King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host box

james.speller

My local GW still has a King Vlagorescu's box in stock, should I buy it and focus on flesh eaters as my death army, instead of a combination of bloodknights and ghoul patrols? 

Guys; I have the following flesh eaters models already:

Ghoul king on ZD

Sweet old metal Ghoul king on foot

4x Crypt Ghast courtiers

2x Crypt Haunter courtiers

1x Crypt infernal courtier

40x Ghouls

3x Crypt Horrors

I think given what you have, adding it will give you a solid (complete?) FEC army for most things you want unless you want some of the other battalions.  I bought it to start my FEC journey because it had such a great "core" to the army in it but I didn't have any existing models so it was an easier choice for me.

23 minutes ago, james.speller said:

Did you build all the big guys as crypt horrors or flayers? I keep going back and forth on how I want to run them.

Horrors are a strong core, a hammer unit that gets stuck in and keeps on hammering. Flayers are fast-moving harassers, good for messing with a unit your opponent thought was safe or grabbing an objective. Flayers are also a good source of mortal wounds, especially if you can up their number of attacks.

As far as which one you want, the answer is both. Which one do you want to start with? Probably you'll get more use out of horrors than flayers. The former are a beatstick, the latter are more of a finesse tool that you'll get more out of when you understand the army a little better.

5 minutes ago, wayniac said:

For me I plan to expand and have 6 of each plus the relevant Courtiers if I so choose.  Since I don't plan to spam them out, I don't think I'll need more for a while.

It's probably good to have nine flayers eventually. The deadwatch is a really good battalion that gives them a serious offensive punch.

53 minutes ago, james.speller said:

I know I've got enough for 3x20 ghouls for the ghoul patrol if I buy it, but will it give me enough to run a decent Abattoir formation as well?

Remember that each unit can only be a part of a warscroll battalion and not more than one.

4 hours ago, james.speller said:

Did you build all the big guys as crypt horrors or flayers? I keep going back and forth on how I want to run them.

Why not build them as both.  Pick up some magnets for a minimal investment and magnetize the arms.  This way you can run them any way you want.  It's actually not that hard to do with a drill and a hobby knife.

I'd be happy to tell you how and send some pics of mine.  Just let me know if you're interested.

Also, the box set is a steal.  You get almost $100 of models for free.  IMO this would round off your army very nicely.

When I get around to building my Death army I plan on combining the 3 start collecting sets (if there still around) for variety and to get a full 10 hexwraiths. 

But they sold two of those sets in my local shop the other day. Guys love the flesh eaters. 

41 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

A full set of five horses is only $20 on eBay, and both kits contain enough bits to make all the riders. I bought both boxes and have ten hexwraiths and ten black knights!

The best way is magnetize the rider so that you can change from one set to the other one (there is also a little modification to do in the saddles but really minor one.

12 minutes ago, deynon said:

The best way is magnetize the rider so that you can change from one set to the other one (there is also a little modification to do in the saddles but really minor one.

I have limited patience for magnets. There's a point where my $20 is worth less than my time. Also, my paint scheme for my skeletons is really different from my paint scheme for my ghosts.

But you're right, - it wouldn't be very hard at all, if you're inclined to do the work.

Just now, ElectricPaladin said:

I have limited patience for magnets. There's a point where my $20 is worth less than my time. Also, my paint scheme for my skeletons is really different from my paint scheme for my ghosts.

But you're right, - it wouldn't be very hard at all, if you're inclined to do the work.

The horses are the only part fixed, but the problem doesn't sussist. It need only one point to magnetize in almost the center of the sabble and you're ok.

Obviously is a way to keep money, if you choose differently it's anyway ok^^ 

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I was thinking of a way to put the hexwraiths on legs and use them as graveguard with greatweapons by greenstuffing the saddlelegs to walking position.
But now, looking at the kit for real it seems a bit awkward and time-consuming

Yeah… that sounds really hard. It might look cool if you're up for the sculpting. Maybe just use the feet and basically rebuild the legs entirely as robed?

Well I casted a ton of chaos cultists in sections so I thought that also: use the robe legs and replace the feet or hell, keep the boot feet (only use the 1-2 robeish legs) as the mounted skellie feet are also curved to the horse.

The robe style doesn't even match well however.

2 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

I was thinking of a way to put the hexwraiths on legs and use them as graveguard with greatweapons by greenstuffing the saddlelegs to walking position.
But now, looking at the kit for real it seems a bit awkward and time-consuming

The problem I think is that the top half is too movement oriented. So if you were to put it on a static pose like legs or robes it would just look weird.

Archived