How to pile in?

cetiken

Question

8 answers to this question

You certainly can wrap around with pile ins.  The only restriction is that you have to finish closer to the nearest enemy than you started.

If you're playing measuring to bases, that means that if you are already touching bases, you can't pile in around.  But if there's a gap, you can pile in around as long as you end up with a smaller gap than you started with.

It gives you some tactical options when you charge, as you can choose to either snug in to contact and limit everyone's options for pile in movement, or you can stay back 2-3mm and allow for some motion in the battle.

I think so? (At lest, your diagrams are legal)

Piling in; if you have successfully charged AND/OR the unit are within 3" of an enemy unit, you may pile-in.

When a unit piles in, each model in the unit has to either remain stationary, or reduce the direct straight line (e.g. "as the crow flies") distance between them and the nearest enemy model - regardless of unit.

You don't have to pile-in in a straight line.

You cannot move if you are already in contact with an enemy model (models / bases physically touching depending on whether you play RAW or use bases) - from the FAQ.

Within those.parameters you can do whatever you want.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

A pile in cannot wrap around like in 40k. As part of the charge you can wrap around in preparation. In pile in, the model must move directly towards the closest model. They cannot wrap around; "towards the closest enemy model".

If I understand your question correctly, your diagrams 2-4 are not legal.

1 hour ago, Shane said:

A pile in cannot wrap around like in 40k. As part of the charge you can wrap around in preparation. In pile in, the model must move directly towards the closest model. They cannot wrap around; "towards the closest enemy model".

Why not?  The word directly does not appear in the rules.

There's no "directly" requirement - you've long (since Mo-Comp) been able to run around the back of an enemy model and touch it (making yourself closer) to leave space for other dudes to attack the front of enemy. Only constraint is if already touching bases.

For once I'm not sure you're right Shane. Each model just has to finish closer to the nearest enemy, according to the wording. You deliberately don't tag the unit you've charged so that you can wrap up to another three inches around them.

This is down to interpretation of GW's intended terminology of the word "towards" and if it implies directly.  The FAQ confirming that you can move round your own models implies it's a straight line, but that makes units with 6" pile-in not that useful.

I'm hoping that GW will release a video demonstrating pile-ins and clarify their intention.

In practice I've not seen many people actually pile-in correctly - most just move up to 3" to get as many models in combat as possible, a-la 40k

Archived