The Painting Contract - November 2023

TheOtherJosh

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It seems I made a lot of mistakes with the direction of magnets. Luckily, I made so many that I still have a lot of options.

I usually put magnets in the torso first. Then i just stick the whole row of magnets on the arm and shove the arm part on the other end. Cant really go wrong that way. I want to make a picture but im out of magnets XD.

Also finally painted something. Dont mind the huge gap, ill fix that some day if i have other things to greenstuff.

20231107_124922.jpg.46f66edd4dbd26d0ee1ed7136c4bcab2.jpg

• Like 2

Hello everyone!

This seems like a great way to share my hobby progress and keep my motivation levels high, as it feels like my friend group is going through a bit of a hobby drought at the moment!

This month, my goal is to complete the Monsta-Killaz warband for Warcry (and my AoS army) and then get stuck into a hero - maybe Gobsprakk or a Shaman. 

I am a bit of a slow painter, but I've already started working on some of the Monsta-Killaz. Here's where I'm at with one of my Gnarlwood Howlaz!

IMG_20231031_223305.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

8 minutes ago, Tinniez said:

Hello everyone!

This seems like a great way to share my hobby progress and keep my motivation levels high, as it feels like my friend group is going through a bit of a hobby drought at the moment!

This month, my goal is to complete the Monsta-Killaz warband for Warcry (and my AoS army) and then get stuck into a hero - maybe Gobsprakk or a Shaman. 

I am a bit of a slow painter, but I've already started working on some of the Monsta-Killaz. Here's where I'm at with one of my Gnarlwood Howlaz!

IMG_20231031_223305.jpg

Loving the muted colors and dark atmosphere you‘ve conveyed there! Getting Mordheim vibes. Looking forward to more pics of your stuff… I‘m similar to you, I‘m also a very slow painter and frankly I wouldn‘t wanna be fast as quality takes time. Yes, there are lots of shortcuts out there but a good result will take effort and/or experience. 

edit: What I really like about your piece is the overall lighting. E.g. the arms are not as bright as the focal points etc. I‘m currently working on scenery, where I feel like I need to highlight more stuff more drastically than I would on characters as else those large pieces look a bit ****** from other points of view but you stick to your style, it‘s lovely!

Edited by MitGas
  • Thanks 1

@Tinniez Looks great!! I have yet to pick that kit up but i have a question for you. On the beast nob do you think it's possible to remove the dragon/reptile skull from the shoulder with only having to do minimal sculpting patch work or is it like one big chunky piece?

I find the model a bit too busy and looking for ways to tone it down a little. 

4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

This is the set I decided on.

IMG20231111213909.jpg

Okay, I spoke too soon. XD Looking forward to the assembled pics, pretty difficult to get the full picture there! Certainly a smart way to do it, especially if you go for a universally lit style like the Eavy Metal one e.g.

Working on my statues now.... ironically the stone pedestals take more time than the actual statue as I don't like the drybrushed look so I'm painting over it and trying to make it look sharper (many edges are very blunt unfortunately). I guess Slaanesh approves of me being a neurotic moron.

edit: oh yeah, my teal aging on the bronze is a bit too strong (blame the oil color's vibrancy) but while it's a happy accident, I do like it - looks really magical that way, if a bit unrealistic.

IMG_2888.jpg

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Tinniez said:

@Vasshpit It would be easier to leave the backpack off, I think.
The skull has a seam down the middle, but it is a good chunk of plastic.

@MitGas Lovely work! What oil brand/colour are you using for that verdigris?

I've used Abteilung 502 Turquoise Light for it. That series is overall pretty damn good IMO (and somewhat cheap as you can get a lot more different colors for the same money), I feel that the really expensive oil colors are even easier to blend than them (perhaps due to them having more oil in them, the Abteilung ones are made to dry faster (still take quite long) so I figure they got less actual oil in them) but that's easy to remedy if needed. I'd either mix it with another color or apply it a lot more over the mini if you want a more realistic look though, it's strong if you just put it into the cracks, even if you thin it a lot. Well, I wanted the statue to look mostly like newer bronze cause a wholly green, realistic statue would look too similar to my stone color but yeah...if you want to magic magic effects or something, this color is golden. Might use it on a Lord of Change, I figure it would look great on those feathers (looks lovely on the statue's neck).

I've used Vallejo Model Color Bronze and mixed that with Vallejo Game Color Abyssal Turquoise in the dark spots and drybrushed the hell outta it with a tiny brush to get a really fine look to it, so the metal is quite pre-shaded.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MitGas said:

Okay, I spoke too soon. XD Looking forward to the assembled pics, pretty difficult to get the full picture there! Certainly a smart way to do it, especially if you go for a universally lit style like the Eavy Metal one e.g.

The main reason they look like this is that it's mostly contrasts over white. Not my favourite, but I don't have the time to do every model better since I want to give everyone something.

I love your corrosion, the more intense effect will be visible from further away.

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

The main reason they look like this is that it's mostly contrasts over white. Not my favourite, but I don't have the time to do every model better since I want to give everyone something.

I love your corrosion, the more intense effect will be visible from further away.

Yeah, I feel it‘s almost impossible to paint every single model to a very high standard unless you run an elite force. I mean it can be done but I think you’d need a very specific mindset for it. I don’t like that you sound like you’re explaining yourself, no shame in cranking out quick TT models. Plus, you can always add some details to them later on. It‘s about fun after all… I think it‘s good to put in effort into your favorite units or heroes but it‘s actually smart to take shortcuts when you try to have a high output. I could never paint multiple armies as I’m way too slow in my approach. 😅And I think it‘s totally fine - a) you can paint sick stuff with contrast and b) one of our players did his Nurgle army via dipping them, one of the oldest shortcuts out there. His army looks damn pretty good all in all (that style naturally suits Nurgle well, I think it would be worse on let‘s say Idoneth or pristine warriors), would look great if he could be bothered to add in some final highlights etc. But he also just wants to get stuff done and when we play, he‘s got a fully painted army while I field the least thematic force of Tzeentch out there… the mostly grey, colorless host of laziness! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the praise, it was really easy! Like I‘ve said, it looks more like a magical statue than an oxidized one, but it kinda works in this setting. 😁 Coming back to shortcuts, I can only recommend everyone to give oil colors a shot. Yes, it‘s annoying to need other brushes, thinner and the like and seal it after you’re done but it‘s a godsend if you batch paint or want to try things (as it can be removed) or for weathering in general! I could imagine it to work well with contrast too actually, as it would probably give it more color variety in the shadows but I figure you‘d need to varnish the contrast paint before putting oils on it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, I feel it‘s almost impossible to paint every single model to a very high standard unless you run an elite force. I mean it can be done but I think you’d need a very specific mindset for it. I don’t like that you sound like you’re explaining yourself, no shame in cranking out quick TT models. Plus, you can always add some details to them later on. It‘s about fun after all… I think it‘s good to put in effort into your favorite units or heroes but it‘s actually smart to take shortcuts when you try to have a high output. I could never paint multiple armies as I’m way too slow in my approach. 😅And I think it‘s totally fine - a) you can paint sick stuff with contrast and b) one of our players did his Nurgle army via dipping them, one of the oldest shortcuts out there. His army looks damn pretty good all in all (that style naturally suits Nurgle well, I think it would be worse on let‘s say Idoneth or pristine warriors), would look great if he could be bothered to add in some final highlights etc. But he also just wants to get stuff done and when we play, he‘s got a fully painted army while I field the least thematic force of Tzeentch out there… the mostly grey, colorless host of laziness! 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the praise, it was really easy! Like I‘ve said, it looks more like a magical statue than an oxidized one, but it kinda works in this setting. 😁 Coming back to shortcuts, I can only recommend everyone to give oil colors a shot. Yes, it‘s annoying to need other brushes, thinner and the like and seal it after you’re done but it‘s a godsend if you batch paint or want to try things (as it can be removed) or for weathering in general! I could imagine it to work well with contrast too actually, as it would probably give it more color variety in the shadows but I figure you‘d need to varnish the contrast paint before putting oils on it. 

Yeah i also switched to painting less details and just get things done. I can always go back to things i want to repaint or just add some details. It feels nice to get through some boxes of grey from time to time.

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I did not have much time to paint yet this month, but I did have time to add this little sweety to the base of my Hurricanum:

20231113_095825~2.jpg

Those little guys are going to get me the whole new Cities line, aren't they? Though really I shouldn't. Emergency pet care proves very expensive.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1