Sylvaneth Wyldwoods - how many points does it cost?

TeMPlar

Question

Hi all. I just start AOS and build my first army of Sylvaneth.

1) The local hobby venue owner tells me I need to pay 100 points per Sylvaneth Wyldwoods for my Ancient tree lords's silent communion spell. Meaning that if I did not pay any reserved points for Wyldwoods, I will not be able to use Silent Communion spell during the battle, is this true?

2) Same logic for other spells that "summon" a Wyldwood, do I need to reserve points for those woods?

3) Understood Allegiance allows me to place one Wyldwood on the battlefield at the start of the game, but usually is there any limitation on the number of Wyldwoods to be put on the table per game?

Thanks you in advance and below is the description of Silent Communion for your easy references.

"Silent Communion: In the hero phase, a Treelord Ancient can commune with the realmroots, calling forth a glade of trees. Roll a dice. On a result of 4 or more, you can set up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. Each Citadel Wood must be placed within 15" of the Treelord Ancient, and not within 3" of any other models. "

8 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, TeMPlar said:

Hi all. I just start AOS and build my first army of Sylvaneth.

1) The local hobby venue owner tells me I need to pay 100 points per Sylvaneth Wyldwoods for my Ancient tree lords's silent communion spell. Meaning that if I did not pay any reserved points for Wyldwoods, I will not be able to use Silent Communion spell during the battle, is this true?

2) Same logic for other spells that "summon" a Wyldwood, do I need to reserve points for those woods?

3) Understood Allegiance allows me to place one Wyldwood on the battlefield at the start of the game, but usually is there any limitation on the number of Wyldwoods to be put on the table per game?

Thanks you in advance and below is the description of Silent Communion for your easy references.

"Silent Communion: In the hero phase, a Treelord Ancient can commune with the realmroots, calling forth a glade of trees. Roll a dice. On a result of 4 or more, you can set up a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. Each Citadel Wood must be placed within 15" of the Treelord Ancient, and not within 3" of any other models. "

1) He (or she) is full of it. :) Sylvaneth Wyldwoods do not have a points cost associated with them. That owner may be making up their own house rule, but if you ask 10 experienced Sylvaneth players, I'd wager almost all of them will have the view that Sylvaneth Wyldwoods have already been factored into the cost of the faction's units, and that there's no need for a house rule that creates a points cost for Sylvaneth Wyldwoods. 

Regarding Silent Communion, as long as you have a Sylvaneth Wyldwood available, you can bring it on via the Treelord Ancient's Silent Communion on a roll of 4 or more in your hero phase. Also, Silent Communion is an ability, not a spell. And again there's no point cost (and no reinforcement point cost) to bring on a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. 

2) Nope.

3) Yeah there's a limitation, which is explained on the Sylvaneth Wyldwood warscroll. A Sylvaneth Wyldwood constitutes up to 3 Citadel Wood bases. You don't have to drop 3 Citadel Wood bases. You can drop 1 Citadel Wood base for a Sylvaneth Wyldwood, or 2, but you can't do more than 3, and there are different restrictions in terms of their placement, e.g., sometimes you have to place them a certain number of inches away from enemy models. Each means of generating a Sylvaneth Wyldwood has its own restrictions, so definitely read the rules carefully. For example, the restrictions are different for the Verdant Blessing spell vs the Treelord Ancient's Silent Communion ability.

58 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

1) He (or she) is full of it. :) Sylvaneth Wyldwoods do not have a points cost associated with them. That owner may be making up their own house rule, but if you ask 10 experienced Sylvaneth players, I'd wager almost all of them will have the view that Sylvaneth Wyldwoods have already been factored into the cost of the faction's units, and that there's no need for a house rule that creates a points cost for Sylvaneth Wyldwoods. 

Regarding Silent Communion, as long as you have a Sylvaneth Wyldwood available, you can bring it on via the Treelord Ancient's Silent Communion on a roll of 4 or more in your hero phase. Also, Silent Communion is an ability, not a spell. And again there's no point cost (and no reinforcement point cost) to bring on a Sylvaneth Wyldwood. 

2) Nope.

3) Yeah there's a limitation, which is explained on the Sylvaneth Wyldwood warscroll. A Sylvaneth Wyldwood constitutes up to 3 Citadel Wood bases. You don't have to drop 3 Citadel Wood bases. You can drop 1 Citadel Wood base for a Sylvaneth Wyldwood, or 2, but you can't do more than 3, and there are different restrictions in terms of their placement, e.g., sometimes you have to place them a certain number of inches away from enemy models. Each means of generating a Sylvaneth Wyldwood has its own restrictions, so definitely read the rules carefully. For example, the restrictions are different for the Verdant Blessing spell vs the Treelord Ancient's Silent Communion ability.

Thanks for your prompt reply and detailed explanation. 

I mean... if it's broken, it's broken. But I think this is a lot of hysteria. I'd like to see some data before I go around mangling the rules, which have shown themselves to be quite elegant and balanced, and not just by GW's typical standards. Do people have the sense that Sylvaneth are rolling them left and right? If so, then sure, maybe we need to change this. If not, leave it the hell alone.

As someone who has played a decent number of games verses Sylvanteth, the woods feel very OP. If I was going to house rule it, I would not put a point cost on them, but limit the number that can be added after the first round to 1 each use of the ability. The guy I play against has like 24 wildwoods and can really spam the board. 

All of my losses were to my inexperience playing against Sylvaneth in general and my specific general inexperience at the game (so I forget some of my rules, etc.)

On 30-10-2016 at 8:22 PM, Cerlin said:

As someone who has played a decent number of games verses Sylvanteth, the woods feel very OP. If I was going to house rule it, I would not put a point cost on them, but limit the number that can be added after the first round to 1 each use of the ability. The guy I play against has like 24 wildwoods and can really spam the board. 

All of my losses were to my inexperience playing against Sylvaneth in general and my specific general inexperience at the game (so I forget some of my rules, etc.)

Inexperience makes it hard to Base choices upon. Sylvaneth has tricks, if you don't know them that might ****** you... but that isn't imbalance or OPNESS. . Basicly a sylvaneth player or the rule makers cannot be blamed for your lack of knowledge. In tournament people should not be surprised and thus the effect will be much less.

The guy I play against has like 24 wildwoods and can really spam the board. 

How much terrain are you using? Are you running a gunline or bunkering? When I've played I've found that the Sylvaneth player tends to run out of space for new Wyldwoods very quickly, especially if both armies advance. 

What does concern me somewhat is monsters being unable to cross them as the tree trunks get in the way. My Nagash for example is on a CD as a base. Of course it can fly, but with a base that big, it can be very difficult to find a landing zone.

I play sylvaneth and I don't find wildwoods OP in the slightest.  They are necessary for the army to be able to compete especially as it has very little access to mortal wounds.  I usually find it difficult to place the woods but we use a lot of scenery on our tables.  Perhaps if you are not placing much scenery then they could make much more impact.

I've also found that they barely ever kill anything from the dangerous terrain rule and the roused by magic rule only works on a 5+. They're much more useful for moving your army around the board rather than killing stuff but remember that the unit using the Navigate Realmroot ability has to come out of a different wildwood.  

Archived