Steam Tank - Flop in AOS?

Paul Conti

It seems like with a 300 point price tag, a nerfed profile, and unfavorable rules changes, the Steam Tank has been sitting on the side lines a lot where it was once a staple of Empire forces.

What do you all think? Am I missing out by not running this more? What are the arguements for inclusion?

well it also has a 3+ save and is not to bad in close combat being able to do mortal wounds. The steam tank alone is not worth it. But the steam tank + grim burlockson means it can heal d3 wounds in your hero phase. it has multiple guns and the life magic can also heal it. Having a cannon is a plus but it can be a real pain to deal with. 

Take into account the enemy has to deal with it if not you'll be raining cannon ball shots or grabbing objectives. The enemy will have to dedicate a good portion to take it out especially if you can heal it. 

Is it top tier umm maybe not but it is still good and a viable choice in a competitive setting.

The issue is it's a bullet magnet, and to get the full 300 points out of it you need to get it into combat or at least in range of the steam gun. The re-rolls you get for damage,charge, movement and number of attacks are nice.    

It's a thing of beauty if you need a couple of turns respite against a juicy model. 

Also if you hit it with Mystic Shield and Shield of Thorns then oh my lord. And a battlemage healing D3 per hero phase can make all the difference. 

Also it's important to remember that More More Pressure allows it to re roll all of it's random attributes. 

Yeah, it can re roll to move? Or its steam gun attacks or its grind attacks? Big deal?

ALL of its random attributes so that D6 damage benefits too. 

Its expensive but it's multi purpose. Keep it out of harms way for a few turns and delete heros (don't forget the engineers long rifle). Or charge it forward to hold up charging units. It doesn't outperform most things in combat but who wants to spend 2 turns chewing through a 3+ save (or a re rollable 2+ save bouncing wounds back on a 5/6 with Shield of Thorns)? 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say build your army around it.

2 of these, a hurricanum (or 2?), maybe a lore master, grim burloksson, (and a unit of quarrellers and thunderers to go with it and profit from his bonus, they aren't bad in any case) and some cheap battleline melee unit to bring a lot of bodies. Ow.. and a griffhound.. just because you have powerfull shooting and preventing alphastrikes is always good.

Another option would be getting the empire battalion (not sure how it's called) with a lot of freeguild handgunners and  add 2 steamtanks and a hurricanum and possibly a mage or Grim that might work too.. I was impressed by the +x to hit and wound rolls they got (and that was when my opponent used a lot of melee in there.. with handgunners it would be more impressive. It also gives bodies for objectives and alternative targets (they'd want to bring them below 20 to get rid of the bonus). Ow and a grifhound.

I've had 50/50 results;

• Bad: Expensive compared to other behemoths, need a cogsmith and/or wizard with lifeform
  • Good: Held up flanks, scared away behemoths into the middle, taken out large wound count models  

It's hard to justify a Steam Tank in a smaller scaled battle unless you have a strong use case and a battle plan that revolves around it. Personally for the 300-400 points (including the wizard or cogsmith to buff) I'd rather spend it on 30 Greatswords or a Hurricanum.

Archived