Help picking my next project? (Looking for something different from what I've painted up so far)

I'm on schedule to finish my backlog of minis by the start of July, which puts me just in time to start a new project when my birthday comes around, and I am thinking something AOS could be fun. However, I am not sure what to get. I know I want something different from what i have done so far. Any suggestions for a fun project would be super appreciated!

Here's a list of all the minis I am currently working on or have finished (in various levels of completion, all have at least one model in the unit fully done). Also some thoughts on them because why not:

soulblight gravelords battleforce (y'all helped me pick this out and it was a ton of fun!)

• Deathwalker zombies: Great models with a ton of personality, some of my favorite sculpts, but I don't want to put together 40 of any one unit ever again.
  • Deathrattle skeletons: like the zombies but even harder to build. Painting was amazing, building 20 was a nightmare.
  • Blood knights: Simple cool sculpts that paint up well.
  • Lauka vai: still working on her but such a fantastic sculpt, I love giant monsters and weird things that are uniquely warhammer. My favorite looking individual model.

kill team starter set

• Ork kommandos: so much fun to paint! lots of personality and just big enough to really add detail to.
  • Veteran gaurdsmen: Fun models, great poses, though I am glad I only had to do 10.

imperium magazine

• Easy Build ultramarines: Just an all around good time, I like anachronism and these fit the space knight vibe I love perfectly. I didn't expect to like them as much as I did. Airbrushing inks on them looks really good and is a ton of fun.
  • Easy Build Necrons: the fastest models to paint up, I really love the techno-organic look! I think these are prob my best paint jobs.

Dominion

• Dominion stormcasts: Great models that painted up quick and look amazing, but I do feel like I am kinda painting the same model 20 times.
  • Dominion Kruleboyz: I JUST started on these but so far they are SO COOL! good variety in weapons and pose, contrast paint works wonders on them. My favorites so far.

Any ideas for what might be a good next project to work on? I am looking for something that would be fun but also pretty different from what I have worked on so farl

Thank you for any suggestions you have!

14 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Rats and Trees!

Sylvaneth and Skaven both look fun! I had been thinking of picking up a stormfiend at some point, any suggestions for sylvaneth? I'm also open to other skaven models!

Edited by rfkannen

8 hours ago, rfkannen said:

Sylvaneth and Skaven both look fun! I had been thinking of picking up a stormfiend at some point, any suggestions for sylvaneth? I'm also open to other skaven models!

I was just thinking that both are intesting, and different from what you've done so far. And if you are starting from scratch the new box coming out soon might be worth a look.

Looks like you don't have any chaos in your list, so I'd suggest you take a look there. IMO they have the most diverse and characterful factions in the game. Maggotkin are a really fun faction to paint pretty easy to collect these days since the army has gotten so elite. There's some overlap with the zombies, but you shouldn't ever need to build 40 of anything. Blight Kings are also some of the best sculps I've ever painted and are pretty fantastic on the table to boot. Slaves to Darkness gives a huge amount of variety and they're looking to get even better later this year when their book drops. Tzeentch is another option as well, very different from what you've been working on. Lots of bright eye catching colours and fun models. The only thing I'd be worried about is you usually want to get a good number of horrors, but on the plus side building them is pretty easy and they're simple enough that even painting up 40 blues/brims was pretty painless.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, EntMan said:

I was just thinking that both are intesting, and different from what you've done so far. And if you are starting from scratch the new box coming out soon might be worth a look.

I forgot about that box, that could be fun! 

2 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Looks like you don't have any chaos in your list, so I'd suggest you take a look there. IMO they have the most diverse and characterful factions in the game. Maggotkin are a really fun faction to paint pretty easy to collect these days since the army has gotten so elite. There's some overlap with the zombies, but you shouldn't ever need to build 40 of anything. Blight Kings are also some of the best sculps I've ever painted and are pretty fantastic on the table to boot. Slaves to Darkness gives a huge amount of variety and they're looking to get even better later this year when their book drops. Tzeentch is another option as well, very different from what you've been working on. Lots of bright eye catching colours and fun models. The only thing I'd be worried about is you usually want to get a good number of horrors, but on the plus side building them is pretty easy and they're simple enough that even painting up 40 blues/brims was pretty painless.

I hadn't realized I have been avoiding chaos by accident, I could have a ton of fun with that! 

Part of me wants to get the warcry box with two chaos mini-factions in it, but from what I heard thats getting replaced sometime but we don't know when?

Maggotkin are super fun! I will admit that level of grossness is a bit much for me, but I also objectively think that they are the most fun designs warhammer has ever made, some of those sculpts are hilarious and awesome!  I could see myself getting a warband or maybe like 1000 points of these.  Getting some putrid blightkings would be awesome, I have heard those also have a ton of bits for conversion! Would the vangaurd be the best place to start there?

Slaves to darkness are really cool as well! the newer models in particular will be awesome, but I love their dark knight vibe with their current models as well!  I really like the idea of a warcry warband with a Chaos Lord on Karkadrak, its such a big model!

Tzeentch is a weird one for me tbh,  I loved lovecraft as a kid and am still huge into eldritch horror. I also just started using inks through my airbrush and I LOVE painting in bright colors, and I also love monsters! But I don't get the basic concept of the disciples, why does eldritch god of knowledge and magic translate to barbarians and birds? I feel like I am just missing the basic idea, which is a shame since the models are super cool! If horrors are easy to build I am up for it, the building was a lot worse than the painting, and the horrors would paint up QUICK with some inks.

If I was to go for a chaos faction any suggestions on where to start?

25 minutes ago, rfkannen said:

Part of me wants to get the warcry box with two chaos mini-factions in it, but from what I heard thats getting replaced sometime but we don't know when?

Warcry is definitely a lot of fun to paint and going between the different warbands would give a lot of variety. The weird bit is modelling isn't great (they seem intentionally built to make conversions exceedingly difficult) and they don't mesh super great into AoS, but if you're aiming to use them in Warcry itself they can be a blast. 

Maggotkin are super fun! I will admit that level of grossness is a bit much for me, but I also objectively think that they are the most fun designs warhammer has ever made, some of those sculpts are hilarious and awesome!  I could see myself getting a warband or maybe like 1000 points of these.  Getting some putrid blightkings would be awesome, I have heard those also have a ton of bits for conversion! Would the vangaurd be the best place to start there?

The vanguard box is a pretty solid start. The only part I don't like taking in an army is the Spoilpox Scrivener, but he works just fine for summoning later down the road. Otherwise everything in there is great in game, and yes the kings come with a LOT of bits. If you're handy with a little green stuff and a knife they're also pretty easy to do simple conversions with to keep everything varied. I have 20 of them so far with no duplicates although I did have to get a little more creative on my last box. 

Tzeentch is a weird one for me tbh,  I loved lovecraft as a kid and am still huge into eldritch horror. I also just started using inks through my airbrush and I LOVE painting in bright colors, and I also love monsters! But I don't get the basic concept of the disciples, why does eldritch god of knowledge and magic translate to barbarians and birds? I feel like I am just missing the basic idea, which is a shame since the models are super cool! If horrors are easy to build I am up for it, the building was a lot worse than the painting, and the horrors would paint up QUICK with some inks.

In the lore the Kairic Acolytes are actually a group of scholars, wizards, and huge nerds. However when it's time to go to war and fight for their secretive cults they don the masks and they change them into the roided out barbarians you see on the tabletop. Always loved that little bit of lore as it's kind of a nerd power fantasy, but I like it even more because I picture them getting all jacked and thinking they're hot stuff with all these muscles, but in reality they're beaten by almost anything in the game in close combat. Like even goblins can be better fighters haha. 

Pink horrors are of course your standard multi part models, but blues are a little simpler and are usually only 2-3 parts. Brimstones are the easiest, they're all a single piece that you just glue to the base. If you decide you'd rather not go through there are always other options, but so far they are pretty important to the faction so it's definitely something to think of. 

If I was to go for a chaos faction any suggestions on where to start?

If you're good with Nurgle I'd say just start there. Either a vanguard box or maybe even just a Putrid Blightkings box so you can get a feel for it and see if you like building them/painting them up. 

Edited by Grimrock

Gloomspite Gitz are the best, great models, fun to paint. U can go as crazy as u want with colours and u can ally them with Kruleboyz. 

If i had to pick a new army for myself at the moment it would be a toss up between Skaven, Lumineth or Idoneth.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, rfkannen said:

Sylvaneth isn’t quite my domain.

but the skaven are my first and foremost love.

If you truly want to start a skaven force, I would suggest to you to paint what ever you find worthy of your time.

if you enjoy painting lots and lots of bodies, your definitely not wrong with the skaven.

but you should also be prepared for a possible need to convert models into other stuff,

unlike the sylvaneth, skaven are one of the faction still waiting for a refresh.

lost of our models look painfully bad.

Which isn’t great.

now that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start them.

there are lots of other companies that do some great rat-man like models, able to be proxied as the official rats.

If you prefer to stick with gw, that shouldn’t  be a problem either.

with a certain interest and enthusiasm in converting models, this isn’t a bad start either.

For example at this point I personally am able to field not only models build from gw parts but also good looking models.

And as for the less dorky kruelboyz, They

may not be played to often, but at least they have the esthetics of the skaven, making and converting new skaven models much easier😉

here are some inspiring pics

851750A0-40F2-4684-9F6A-2EBE936ABAB3.jpeg

83CFBDC3-E43E-49AF-80D8-9585E0FF5A8C.jpeg

1D8292CF-9274-4C15-98BD-340239ED0747.jpeg

893BDD7B-8349-41D7-982C-E9435B12DA04.jpeg

2A5B447C-4ABC-4794-97A3-1A53E23077C1.jpeg

AD6495A5-6056-463D-8101-0B12680172B2.jpeg

45B20AAA-7AAE-402A-974D-0B561EED4E4C.jpeg

7129E5EE-8BE7-495F-921C-39D136B25E6C.jpeg

81DAC2D9-8DFF-4E7D-BF7B-6F4A00631B30.jpeg

1F40725A-CE03-4E31-B0A4-E1D4C0A840EB.jpeg

43AA5DBA-A82F-43B4-91D5-10CCA2D8D524.jpeg

3AA53D39-D752-4E67-89DE-C473AFC19DED.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Grimrock said:

Warcry is definitely a lot of fun to paint and going between the different warbands would give a lot of variety. The weird bit is modelling isn't great (they seem intentionally built to make conversions exceedingly difficult) and they don't mesh super great into AoS, but if you're aiming to use them in Warcry itself they can be a blast. 

The vanguard box is a pretty solid start. The only part I don't like taking in an army is the Spoilpox Scrivener, but he works just fine for summoning later down the road. Otherwise everything in there is great in game, and yes the kings come with a LOT of bits. If you're handy with a little green stuff and a knife they're also pretty easy to do simple conversions with to keep everything varied. I have 20 of them so far with no duplicates although I did have to get a little more creative on my last box. 

In the lore the Kairic Acolytes are actually a group of scholars, wizards, and huge nerds. However when it's time to go to war and fight for their secretive cults they don the masks and they change them into the roided out barbarians you see on the tabletop. Always loved that little bit of lore as it's kind of a nerd power fantasy, but I like it even more because I picture them getting all jacked and thinking they're hot stuff with all these muscles, but in reality they're beaten by almost anything in the game in close combat. Like even goblins can be better fighters haha. 

Pink horrors are of course your standard multi part models, but blues are a little simpler and are usually only 2-3 parts. Brimstones are the easiest, they're all a single piece that you just glue to the base. If you decide you'd rather not go through there are always other options, but so far they are pretty important to the faction so it's definitely something to think of. 

If you're good with Nurgle I'd say just start there. Either a vanguard box or maybe even just a Putrid Blightkings box so you can get a feel for it and see if you like building them/painting them up. 

That's super weird about warcry, I would have thought that they would be the MOST customizable minis games workshop would have made!  maybe I should just buy the core rulebook and make a custom warband.

Oh that's actually super cool lore! Thats hilarious and amazing omg! As long as I did all 3 types of horrors (and didn't just overload on pink) I think I would be good then!

The main nurgle models I want outside the blightlords are the horticulous slimux (this is my favorite nurgle model by far, honestly one of my favorite warhammer models period) and  the beast of nurgle. I also really like the glotkin, but I'm not sure if its worth its price (Its hard to get a feel or the quality of a model that big from pictures)  If I got a box of blightkings and then the vanguard, would I still have room for all those models? Should I just skip the vanguard and only buy those models and the blightkings?

13 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Don't forget, you could also clean your Nurgle up! Give them all soap, scrubbers and towels and clean up the paintjobs. That's a big conversion project, but you will stand out.

OMG THATS AMAZING!!!

I wouldn't go that route but now I'm tempted lol.

I do kind of like the idea of leaning into nurgle bieng a god of life, adding some green stuff mushrooms everywhere. Sort of like the guy in this comic  https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/crow-time/forest-spirits/viewer?title_no=693372&episode_no=39

11 hours ago, Iksdee said:

Gloomspite Gitz are the best, great models, fun to paint. U can go as crazy as u want with colours and u can ally them with Kruleboyz. 

If i had to pick a new army for myself at the moment it would be a toss up between Skaven, Lumineth or Idoneth.

I have mixed feelings about gloomspite. On one hand, I used to play warhammer underworlds years ago, and zarbag's gitz and Mollog's mobs where by FAR my favorite warbands, I loved painting their models! Just some great characters with great personality. And with my orks in my current warhammer models I have found the two squigs I have painted to be super fun! The gloomspite are also tied in my mind with nurgle for having the most fun models in warhammer.

But I don't love hordes, I prefer elite armies. Also, from what I have heard you can't really make a good army with a mix of the models? I would love to have one unit of each of the troggoths, some big squig riders, and then some battleline of grots. But it looks like you need to really lean into one species to make the army work.

Having to go full horde and not being able to mix units turned me off them. Which is a shame since I love the models.

Though as I'm typing this I realize I don't need to build a full army. It could be fun to just pick up a couple as a display project!

8 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Sylvaneth isn’t quite my domain.

but the skaven are my first and foremost love.

If you truly want to start a skaven force, I would suggest to you to paint what ever you find worthy of your time.

if you enjoy painting lots and lots of bodies, your definitely not wrong with the skaven.

but you should also be prepared for a possible need to convert models into other stuff,

unlike the sylvaneth, skaven are one of the faction still waiting for a refresh.

lost of our models look painfully bad.

Which isn’t great.

now that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start them.

there are lots of other companies that do some great rat-man like models, able to be proxied as the official rats.

If you prefer to stick with gw, that shouldn’t  be a problem either.

with a certain interest and enthusiasm in converting models, this isn’t a bad start either.

For example at this point I personally am able to field not only models build from gw parts but also good looking models.

And as for the less dorky kruelboyz, They

may not be played to often, but at least they have the esthetics of the skaven, making and converting new skaven models much easier😉

here are some inspiring pics

Those minis look awesome!!! I love the kitbashing, that is super cool!!!

I don't mind painting hordes  but I do mind the building, are the skaven horde units fairly easy to put together? If not then I would prefer models like stormfiends, hillpit abomination, verminlord, etc.

I am up for trying out converting, I've never done it but I have been very curious (I also have wanted to try out some older warhammer models, I watched eons of battle's videos about old models and they looked really fun!)

Skaven have a really great aesthetic to them, that army  you posted is tempting me into wanting to try them out!

image.png

31 minutes ago, rfkannen said:

The main nurgle models I want outside the blightlords are the horticulous slimux (this is my favorite nurgle model by far, honestly one of my favorite warhammer models period) and  the beast of nurgle. I also really like the glotkin, but I'm not sure if its worth its price (Its hard to get a feel or the quality of a model that big from pictures)  If I got a box of blightkings and then the vanguard, would I still have room for all those models? Should I just skip the vanguard and only buy those models and the blightkings?

Yeah depending on what size of game you're looking to play there should be plenty of room. Beasts are pretty great, relatively cheap, and battleline in the befouling host, so you can really go nuts with them. Horticulus is also a fantastic buff piece for them. The current 2k list I'm enjoying is:

Great Unclean One
Horticulus Slimux

2x Blight Kings
2x Plaguebearers
3x Beasts of Nurgle
1x Nurglings

I have recently built/painted the glottkin as well and I can say the model is pretty fantastic. A couple of the joints really sucked to deal with but otherwise the model is just dripping with detail and cool little features. Great fun to paint and look at even if it did take a really long time to make sure nothing was missed. He's kinda hit and miss in the game, too many points I think, but he is still playable and could be solid if you're not doing tournaments. 

2 hours ago, rfkannen said:

I don't mind painting hordes  but I do mind the building, are the skaven horde units fairly easy to put together? If not then I would prefer models like stormfiends, hillpit abomination, verminlord, etc.

Pretty easy.

clanrats are basically al2 parts that have to be glued together.

you have the body and their weapon (spear or sword)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

12 hours ago, rfkannen said:

I have mixed feelings about gloomspite. On one hand, I used to play warhammer underworlds years ago, and zarbag's gitz and Mollog's mobs where by FAR my favorite warbands, I loved painting their models! Just some great characters with great personality. And with my orks in my current warhammer models I have found the two squigs I have painted to be super fun! The gloomspite are also tied in my mind with nurgle for having the most fun models in warhammer.

But I don't love hordes, I prefer elite armies. Also, from what I have heard you can't really make a good army with a mix of the models? I would love to have one unit of each of the troggoths, some big squig riders, and then some battleline of grots. But it looks like you need to really lean into one species to make the army work.

Having to go full horde and not being able to mix units turned me off them. Which is a shame since I love the models.

Though as I'm typing this I realize I don't need to build a full army. It could be fun to just pick up a couple as a display project!

I guess this is true at the moment but rules keep changing and models not so much. Gitz also have a good chance of getting a new battletome soon because GW revealed a roadmap  with 2 destruction tomes and only Gitz, SoB and Ogors still need an update.

Good point about the rules changing for gloomspite, I might wait a bit and see if the rules change, but I'll definitely pick up the gloomspite starter set at some point in the future!

I'm currently thinking the skaven vs sylvaneth box is the route I'm going to go. (though I also really want to pick up some blightkings and troggoths some point in the future after that) Do y'all know if that box is going to be available in July?  I could preorder it now, but I was planning on not getting anything till I worked through my backlog.

Thank all of y'all for the advice!

Edited by rfkannen