Ironjawz brutes: Kit question

ADDriot

Hi guys

Love the look of the brutes, megaboss, mawcrusha and warchanter models. Just wondering how customisable/posable the brute kit is. Can you get much variety out of them if you were to buy a few boxes? I bought the skullreapers for Bloodbound but the poses are pretty much decided for you.

1 hour ago, N_Watson said:

I suggest you have a look at @Chris Tomlin post Da Black Suns in this subforum. He has managed to build 30 brutes with each of them being different. Pretty sure he has changed some of the poses as well. 

Indeed I have built 30 unique Brutes :)

I have not altered the legs or torsos on any of them (other than cutting bits off the jaw guard things to make them different etc), but have done a fair amount of work altering the arms and heads.

This can be as simple as switching an arm for a Gore-grunta arm (which fit perfectly), or cutting off a weapon head and replacing with another; using a single hand choppa as the head of a jagged-hacka for example.

On some I have done more involved conversions, cutting the arms and reposing etc. I find doing this alone is enough to get good variance, IMO of course. The most involved conversion I have is a one handed gore-choppa slung over the shoulder.

Where I think you get the real uniqueness is head swaps. This won't be to everyone's cup of tea as I've used a lot of 40K heads, given that I want quite an industrial, almost dieselpunk or post apoc look to my army (theme to be strengthened when I branch into Destruction). By cutting off the tongue and mouth piece on the torsos you are able to get good possibility on the heads.

The 30 of them look unified, yet with enough variance to not look like 6x 5 identikit Brutes. It all depends on how much work you want to do and how willing you are to use other kits.

Tentatively I am planning another 10 Brutes in the future, but I think I may be pushing it by that point!

18 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

This won't be to everyone's cup of tea as I've used a lot of 40K heads, given that I want quite an industrial, almost dieselpunk or post apoc look to my army (theme to be strengthened when I branch into Destruction). By cutting off the tongue and mouth piece on the torsos you are able to get good possibility on the heads.

I think in the Tolkein-esque fantasy universe of The World That Was, this would never have worked seamlessly.

With AoS being what it is, there are loads of cool elements of 40k that can easily fit into the theme. Bionic eye? It worked in Thief with Garrett! There's no reason why it can't work for AoS. Dishonoured too is another game that one can draw inspiration from.

People love good conversion work, so just go crazy and enjoy creating your unique Brutes with access to one of the widest ranges of bitz to choose from across both systems! Waaagh!

16 hours ago, ADDriot said:

Great to know. Thanks for the post mate.

You're welcome. Hope it was of use. I'll have some decent photos of all of mine up at some point...though I have been promising this for weeks! :S 

3 hours ago, Blueisola said:

40 Brutes...oof! now that's packing a punch! :)

Yeh it will be tasty! Tbh I'm not sure how often I'd run them all at one (though I definitely would have to at least once!). It's more so I can play around with different configurations; 2x 10 with Jagged-hackas and 4x 5 with Choppas gives some nice options when list building.

20 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

I think in the Tolkein-esque fantasy universe of The World That Was, this would never have worked seamlessly.

Yup agreed! The near open-endedness of the Realms is pretty liberating from a modelling point of view.

15 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Very true, we know the steelhead duardin are going to have steampunk/arcano tech, there is no reason you cannot theme a destruction army to be in the realm of metal that scavenged duardin tech, looking similar to 40k Orks.

Exactly this. What's to say they couldn't have drilled into some crude oil or some equivalent that can power their tech? I think with AoS you're only restricted by your imagination.

Reposing a Brute is a definite challenge, not least because the legs and torso are larger than the majority of kits, excepting a few, similar monopose models like Ogors, Nobz or Bullgryns.

If you do want to try a significant posing change, I can see leaping as working with the kit, by cutting the legs off and bringing them closer together at a straighter angle.

Arm poses are definitely much easier, like the blacksmith I made for Armies on Parade. Swapping out weapons and heads lets you change from a swinging weapon, to a lunge

tmp_22232-IMG_20161014_194437014-1469187584.jpg

Archived