Anybody buy the Shattered Dominion and Chaos Dreadhold scenery sets? They both look cool but are really expensive. I've also been wondering how useful they might be...

The Realm Gates look useful and aren't too expensive,  since you get 2 of them in the box and they can be used in lots of scenarios. 

So any one bought them? Any thoughts? 

I have at least one of each AoS Terrain piece,though I collected those as they released last year into this year so my wallet didnt notice it so much,heh.

Having them has been great though,they are top notch quality and really help in imersing one in  the Mortal Realms.For game effects some of the pieces can be a real boon for some armies and of course the Realmgates always add an extra dimension to play,just make sure each side has access to one early in the game.

Christmas present to me this year is the new battleboard when the season rolls around:)

I've been picking up and painting bits for my dread Hold as and when.

Best advice I've got for that bad boy is to start by picking up the dread fort book and a tower, as it looks imposing all by it self. Then go for a couple of wall sections, followed a bit later on by another tower. That way you can use it in game as an infernal dread fort (at least I think that's what it's called - I'm away from my books!) From then on, you can can pick up anything else for it and there'll be a warscroll for it in the book. B|

12 hours ago, KhaosZand3r said:

I have a plan to make some larger realmgates for way cheaper. If I remember I'll post them here

Not sure if it was on here or another site, but I saw somebody's scratch built realmgates a while back that looked awesome, were more to the kind of scale where you could realistically expect an army to march through rather than a few guys. I do need to make some terrain soon, so if you ever post up what you're working on, I'd be really keen to check it out! :D

As far as GW's stuff, I have a couple of Realmgates waiting for me at the post office, so can't wait to see them in the flesh. All of their terrain pieces seem to be up to top notch quality, so I just hope I can do them justice with the paintbrush!

Not really overly fussed about picking up the Chaos Dreadhold as a whole (I play Stormcast and it's super expensive) but I am tempted to grab one or two pieces, just to use as focal scenery pieces.

I'd certainly buy the Dreadfort if i had the money available, it's a flexible piece of terrain that suits both AoS and WH40k providing you play Chaos.

The Shattered Dominions board, very nice but unless you have a lot of space, do you need a gaming board?

Yeah, the Shattered Dominion looks cool but a gaming mat seams more practical.

The Chaos Dreadhold is actually getting some pretty good recommendations and the book comes with a few scenarios that seam very interesting. I'm collecting both Stormcast Eternals and Chaos Bloodbound,  that way I can play through the story from the first novel with my friends and family at home. 

Thanks for the input. 

5 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

Yeah, the Shattered Dominion looks cool but a gaming mat seams more practical.

The Chaos Dreadhold is actually getting some pretty good recommendations and the book comes with a few scenarios that seam very interesting. I'm collecting both Stormcast Eternals and Chaos Bloodbound,  that way I can play through the story from the first novel with my friends and family at home. 

Thanks for the input. 

Game Matz on Etsy makes vinyl mats with various prints. They aren't as nice as the mousepad material ones, but they are way cheaper and ship from California (for US members here). He also offers grid overlay options: 1inch squares, hexes, and crosses (like the squares but not solid lines). I just got mine in and the image quality is excellent.

I haven't had the funds to buy any of the really fancy stuff, but I recently traded some MTG into my local store and got Realmgates, a second Wyldwood and the Dragonfate Dais. I'm building my little games room with just enough space for a 4x4 table so I think I'll have enough terrain with this stuff added to what I already owned.

If the Realm of Battle came in a 4-tile variety and was a little cheaper, I'd be inclined towards one day picking that up.

7 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I'm thinking about picking up x4 of the Arcane Ruins. I seems to be a great, multi purpose kit for a nice price.

Any one else have this one and like it?

Yeah, I got one at the time they sold out, it's helpful terrain for making a battlefield look better but with the AoS cover rules, only the main plate provides "cover"

53 minutes ago, Wraith01 said:

I've been looking at the Sylvaneth Woods too.  Could even use them in other games. 

The woods are very nice. They are clean, easy to assemble and easy to drybrush to get a powerful on table effect. They are not bad at all for the price you would pay as they are all sculpted really well.

I've recently been painting up the new sigmar terrain, looks great when built and really nice to paint-pain to build though, definitely needs some gap filling work. I am tempted by the new dread hold but too many skulls for my liking. But think they can look really cool and be very useful in gaming. I'm currently painting up a garden of morr which is an amazing kit and have found some of the older terrain pieces which are all pretty good that you may be able to pick up on eBay. There are definitely ways to scratch build stuff for cheap but I don't think you'll regret picking up any of the he bits.

Archived