Cities of Sigmar Hobby & Lore 2: Dawnbringer Boogaloo

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You might be on to something there. For all those who (like me) don't 100% know what the Imperial Navy Breachers look like:

Hide contents

60010199046_ENGIntoDarkGroup1.jpg

I think there is some real potential there for a Freeguild conversion. Their coats and chest armour even kind of look like the Fusilier designs. They are generally not too techy. A lot of 40k models are hard to convert imo because of all the wires and cyber-gubbins they have all over the place, but for these guys none of those seem too hard to just cut off.

The big question is what unit they could be a base for. Maybe Fusiliers in a city heavily themed around KO allies? Still seems like a lot of work, though. I think maybe they work better as the base for a Freeguild Marshall in a tech-focussed city. If there was such a thing as a Freeguild engineer, they would be a really good start.

They'd look really cool in an Ironweld focused army, like elite, top-of-the-line engineer-handgunners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asbestress said:

They'd look really cool in an Ironweld focused army, like elite, top-of-the-line engineer-handgunners.

I really like that idea. I was thinking of trying to make them into steelhelms but actually I'd love to make them as heavily armoured engineer fusiliers.

• Like 2

Grabbed an old state trooper that was hanging out in the pile of shame and used him as a test mini for my colour scheme and as a crash test for learning slap chop painting. I want a fast and clean way to get my army box to a tabletop level and this method seemed the best to me. Needless to say I'm conquered. It wasn't a 10/10 because it's my first ever slap chop, but heh mistakes happen on your first tries and it's what test minis are for. I learned a lot today and I know what to do/not to do for the actual army minis.

Aucune description disponible.

Also Akhelian Green is best contrast ❤️

• Like 2

I don't  usually post work in progress shots, but I think my experience with speed-painting Steelhelms might be interesting to some people:

20230925_0817182.jpg.4be7527dbd6d8269e6f5804693a8645c.jpg

I had previously painted the champion as a test model and have now set the goal to paint the remaining non-command group models of the unit (seven dudes).

After abou 4 hours of work, they already look pretty decent, which surprised me. When these models were first revealed, I thought they would take a long time to paint and be very tedious. But that has not been my experience at all.

I found that Steelhelms are not hard to paint, but they are kind of complex models and you need to understand their uniform before getting started or you will have to go back and forth between paints a lot.

Steelhelms wear a breast plate over a cloth uniform, but that breast plate only covers their chest, not their backs. They also wear leather coverings over their legs and right arm, as well as a leather belt and collar. The collar, belt and leg covers are actually what stands out most from a tabletop angle:

20230925_0820392.jpg.2b8be348f37808e57df1e720992ab254.jpg

I recommend painting those in what you intend to be your primary army colour.

I personally glued the shields on before painting. It works fine. As a general rule, it's fine to paint the back of shields really sketchy. You basically never see/pay attention to them. My advice would be to first drybrush the shield, then do the cloth and leather, then metals last. Buy good metallics though, not citadel, or you will have to base coat everything with a dark paint beforehand again. The shield decorations are easily the most fiddly details on these models, and the fewer coats you need for those, the better.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Test mini : completed 

I went for a pseudo slapchop for everything non metallic, and the classic approach for metallics. It took me longer than I expected because I was discovering the new paint scheme as I went. But I'm happy with it so far and I know what to do know to paint the rest of the squad more efficiently.

Aucune description disponible.

Personally, I was too lazy to even slapchop and just glazed directly over a zenithal base coat.

I'm really enjoying seeing people's homebrew schemes. It just gives you an appreciation of the models you don't get from the official paint jobs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm really enjoying seeing people's homebrew schemes. It just gives you an appreciation of the models you don't get from the official paint jobs.

As soon as I saw the decals I ended up applying, I wanted to build a homebrew scheme about it. So I went for dark turquoise and white to evoque the ocean. I even did a bit of lore.

My City is called Cliffhaven, it's a maritime city in Aqshy that's nestled inside and above a cliff. There's a settlement on top of the cliff but 2 thirds of the city is inside the cliff in natural caverns and galleries that were arranged by the settlers to be more inhabitable. The largest of those cavern serves as the city's harbour and you enter it via an entrance in the rock. The city sends fleets of Dawnbringers to build outposts which is why my minis have a "mediterranean" basing texture, they're away founding new colonies.

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, JackStreicher said:

Rebased to 28,5mm bases. Added my Pavese stl and this is how they‘ve turned out

edit: The Fusils are about 10-20% too small sadly.

Is this the official confirmation we have been waiting for? :)

If so then phew thank god its 28mm and not 32mm after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

YES THESE ARE AMAZING I NEED THEM

I've resisted the temptation of 3d printing for a while now.

Would have probably succumbed to these if I had the place/money/free plugs for one. Gonna have to see if there are any printing services near me if/when the sculpts are released though!

• Confused 1

Playing around with the breacher kit to try and make a very chamon flavoured fusiliers and struggling a bit with the guns. Tried an ogor pistol which looked a bit too chunky so now trying some of these admech weapons which could work but im a touch unsure on them looking maybe a bit too futury. It could very much be something that will look a bit better when painted or with some fancy hat heads. Or even just a different style of pavise.

20231017_203131~2.jpg

20231017_203128~2.jpg

received_704298744928559~2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lightbox said:

Playing around with the breacher kit to try and make a very chamon flavoured fusiliers and struggling a bit with the guns. Tried an ogor pistol which looked a bit too chunky so now trying some of these admech weapons which could work but im a touch unsure on them looking maybe a bit too futury. It could very much be something that will look a bit better when painted or with some fancy hat heads. Or even just a different style of pavise.

20231017_203131~2.jpg

20231017_203128~2.jpg

received_704298744928559~2.jpeg

I don't think they look to futuristic.

Size wise seems similar to the ones on the Warhulk and the back of the weapon is quite close in aesthetics as well:

CRIj33zrqhIKbQ04.jpg

What could make it less futuristic could be trying to use green stuff to turn into into a one barrel gun, instead of multiple barrels one, but in the other hand you have the Fusilier "prime", which has multi shots as well, but in this case the aesthetics are a bit different:

Freeguild Fusiliers Take Aim and Fire on the Enemies of Sigmar - Warhammer  Community

My advice would be trying to go into a chunkier and single barrel and would fit perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are already a bunch of different levels of tech of guns in current and legacy kits:

20231018_0851412.jpg.729b474b58af7ef8a3ea2eb41a77524d.jpg

I think the gun you have on your model looks like a repeater rifle with a more ornate stock.

Personal opinion: Just start treating fantasy guns like we are already treating fantasy swords. Nobody bats an eye that Stormcast are running around with greatswords next to gladiuses, even though those are hundreds of years apart in real-world history. So at least I personally feel fine running wild west guns next to handcannons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, now that we have some pics of the sprues, what are we thinking on overall bit utility?

Infantry kits are great for the sheer amount of heads (Fusilier kit alone has 14! different helmeted heads) and arms in various poses/with different equipment (Fusilier arms with fuses, Steelhelm weapons) that are really useful for adding variety, although the Steelhelm kit lacks any base decor sadly.

Some surprising highlights for me are the Ironweld cannon and command squad. The cannon has an unexpected amount of extra options for crew equipment (compasses, sextants, bottles, helmets in hand, and you could make some interesting things with the empty hands that you can slot one of the base decor cannon shells into for the big guy!), alongside the fuse-stick(?) with helmet on the ground, a mallet, and around 10 spare shells for basing, while the command squad has some nice bits of basing material (signage, gargoylians, rocks with plants etc.).

Also, kinda surprised at the lack of individual hero models now that all the kits are on the website, with only the Marshal and Warforger.