Fyreslayers lack of magic and magic protection.

Arathorn

Hey folks, i just played my first game of age of sigmar and i thoroughly enjoyed it even without objectives. I have always been a dwarf lover so went for the fyreslayers to start collecting.

However, they seem to lack any natural magical resistance like the other duardin. Am i missing a rule or something here? I can't believe GW would overlook a fairly established lore trait as they have seemed to purposefully not put wizards in the fyreslayers army. I just feel it makes them very squishy as my poor grimwrath berseker got blasted away by warp lighting and follow up shots. After my battlesmoth also died to warp lightning over drive in one turn, it was nasty. I know the dispossessed have counters i was just wondering if the fyreslayers did too?

On another note i really think a look out sir mechanism is needed for hereos to protect them a bit from magic and shooting. I think this would help the rules with the complete lack of cover you get from your own men. I know GW put true line of sight to make the game casual but i think it just blurs the lines and makes the rules foggy as its very hard to actually determine if your model is covered by other units infront of the target model. Then on top of that try starting a debate with your opponent down your gaming club. You are only going to come across as ultra competitive spoiling the friendly vibe. I just let him shoot whatever unless there was an obvious mountain in the way. But my poor hereos became very squishy from the lack of protection and i left my laser pen at home to determine actual line of sight from the model haha (jokes).

Sorry i am mainly talking about hereos. yes the ward saves for their units are good if you have the numbers. But being able to dispel is still pretty devasting and gives you very little sense of control. In particular for those two units i mentioned. To get a invulnerable save better than 5+ on the grimwrath is quite hard which again makes him fairly squishy to magic. I obviously need to play more games too ! but it's just an initially impression.  

*cracks knuckles* :) 

Yeah, our heroes are squishy, except the Grimwrath. You could, of course, ally to get these wizards via a GA but as a solo Fyreslayers player we elect to go in without those tools (cause we are so hardy and superior xD). Your grimwrath's ward save goes up by being in more 3" enemy units but doesn't killstrike outside of close combat. If you can get your battlesmith to a good location--objective or fighting line--they can be sacrificed there by arcane bolt or something to gain the none shall defile the icon ability. 

Of course, you're correct about the heroes and this doesn't change your valid point...but just adding it in. Vs crazy magic armies I've tunneled both necessary heroes to tunnel up, removing them as a target while underground, then hit them nasty spellcasters. 

Perhaps they'll gain an allegiance trait which gives them protection from magic.

I would be surprised if they didn't get something like that. Hopefully some movement or deployment shenanigans too.

Currently you just have to weather the effects of magic. Luckily we have good saves on our troops, and you just have to keep your heroes safe until the right time.

Or take four Runesmiters and tunnel your whole damn army in to their face...

But until we get faction abilities just go with Dispossessed or Freeguild allies.

3x10 Freeguild handgunners for battling and a wizard are a decent and inexpensive addition.

Another option is to use more LOS blocking terrain on your tables. A good mix of Area and LOS blocking terrain seems to be best for AOS. With area terrain being great for buffing units with +1 save and LOS keeping your hero's out of danger as they move across the board. 

I hope when the Duardin come out they get some special terrain like the Wyldwood. Maybe a mine entrance or some kind of armoury where they can sacrifice something to gain +1 to hit or save. Like Damned terrain but instead of taking wounds you sacrifice your movement phase. 

I haven't played loads of magic but it's not really been an issue in any of my games, even vs Teclis.

I think you just have to accept that you're going to take a few hits via mortal wound spells, try and keep out of range of them (as they cast before moving in most situations) unless you're really commiting. For example keeping a Battlesmith back to give his protection bubble to units and out of range of magic is doable. However a Grimwrath needs to get in there, so get him in here. Try and commit him to combat when he enters magic range to increase that wardsave when it hits.

Archived