How to stay motivated?

1 hour ago, Flippy said:

I understand you very well! For me, the answer (or at least a temporary solution) is: smaller games. A Warcry band is much more manageable than a full army and still lets you taste the faction. For WH40k I recently agreed with a friend that we should try Combat Patrol - a single box is, again, something I can reasonably plan for. Could such projects grow into „proper” armies? Maybe, but I try not to pressure myself.

I agree. Warcry fixed a lot of issues i had with 3rd edition and also made me enjoy my old models again that got shoved into legends too. It is really easy to proxy models by just looking at the weapon profiles. I am also in the process of building a Warcry board. It is actually doable because the board is really small and i dont have to build a complete 60x44 size board.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

I might have mentioned this but my trick is that I have to paint at least 40 minutes per week. That way I am always making progress but never feel bad or burnt out if I can’t manage more than that. I am stupidly busy with work and family but I find the time spent painting calms me and I really enjoy it.

I misread that as "40 miniatures" for a moment then and my mind boggled. 40 minutes seems a very manageable goal though.

• Like 1

this hobby is first and foremost a creative endeavor for me: building physical things and then painting them. I like working with my hands. Modeling is how I do art.

After that, I do enjoy the narrative and 'exploring' the world created for us to mess around in.

Playing is third because I can play whatever ruleset I want with the models I have.

while I really enjoy the Mortal Realms as a setting, I don't let GW business decisions affect how i feel about my own artworks (minis), barring the occasional splurge that I maybe shouldn't have spent money on.

Check out some non-Warhammer minis if you want to do the art without "Warhammer" as an IP

• Like 1

Yeah, decision making paralysis is certainly a thing. I personally try and pick a theme and direct all my efforts to that. I have a goal that once I start painting, I have to see it through before I can butterfly on to something else. I also maintain a project queue to try and help me stick with my decisions. I also try and forget about why I am painting the model in front of me and focus on finding the joy in each paint job.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Yeah, decision making paralysis is certainly a thing. I personally try and pick a theme and direct all my efforts to that. I have a goal that once I start painting, I have to see it through before I can butterfly on to something else. I also maintain a project queue to try and help me stick with my decisions. I also try and forget about why I am painting the model in front of me and focus on finding the joy in each paint job.

There is an idea in game design that players will tend to optimize the fun out of a game. I think that is also a danger when it comes to painting miniatures. Especially if you paint them with the intention of using them to play, because then you start to think in terms of points per painted model and efficiently getting units on the table. For me, batch painting a unit I don't love, but which is good in game absolutely turns painting into a chore. Conversely, I have never regretted painting a one-off model that I just liked the look of. Even if it never ends up hitting the able at all.

But of course, if you want to have a fully painted army eventually, you will have to sit down and work through the less exciting parts of that at some point.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

I agree. Warcry fixed a lot of issues i had with 3rd edition and also made me enjoy my old models again that got shoved into legends too. It is really easy to proxy models by just looking at the weapon profiles. I am also in the process of building a Warcry board. It is actually doable because the board is really small and i dont have to build a complete 60x44 size board.

I've dipped my toe in Necromunda and had a blast. Main reason for me breaking off from AoS (besides the BoC situation) was time. Since I barely get any games the hobbying aspect felt like it was missing the reward and social aspect of playing games. Painting up 2k+ models I barely would use simply wasn't worth the effort and so I kept setting myself up to fail.

Today I've gotten rid of most of my AoS stuff and kept the stuff I want to use for different games. I did keep my 40k stuff since those models carries a lot of sentimental value. Other than that my focus is solely based on skirmish type games and other board/tabletop games of varied complexity. Exploring this side of the hobby has been a fantastic decision since I am not longer stuck the 'sunk cost' nonsense and the feeling of "I have to finish my army." Indeed, selling/giving away stuff I know I will never ever touch or use again really made current projects a lot more fun.

Cause in the end life changes us and just because you used to doesn't mean you have to continue. Perhaps it is family, studies, work, or other hobbies you end up prioritising. As so often pointed out, GW is just a business and you owe them nothing.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Lately, I have been feeling a bit down, and painting Warhammer has helped me deal with that. So I guess this is what keeps me motivated to paint : to know I am creating something beautiful, no matter how slow I paint (painting ~45 minutes a day when I can, it's gonna be slow).

Painting can be very therapeutic. Without wanting to talk about my problems too much, I have to say that one of the reasons I got back into Warhammer after a long time away from it was because I have mental health problems and I was encouraged to have a hobby. It does help a lot.

And you're so right, you are creating something beautiful! I know I'm nowhere near being the best painter around, but I paint my models to the best of my abilities, and that makes me happy. 

• Like 3