First attempt to sculpt with Color Shapers

Lysandestolpe

OK. bare with me on the process of this thread. I am already bad at updating my other two but I hope to document a little more of what's happening with this one.

I got colorshapers (finally) and played with them for the first time last night. I haven't done much sculpting since 2008 and back then, everything came out like poop. Now 8 years later and last year of art school, I gave this another try.

Theme -

This giant will be positioned in a drunken stagger to imitate the awesome rules for this guy. I saw a pirate version of the giant on google that holds the empire barrel as a tankard full of ale and I wanted that as well. Pose will come tonight and future hobby packed days.

Sculpt -

I used one of the heads from the Nob box as reference and some "go with the flow" decisions on this one. Its a WIP so plase be kind but any constructive criticism is much appreciated.

Also, The pictures are terrible. I will try to get better photos next time.

IMG_6235.JPGIMG_6236.JPGIMG_6237.JPG

Thanks for looking! :)

Depending on the ratio of blue vs yellow makes it harder/softer. I used slightly more blue for the first part because it was sturdier. Then placed a little more yellow mix on top and it adheared and was easier to sculpt. I have no clue of consequences yet, it remains to be seen. Hopefully the ratio is still OK without compromising durability, etc.

Thanks! :)

Looking great! Very expressive face you've achieved. In terms of constructive feedback, perhaps go back to the teeth (teef?) They are quite uniform at the moment and it might be good to experiment with having one bigger than the other or even one of them broken? Just a thought though - feel free to ignore if you have a different vision ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Ademo said:

Looking great! Very expressive face you've achieved. In terms of constructive feedback, perhaps go back to the teeth (teef?) They are quite uniform at the moment and it might be good to experiment with having one bigger than the other or even one of them broken? Just a thought though - feel free to ignore if you have a different vision ?

Ooooh! I love that idea of the broken "toof". Great idea, man. Thanks! In terms of scale, one is actually bigger than the other. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking awesome! I wish I'd sculpted a few scrapes and scars on my giant in the end! I guess the only thing to watch is keepingbthe blend from plastic to gs as smooth as possible so might need some smoothing so it looks part of the skin and not stuck on if that makes sense?

Little bits but personally I prefer to use regular gs and use a fair bit of water to drag it and stretch it - I think an irregular shape to the edge helps trick the eye and stands out less. Then when cured, file it down so it's as thin and smooth as possible!

I imagine you could get a similar effect with liquid gs though - but I am by no means a great sculptor - but the above technique worked well enough for my orc slaughterpreist

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

This is awesome. One day I'll have to splurge on a sculpting tools set and play around it looks satisfying.

I mean, when people said color shapers were "game changers", my reaction was fairly indifferent. Trying them out was like rediscovering the world of art. You should definitely get the flat and round pointed one small/firm. They are fantastic!

Archived