TOW 1.0 - Orc & Goblin Tribes

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Guess I'm just not eager to paint all the Night Goblins.  I might be painting a bunches of Skaven, and I know I'll be painting bunches of Chaos Dwarfs :D

Main problem of common goblins is that they're impetuous - it can be a problem for the mounted units because they have a wider charge range so they're more prone to be forced to charge something they don't want to (especially if you have one of your precious mages in the unit). There is no black orc in the Troll Horde list, so means to neutralize that are restricted (mainly one of the new magic items), be careful about that.

Edited by Sarouan
  • Thanks 1

The new Black Orc Bigboss compared to some printed Avatar of War mini's.

All from the AoW battle regiment sets, The Orc boyz I printed at 105%, the rest at 100%. I really like the AoW mini's. Felix Paniagua is the sculptor of AoW mini's, a long time ago he worked for GW. He sculpted a couple of beautiful, soon to be re-released dwarfes.

From left to right, Goblin, orc boy, savage orc, orc boy, TOW BO Bigboss, stone troll, orc boy, goblin. I think the scale is perfect. Still room for Big'uns, Black orcs and Black Orc Warboss scale wise.

image.png.0094110a10723fa74c4d81cbb2e75140.png

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As all I can do right now is dreaming about the time when I'll be able to play (and painting... I should't be slacking on that 🙄), I'm toying with a Troll Horde list. I'm rusty at this, so tell me what you think:

Spoiler

++ Characters [781 pts] ++
Orc Weirdnob [230 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 4 Wizard, On foot, Idol of Mork, Talisman of Protection, Troll Magic)

Troll Hag [270 pts]
(Hand weapon (Gnarled stump), Troll vomit, Swamp breath, Heavy armour (Scaly skin), Effigy Of Mork, Troll Magic)

Orc Weirdboy [146 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 2 Wizard, War Boar, Buzgob's Knobbly Staff, Troll Magic)

Orc Bigboss [135 pts]
(Hand weapon, Heavy armour, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner], On foot, Sword of Swiftness)

++ Core Units [804 pts] ++
4 Common Troll Mob [180 pts]
(Hand weapons, Great weapons)

4 River Troll Mob [212 pts]

20 Orc Mob [232 pts]
(Hand weapons, Thrusting spears, Light armour, Shields, Boss (champion) [Da Thinkin' Orc's 'At], Standard bearer [Banner of Iron Resolve], Musician)

++ Special Units [212 pts] ++

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++
Giant [200 pts]
(Giant's club, Light armour)

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

I'm considering dropping the giant and use the points to get some boar boys, but the giant fits better the theme. I coul also use those points to add an extra troll to some the existing units, but I think they should do ok as they are. Thoughts?

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 7:30 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Guess I'm just not eager to paint all the Night Goblins.  I might be painting a bunches of Skaven, and I know I'll be painting bunches of Chaos Dwarfs :D

I’m funnily enough incredible eager in painting currently my night goblins and black orcs,

although that might chance with the skaven release coming at some point

On 5/1/2024 at 9:02 AM, Jator said:

As all I can do right now is dreaming about the time when I'll be able to play (and painting... I should't be slacking on that 🙄), I'm toying with a Troll Horde list. I'm rusty at this, so tell me what you think:

Hide contents

++ Characters [781 pts] ++
Orc Weirdnob [230 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 4 Wizard, On foot, Idol of Mork, Talisman of Protection, Troll Magic)

Troll Hag [270 pts]
(Hand weapon (Gnarled stump), Troll vomit, Swamp breath, Heavy armour (Scaly skin), Effigy Of Mork, Troll Magic)

Orc Weirdboy [146 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 2 Wizard, War Boar, Buzgob's Knobbly Staff, Troll Magic)

Orc Bigboss [135 pts]
(Hand weapon, Heavy armour, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner], On foot, Sword of Swiftness)

++ Core Units [804 pts] ++

20 Orc Mob [232 pts]
(Hand weapons, Thrusting spears, Light armour, Shields, Boss (champion) [Da Thinkin' Orc's 'At], Standard bearer [Banner of Iron Resolve], Musician)

++ Special Units [212 pts] ++

++ Rare Units [200 pts] ++
Giant [200 pts]
(Giant's club, Light armour)

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

I'm considering dropping the giant and use the points to get some boar boys, but the giant fits better the theme. I coul also use those points to add an extra troll to some the existing units, but I think they should do ok as they are. Thoughts?

I haven't yet played a game, but I think that is looking like a much more competitive Troll Horde than mine.  But I have what I have, and don't want more stuff, so mine is 2 Hags, 9 and 9 of Stone and River Trolls (all great weapons), and 2 Giants (because mancrushers are meh and look way better with spare Dankhold bits on their heads and arms :D  ).

• Like 1

I got the Almanack, but apparently the warscrolls (datasheets?) for the Trolls themselves are not in that tiny book.  Do I actually need to get the Ravening Hordes big book?  Or can I just go off the Old-World-Builder stat lines for the Trolls?

Wasn't sure if the Ravening Hordes has other important rules for Orcs and Goblins that might be needed.  Guess it's good exercise carrying around twice the book-weights....

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I got the Almanack, but apparently the warscrolls (datasheets?) for the Trolls themselves are not in that tiny book.  Do I actually need to get the Ravening Hordes big book?  Or can I just go off the Old-World-Builder stat lines for the Trolls?

Wasn't sure if the Ravening Hordes has other important rules for Orcs and Goblins that might be needed.  Guess it's good exercise carrying around twice the book-weights....

Ideally you need the Ravening Hordes book or pdf. But with Old World Builder or New Recruit I think you have acces to almost everything that is needed to play.

image.png.827bf4d9df67f54facac0e65cf139de6.png

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 5:15 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I haven't yet played a game, but I think that is looking like a much more competitive Troll Horde than mine.  But I have what I have, and don't want more stuff, so mine is 2 Hags, 9 and 9 of Stone and River Trolls (all great weapons), and 2 Giants (because mancrushers are meh and look way better with spare Dankhold bits on their heads and arms :D  ).

I totally understand sticking to what you have. In my case I was considering getting a hag and some classic trolls anyway, so I just got an extra excuse to do so!
If you get  a game before I do tell me how yo do.

Gotta say we, O&G players, are truly spoiled with choice. The Grand Army already allowed for very different lists, but we got two awesome armies of infamy that are really very different from each other. And I want to play with all of them.

• Like 1