Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin RTS discussion

5 hours ago, MitGas said:

becoming really good is not in the cards for me. Iā€˜m too lazy (and/or bad) to put in the extra effort to get further ahead.

don't feel too bad, SC2 is definitely one of the fastest RTS and IME one of the most punishing. when it felt like "getting good" was more about memorizing build orders for a Meta rather than enjoying the game i noped out of multiplayer. never figured out how to defend against early zerg rushes either rofl.

i'll be creating maps for RoR, doing Conquest mode, and dipping my toes into multi to see how it feels compared to SC and AOE

• Like 2

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

don't feel too bad, SC2 is definitely one of the fastest RTS and IME one of the most punishing. when it felt like "getting good" was more about memorizing build orders for a Meta rather than enjoying the game i noped out of multiplayer. never figured out how to defend against early zerg rushes either rofl.

i'll be creating maps for RoR, doing Conquest mode, and dipping my toes into multi to see how it feels compared to SC and AOE

One of the key aspects I would be using it is to get inspiration for terrain pieces. The map editor looks awesome!

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thatā€™s so cool! šŸ˜ (and Gobsprakk makes sense too as not only a rival but his love of taking Tzeentch limbs as trophies lines up with that faction šŸ˜)

Interesting you swap them in by choosing another hero unit you take out of a roster instead of just an auto-add.

That could be very good indicator of future roster packs like if you buy an Ironjawz pack you can swap out the Kruleboyz units for mostly Ironjawz or do a mix. Same thing with Stormcast chambers, missing NightHaunt units and maybe even a Slaves to Darkness ally pack?

My hype is way up and the twitch stream hasnā€™t even dropped yet! šŸ˜
Ā 

2 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Thatā€™s so cool! šŸ˜ (and Gobsprakk makes sense too as not only a rival but his love of taking Tzeentch limbs as trophies lines up with that faction šŸ˜)

Interesting you swap them in by choosing another hero unit you take out of a roster instead of just an auto-add.

That could be very good indicator of future roster packs like if you buy an Ironjawz pack you can swap out the Kruleboyz units for mostly Ironjawz or do a mix. Same thing with Stormcast chambers, missing NightHaunt units and maybe even a Slaves to Darkness ally pack?

My hype is way up and the twitch stream hasnā€™t even dropped yet! šŸ˜
Ā 

The only downside I see with this approach is the balancing of those heroes and the online games. Imagine Yndrasta being too OP and playing against users that doesn't own the DLCs...

Yeah, thatā€™s the threat of any dlc though. Hopefully this is already showing the restraints of that because if you have to swap out say your Vexilor for Yndrasta making you lose their vital healing abilities and Yndrasta is both a high level last stage base hero along with a big resource & time cost then it could cost you in situations where sheā€™s swarmed and you needed a healer to hold the line and not a beat stick.

Edit: oh wow, I didnā€™t even see the physical release news! So happy itā€™s not just digital!(physical & cartridge player 4 life šŸ’Ŗ)

And the new hero pack also comes in the base game with the physical editions, noice.

ror-physical-release-en_1920x1080.jpg?it

ā€œThe physical edition comes with the full game and both hero DLCs!ā€Ā 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

Launch trailer time, baby. šŸŒŸĀ 

Thankfully someone clued me in on what that thing was that broke through the gates at the end. Couldnā€™t make heads of tails of it at first but makes sense itā€™s show up in a Ghur campaign.

Also frigginā€™ sweet rig:

Lastly, YouTuber Great Book of Grudges has really been diving in on the game with interviews with devs, multiplayer match with the Steel Faith modder for Total War and now is trying his hand at AoS lore videos.

12,000+ views on twitch was nice.

And heā€™s doing another twitch stream right now:

Ā 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

honestly if more Warhammer fans could get over themselves and see RoR as a fantasy successor to DOW1, there'd be less complaining. Really glad to see Venris and GBOG enjoying the game. I got the ultimate edition for 17% off from fanatical.com and am now PATIENTLY waiting to receive my early access key today!!!

I just received mine. It is installing!

• LOVE IT! 1

35 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin-review

Lukewarm but not damning review by Graham on RPS, who found the micro a bit much

This seems likely to be one of those "6 or 7/10 but add at least one point if you like the setting a lot" games

Ā 

I could barely finish this review TBQH. The author goes back and forth between sounding like an RTS fan and someone who's new to the genre. A random comparison to the Na'Vi becauseTzeentch is blue i guess?? And then the buried lede at the very end that he reviewed the game without even ENJOYING this kind of RTS...with no mentions of the links to DOW? come on man.

Most RTS games fall around a 7-8/10. Some of the issues he complained about (like units not doing anything without orders) are universal RTS gimmicks, yet he also doesn't mention that.

I've read good review on RPS, this one just felt too subjectively nitpicky and doesn't mention that subjectivity until the very end.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Just as a warning... PCGamer's reviewer straight up hates AOS as a setting, so expect weird bias against the game :| extremely effing disappointing how much people still aren't over End Times.

Wow, that Noah dude is a fckng moron. Can't believe that PC Gamer let him write stuff like that.

Sad that this kind of people are still around...

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I've read good review on RPS, this one just felt too subjectively nitpicky and doesn't mention that subjectivity until the very end.

There are some better balanced reviews out there as well:

https://www.wargamer.com/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-realms-of-ruin/review#:~:text=With its loving%2C characterful recreation,don't know what does.

Ā 

HAHAHA, PCgamer is hysterically biased! šŸ˜‚

I expected bad but not ā€œit certainly evokes the spirit of Age of Sigmar tabletop but unfortunately thatā€™s the worst version of Warhammerā€.

What an absolute tool. xDĀ 

Well ignoring that circus, spiffingbrit stream is entertaining(he found out how to train Mournguls & max out his Crossboos! Watch out!) and thereā€™s a unit guide now:

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Wow, that Noah dude is a fckng moron. Can't believe that PC Gamer let him write stuff like that.

Sad that this kind of people are still around...

never ceases to amaze me how bad faith reviewers can be tbqh. like did you volunteer to be this much of a wad or did you get stuck with the review? such a bizarre read. at least the RPS guy admitted this subgenre isn't for him!!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Just as a warning... PCGamer's reviewer straight up hates AOS as a setting, so expect weird bias against the game :| extremely effing disappointing how much people still aren't over End Times.

Who cares about reviews? We would enjoy the game no matter what they say!

PD: Just finished the first two campaign levels on max difficulty with all the extra objectivesĀ šŸ¤­

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, Ejecutor said:

Who cares about reviews? We would enjoy the game no matter what they say!

I mostly care because reviews are often how people make the decision to buy at release, wait for a sale, or simply ignore the game. So PCGamer being one of the biggest review sites means that WAYYY too many people are going to get this extremely biased view of AOS and Realms of Ruin with no pushback.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I mostly care because reviews are often how people make the decision to buy at release, wait for a sale, or simply ignore the game. So PCGamer being one of the biggest review sites means that WAYYY too many people are going to get this extremely biased view of AOS and Realms of Ruin with no pushback.

Also because DOW1 and 2 LITERALLY launched in the same fashion: 4 factions, small unit pools, army painter. But even though RoR is expanding the army painter AND adding the dev's map creation tool, it's suddenly not enough ???? It's like people simply forgot what an RTS is and how the DOWs felt.

It's super angering as someone who really enjoys how games are made and how games influence & iterate off each other.

• Like 3