Arming the Varanguard

Jamie

What weapons do people feel are best for the knight of ruin ? I now have a two boxes ready to get started 

I think swords are out of the question, despite looking amazing they fall short and have the chance to wound the knight who swing the hit 

ensorcelled weapons are better with 6 attacks and -1 rend, they seem very reliable 

But the spears have caught my attention, with 3 attacks at -1 rend and 2 damage, they turn scary on the charge with 3 attacks at 2+ to hit (if archaon is on the board) 3+ if not, 3+ to wound, -2 rend and 2 damage, not to mention that with 'relentless killer' they can pile in and attack again once per game, which you'd obviously chose on the turn they charge, but then again that comes with all weapons 

what do you guys think is the best choice 

IMO the Spears are the way to go, doubly so if you're up to some +Attack shenanigans in your list. The extra Rend on the charge makes a big difference and has natural synergy with their double pile-in special rule. The Daemon weapons are a bit lackluster compared to e.g. Skullreapers as the Mortal Wound on 2+ replaces the normal Wound roll instead of adding to it.

44 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Slightly off topic here but instead of starting up a new thread I was hoping to get an answer here.

Is Everchosen like the new chaos undivided faction?

No that would be Slaves to Darkness. Everchosen are the most elite members of the Chaos forces all together having parties on their own because they dont associate with normal chaos warriors/ mark specific warriors.

4 hours ago, Broken Netcode said:

No that would be Slaves to Darkness. Everchosen are the most elite members of the Chaos forces all together having parties on their own because they dont associate with normal chaos warriors/ mark specific warriors.

Who wants to be associated with those scum eh? Lol 

Yeah the Everchosen is archaon and his elite circles of Knights, with archaon present the Varanguard become Battleline so you can make a very fluffy elite guard for archaon, but I suppose they do fit into chaos undivded 

double misfire that is a good point I may arm them like that, the spears are very powerful though, would falling back and charging again work against slow armies when the Knights get bogged down as they'll never fail a battleshock 

Archived