Looking for help with an Eshin themed Skaven army

Kugane

Hello all,

it has been nearly 10 years since I restarted the hobby and I am now looking to make a skaven army, preferably Eshin. And I am now full of questions!

I was able to pick up some cheap boxes of Nightrunners and warplightning cannons and ended up buying some characters I liked to paint and possibly use in the future as a unit to start out with.

Currently I was able to pick up:

1x Verminlord Deceiver

1x Doomwheel

2x Warplightning Cannon

1x Ikit Claw

1x Queek the Headtaker

1x Deathmaster Snikch

1x Warlord Spinetail

4 boxes worth of Nightrunner sprues. I am planning to turn at least 15 to 20 of them into Gutterrunners and perhaps an Assassin, so that would leave me with 60 "bodies" to work with to create other stuff, maybe some Jezzails.

6x (or 3 if you count the shadows) Deathrunner

What would be optimal themed lists to go for at 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500 points?

How do Clawpacks work exactly? Can you have several clawpacks in the same army? (For example an Eshin Clawpack + Verminus Clawpack?)

I was considering a 30 Nightrunner, 15 Gutter runner, 2 assassins, 1 verminlord Deceiver list for a 1000 point army out of the stuff I have right now. Is it an option to turn 30 Nightrunners into Clanrats with spears and shields to make a "Eshin-like" Verminus Clawpack once I get a hold on some stormvermin and weapon units (not sure which weapon unit to go for)?

1 minute ago, Double Misfire said:

teleporting Verminlord Deceiver with an assassin inside, with an assassin inside, with an assassin inside, with an assassin inside, with Deathmaster Snitch inside

If only Verminlord Deceiver counted as a Skaven! I believe he is a demon and not Skaven?

Here's a neat Eshin trick. Run the Eshin Clawpack; take at least 1-3 Assassins, 3 units of Night Runners, and some Gutter Runners. Put the Assassins in the Night Runner units.

The Night Runners will be able to run and charge in the same turn; They have a base move of 7", plus a good roll of 6 will get them to 13". Slinking Advance lets them make a bonus move after deployment. That's a maximum of 26" before your opponent has done anything, if you have the first turn! You can get up in someone's face and start swinging before they can do anything. The Assassins can get early hits on characters and the Gutter Runners can harass and support where needed. Supplement the list with a Deciever, Arch-Warlock, Battle Standard Chieftan and whatever else your heart desires. 

9 hours ago, Aristo said:

Here's a neat Eshin trick. Run the Eshin Clawpack; take at least 1-3 Assassins, 3 units of Night Runners, and some Gutter Runners. Put the Assassins in the Night Runner units.

The Night Runners will be able to run and charge in the same turn; They have a base move of 7", plus a good roll of 6 will get them to 13". Slinking Advance lets them make a bonus move after deployment. That's a maximum of 26" before your opponent has done anything, if you have the first turn! You can get up in someone's face and start swinging before they can do anything. The Assassins can get early hits on characters and the Gutter Runners can harass and support where needed. Supplement the list with a Deciever, Arch-Warlock, Battle Standard Chieftan and whatever else your heart desires. 

Thank you very much for the feedback. What would be a good ratio for a nightrunner or gutter runner models? I suppose a 30-15 ratio at 1000 points would be good, but does it do well at larger numbers too? For example, I could turn the 80 skaven I have now into 60 Nightrunner and 20 Gutter runners.

3 hours ago, Kugane said:

Thank you very much for the feedback. What would be a good ratio for a nightrunner or gutter runner models? I suppose a 30-15 ratio at 1000 points would be good, but does it do well at larger numbers too? For example, I could turn the 80 skaven I have now into 60 Nightrunner and 20 Gutter runners.

On a wound roll of 6, Night Runners get -2 rend on their melee attacks if their unit is bigger than 20. They really need this buff, as Eshin doesn't get nearly as many synergies as Verminus can, so 30 would be a good bet. The Eshin Clawpack requires 3 units of them. I'd make a big unit of 30+ and some smaller ones to screen the main line. 20 Gutter Runners seems overkill; I wouldn't take more than 9. They're alright at harassing and going after isolated artillery or clearing small units that would be wasted on the big Night Runner unit.

I did some thinking and came up with a 1,000 point Eshin list that manages to squeeze in a Deceiver. Honestly, I'm none too thrilled about Skaven at 1k, because it's hard to take much to properly support your core troops, but in any case:

Leaders:

Verminlord Deceiver - 320 pts.

Skaven Assassin - 100 pts.

Battleline:

20 Night Runners - 200 pts.

10 Night Runners - 100 pts.

Other:

5 Gutter Runners - 60 pts.

Eshin Clawpack - 80 pts.

Total: 960 pts.

Battleshock will probably be your worst enemy. At 1k, however, not too many lists will have a solid answer to the Deceiver, as shooting hits at a -2 penalty to it. It'll probably do the meat of the work, while the rest of the army uses its mobility to attack from different direction and apply pressure through massed shooting.

1 hour ago, Aristo said:

I did some thinking and came up with a 1,000 point Eshin list that manages to squeeze in a Deceiver. Honestly, I'm none too thrilled about Skaven at 1k, because it's hard to take much to properly support your core troops, but in any case:

Leaders:

Verminlord Deceiver - 320 pts.

Skaven Assassin - 100 pts.

Battleline:

20 Night Runners - 200 pts.

Other:

5 Gutter Runners - 60 pts.

Eshin Clawpack - 80 pts.

Total: 960 pts.

Battleshock will probably be your worst enemy. At 1k, however, not too many lists will have a solid answer to the Deceiver, as shooting hits at a -2 penalty to it. It'll probably do the meat of the work, while the rest of the army uses its mobility to attack from different direction and apply pressure through massed shooting.

Thank you very much for the list, at the very least I'll have something to start out with. I converted the headtaker into a 2nd assassin for 2k battles. I'm wondering if 70 Nightrunners (30/20/20) and 9 Gutter runners would be any good, it would leave 600+ points for 1 or 2 more assassins and the rest for support. What would be able to stop the battleshock issues?

Archived