the only way to improve. This horrors hand is a great example.image.jpeg

as you can see it is also important to show the light effecting other parts of the mini, Alarielle's staff where she is holding it for example. That really helps sell the effect.

Like @Chikout is saying, inverted light is very hard to paint because we are not used to seeing it that way. The brain has a harder time processing right from wrong so it is easier to venture down the wrong path in terms of value compared to regular light.

Keep at it and look at reference images on google for examples. Keep your transitions smooth. Consider using an airbrush for this type of style.

Archived