Mighty Skullcrushers

Ollie Grimwood

I'm cranking up the number of Mighty Skullcrushers in my force from 3 to 9. The idea is to use them as a bit of a (mobile) anvil to the hammer of my Bloodreavers. I don't have the points to field them as the formation so the question is, do I field (and model them) as 3 units of three or one unit of 9 ?  3 units would give my greater flexibility and potential for causing mortal wounds (in certain situations). One big unit is easier to buff and would be a mighty 45 wound unit. 

I supose I could just make up the extra banners/horn blowers and run them either way. It's legal to do that but one unit with three banners and three musicians looks silly. 

What are your thoughts? 

I'm all about rule of cool and in my opinion would go one unit of 9, though it is a heck of a point sink. Could be a pretty good tank. I also do not like the look of three-man units that are pure command. Additionally, I have problems with asymmetry, so one unit of 6 and one unit of 3 bothers me. Two units of 6, perfect!

Well if you're playing competitively, or even semi competitively, you'll prefer them to be in 3 units of 3. That way battleshock isn't as much of an issue. Also if you model them that way, you have the option to field the formation if you decide to later on.

3x3 is ok, if you can use them as battle line you're sorted, more space for better units.

not the best save.

Their bravery tbh is good if you have a banner as once they kill a enemy model. 9, to loose a model from bravery you'd have to loose 4 to worry.

If you can fit the battalion in you've a really good chance on doing mortal wounds 

I've decided to go with 3 units of three and have found the points for a brass stampede. 4D3 mortal wounds is too good to pass up. Having 4 units provides a bit more versatility and a 9 strong unit on bases that big is a bit too unwealdy.  It doesn't look as good but I'm having a bit of success kit bashing a Khorne Lord on Skullcrusher so hopefully that'll make for it. 

The problem with the stampede is that you must be within 3" of another unit in the formation to get the automatic hits. So invariably, the first unit you charge in won't get the auto hits.

But then again, it all depends on when you believe you roll for the Murderous Charge. The Rule sates "After this unit completes a charge move...." Is this immediately after the charge move, or after you've charged all your units?

10 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

The problem with the stampede is that you must be within 3" of another unit in the formation to get the automatic hits. So invariably, the first unit you charge in won't get the auto hits.

But then again, it all depends on when you believe you roll for the Murderous Charge. The Rule sates "After this unit completes a charge move...." Is this immediately after the charge move, or after you've charged all your units?

this depends on how you see the game work, does it all happen at the same time or does it happen in stages? i play total war: warhammer and everything happens all at the same time, that is how i see the table top game work.

so id play it once everything has charged, as you'd all be doing it all at once IRL

Fair point on the charges. The bases are 3.5" long and the model arent much shorter so you can manage a 6" charge and still be with 3" of another unit as long as you're sensible. Of course careful positioning would extend that as only the first model has to be with 1/2" of the enemy and you could use your pile in to still get your combat attacks.

That is a bit gamey so only for tournaments ?.  I feel a little guilty mentioning it. 

15 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Fair point on the charges. The bases are 3.5" long and the model arent much shorter so you can manage a 6" charge and still be with 3" of another unit as long as you're sensible. Of course careful positioning would extend that as only the first model has to be with 1/2" of the enemy and you could use your pile in to still get your combat attacks.

That is a bit gamey so only for tournaments ?.  I feel a little guilty mentioning it. 

Good point, only first one needs to be in 1/2" :) 

Archived