How do you use / how much do you use summoning?

TerrorPenguin

16 hours ago, Sej said:

I like to use summoning to bring in banshees or carin wraiths depending on the situation.

Banshees are great threat towards skaven gun lines chances are you loose your banshee in a turn but she is going to do alot of damage to the gun line first and take up a turn of shooting keeping the rest of your army from being shot up.

The carin wraith i use to block movment. summon the sod up in the middle of your enemies lines and hes got to be removed before the bulk of the enemy can get past. Slap on an arcane shield and he has alot of survivability.

Oh and the best thing about summoning the banshee or the wraith is it dosent use up any of my hero spaces.

I often use the two togeather as thanks to the rule of one i cant bring more than one of each a turn.

27 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

Dire wolves if you have a corpse cart make amazing wall units. That can really deny a lot of the field to your opponent. Can be one of the tankiest low cost units in the game i think. Hex wraiths can do similar with out needing the cart. 

I am liking this idea, I always thought of summoning as a risky deep strike, but as a risky chaff or harrassment it does make a lot of sense. Especially if they are summoned early on in your hero phase, less risk of your wizard being dead

11 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Arkhan and morghasts give you +4 at full wounds, which should reliably be hitting 10.

Morghasts plus a hero with Master of the Black Arts command traits would be plus 2 but not really enough.

Mortis Engines and Corpse Carts with Unholy Lodestones can also help boost your magic.

I've never really used summoning, and I really don't think it's necessary as a Death player to use it. It may, as some people in this thread say, be strong though, so I should start trying it out. The problem for me is that most of my units cannot be summoned, or are not useful at their minimum strength, or I need them set up in the beginning for the battleline requirements... It's also difficult to find the space in my lists to leave room for summoning.

I use summoning a lot in a pure faction list. Or when I need to exceed hero count, even monster count. Once as I only have a ZD which I proxy as terroghiest against Stormcast, after being eliminated by celestial prime, I summon again just to face off the prime, and the pts are well spend.

I use summoning to drop morghast harbingers wherever I like. Especially useful in combination with a balewind vortex! Summoning them up to 36" away from my necromancer followed by their 3D6 charge means that I can take a surprisingly aggressive approach to objective-taking, or tying up important enemy units. It takes people off guard because the rest of my army is largely deathrattle and really slow.

53 minutes ago, inunn said:

I use summoning to drop morghast harbingers wherever I like. Especially useful in combination with a balewind vortex! Summoning them up to 36" away from my necromancer followed by their 3D6 charge means that I can take a surprisingly aggressive approach to objective-taking, or tying up important enemy units. It takes people off guard because the rest of my army is largely deathrattle and really slow.

Limited to 18" away from summoner. Still a nice tactic I call a "harbinger nuke"

30 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Limited to 18" away from summoner

Balewind Vortex doubles spell distances. It makes summoning so much more useful. Having to summon 9" away from enemy models still applies though, but the Harbinger's 3D6 charge helps to make that easier.

Archived