Soulblight Gravelords Discussion - 3rd edition.

Overread

So, the Warscroll for Sekhar is out:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/01/fangs-of-the-blood-queen-how-neferatas-top-lieutenant-wages-war/

First impressions:

• Good spellcasting

Benefits from Legion of Blood allegiance abilities, so cast 2, unbind 2 both at +1. That's very solid. Her warscoll spell seems like some nice anti-ranged tech, too. Sadly, only anti targeted ranged, not mortal wound bombs. Too bad the Vampire lore is still sucks, though.

• Bad stats

7 wounds, 4+ save is low for a hero. 6" move no fly is slow. Melee stats are good, but can you and do you really want to get her into combat?

• Serpentine agility is bad, actually

Controversial take, I think: Serpentine agility at most reduces damage by 3/5ths if the opponent hits on 2s. More likely, it reduces damage by 1/2 if they hit on 3s. But against worse profiles, it can actually end up doing nothing. And it doesn't protect you from auto-hits (spells and abilities) at all. I'd rather have a 5+ ward and The Hunger.

• Time Swallower is also bad, actually

You need to get her up close to the enemy to use it (hard for Sekhar) and it's the best against slow units (probably not what you need to mortal down). This ability is very likely to do nothing even against 6" move dumb-dumbs. And it turns off your defensive ability.

---

My impression is that she is a good caster for Legion of Blood that will be hard to take down at range, between her spell, Look Out Sir, and Serpentine Agility. I view her as a support piece that helps protect you against shooting while providing magic support. In that context, even Time Swallower is pretty good, because you can use it to punish an enemy charge. Or at least that might be worth doing once Merciless Blizzard leaves play. Until then, just cast that.

Overall, I think she is good for what she is. I don't think she will become a fixture in every Soulblight tournament list, even though her abilities read as powerful at first glance.

• Like 2

I agree with that assessment. I think she'll actually fit very well into the "second small wizard" slot for Legion of Blood. In some lists I theorycraft, I have ~150-200 points left that I want to fill with another wizard, but a Vampire Lord feels like a bit of a waste when I don't have anything that'd really care about the +1 attacks buff after my first Vampire Lord's buff. Currently, I just slap a Necromancer and an endless spell in, but I think Sekhar would fit in quite well. She doesn't really want to be in melee for long with no Hunger, but is relatively resistant to shooting and can be in melee if she needs to be, which means that she can accompany a block of zombies or skeletons pretty well. Also, two casts for 160 points is nowhere else to be seen in our army, and I think that's valuable on its own.

I don't think she's an every list kind of character, but surprisingly I think they did a good job of giving us a foot hero vampire that somehow finds a niche not yet covered by the numerous other foot hero vampires we've gotten.

Also, as for why she doesn't have The Hunger, I saw someone give a lore-based hypothesis on the Facebook group that made sense to me: she's spent a lot of time in Ushoran's court and is above drinking from the filthy ghouls there, so she's learned to subdue her thirst for blood (at least as much as any Soulblight vampire can).

• Like 4

Sprues and Brews has infos on the new Regiments of Renown:

https://spruesandbrews.com/2024/02/03/dawnbringers-4-the-mad-king-rises-review-and-model-unboxings-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

---

Nefarata’s includes her, 5 Black Nights and 2 units of 10 Skeletons and allows her to change the battle tactic once per game at the end of the battleshock phase, and in addition turn off ward saves for a chosen unit within 12″ of her each turn

Usharan’s is very nice consisting of him, a unit of 10 Cryptgaurd and a unit of Morburg Knights, he gives all models within 12″ of him +1 attack each, and can replace each slain unit in this regiment once per game.

Manfred gets a unit of Grave guard and 2 units of Fell bats, and allows a unit near him to teleport outside of 6″ of the enemy (And that unit gets +1 attack) – a unit of Graveguard teleporting into your face is pretty scary!

Arkhan gets 2 of each Morghast and gives all models in his regiment a 2+ spell ignore ability.

Katakros gets 2 units of Immortis Guard, and gives them all an ability to stop nearby units from contesting objectives

And finally Lady Olynder gets 2 units of banshees and a unit of Haradins who can all stop nearby units from receiving commands, as well as getting strike first then when they charge over 8″ and can fall back and still charge

---

Also, Sekhars Army of Renown apparently prevents you from taking skeletons and zombies, but makes Vampire Lords battleline.

I don't get this one. I don't understand why that is good.

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I don't get this one. I don't understand why that is good.

Lore reasons (she has a group of vampire attendants, since AoS refuses to implement a distinction it’s all Vampire LORDS) or The Designers think Vampires are beatsticks 🤣

However it’s an nice excuse to play my 9 different VL Miniatures all at once (and see them being killed almost immediately xD)

even if a VloZD would be battleline: who cares?

Edited by JackStreicher

10 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

The Nulahmian army of renown is definitely not good. But it doesn't have to be. Not all rules are written with the competitive scene in mind. It'd be nice if all the weird, off-kilter ideas for zany armies could be competitive and silly fun both, but I'll take a mix as a more practical option.

Agreed, of course.

Although I also don't understand the non-competitive appeal of running a bunch of Vampire Lords as battleline, though. I guess we will have to wait until we see the actual rules, maybe something is still missing.

EDIT: Something was missing, you get a bunch of extra rules, actually.

Most notably, plots. Which are sort of like mini battle tactics that level up your heroes and give them bonuses for the rest of the game.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

Not a fan of the 'of renown' stuff, but I've ranted about that elsewhere.  As for Sekhar, she's ok.  Not great, but not actively bad.  It's frustrating to get yet another named infantry vamp hero when vamp hero on nightmare and new grave guard are so desperately needed, but she at least looks kind of weird and cool, and it's nice to see something specific to legion of blood.

I'm disappointed at the lack of OBR both in releases (I let myself get my hopes up for that rumored Morghast hero) and in the lore (I thought an ROR with Arkhan meant he was getting revived in this book - sadly not).

On the more positive side, the lore developments with Ushoran are neat, really have him shouldering his way into the ongoing story of the game and in particular the death factions in a big way.  I've been complaining that FEC needed important named heroes to establish and drive their place in the narrative, and that's finally really happening.  Kind of a shame to have Legion of Blood taking the L over it as Neferata's been forced into the roll of the jobber once too often in AoS, but as long as she comes out on top in the eventual showdown between her and Mannfred I'll be ok.

Also, Triumph and Treachery looks fun.  So even if I'm not keen on Sekhar or any of the 'of Renown' stuff, I'm still pretty hype to pick this book up.

Otherwise, imo 4th edition can't come soon enough, as I'm pretty sure this is it for Undead content (rules, models, & narrative) in 3rd edition, apart from that one nighthaunt group for warcry.  I'm not expecting anything else for the undead in the remaining Dawnbringers books, certainly not in terms of new rules or model releases.  I'm not exactly complaining, mind.  The FEC refresh really is impressive, and Ushoran's arrival has made a major mark on the setting.  Can't complain there.  And plenty of undead stuff happening in Old World, Warcry, Underworlds, etc to keep me occupied until we start seeing 4th ed battletomes.