Does my hook look big in this? The Eldritch Voyage of the Kraken Lord

Percivael

Here's my Black Ark Fleetmasters for my nautical themed (Dark) Aelf army called The Eldritch Voyage of the Kraken Lord. Had a lot of fun converting a chariot rider/Dread Lord into a Fleetmaster complete with oversized Kharibdyss mandible Murder Hook! Not the best photos but, just finished these guys last night. What do you think? Is the hook too much?!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Ansuz said:

Thanks for the recipe. Do you have any pictures of the rest of your army? I have a soft spot for Black Ark Corsairs and would make an army of them if GW ever releases something else.

Yes, I am going to do some decent photos very soon that don't feature my TV as a background! I love Corsairs too. It was originally a Karond Kar army but has been rebased for AoS with some new additions. It's general is the legendary Kraken Lord himself Lokhir Fellheart - reborn due to his mysterious Kraken Mask! 'With strange aeons, even death may die' I am going to write some background for the army when I get round to it, explaining their place in the Mortal Realms.

I am interested in the idea of a sea raider and/or pirate force in a setting like AOS.

Since the realms are potentially infinite they lack the static seas that would enable a sea faring force to prosper across multiple realms, since you don't know what seas there will or won't be. Unless of course there was some fluff about a powerful water-witch or something that drowned an area that the raiders were going to plunder with a storm.

Or just...generally magical ships that work on land or air.

Or maybe ships with wheels.

5 hours ago, Jamopower said:

I'm keeping my eye on this thread. Ace work and a great theme! Lokhir Fellheart is one f my favourite Warhammer heroes (although my version of him raids in space along with a Dark eldar fleet...)

26 minutes ago, Wundlesprut said:

I am interested in the idea of a sea raider and/or pirate force in a setting like AOS.

Since the realms are potentially infinite they lack the static seas that would enable a sea faring force to prosper across multiple realms, since you don't know what seas there will or won't be. Unless of course there was some fluff about a powerful water-witch or something that drowned an area that the raiders were going to plunder with a storm.

9 hours ago, Burscheid said:

I like big hooks, I can't deny ... 

Seriously though, nice paint job and color scheme. 

Good job.  

Thanks guys. Yes I remember first seeing Lokhir with his Kraken Mask and wanting to start a dark elf army because of him. I remember, I think it was the 7th edition version of the dark elves army book, it saying he walked under the ocean using an enchanted air bubble to fight a strange underwater race - his prize was the mysterious Kraken Helm! Very Lovecraftian! That's the theme I've gone for - Cthulhu worshipping pirates on an Eldritch voyage to find a sunken city on the infinite seas, raiding and battling as they go! I will only hint, when I finish the lore, that it is some all but forgotten elder God so that it fits in with the mortal realms. The army isn't all corsairs though, there is also dark shards Drakespawn Knights, War Hydra, Kharibdyss, scourge runner etc but all in the same scheme with marine imagery on banners - kraken, sharks, etc. I'm currently converting some skinks to have dark elf weapons and I'm calling them Deep Ones, who are these strange seraphon? Thralls or guides?

I just wish Lokhir was as Killy as he used to be! I think he used to get an extra attack per enemy rank! It would have been nice if, for AoS, he got an extra attack per five enemy models or something. 

5 hours ago, Uncas said:

Wow! Your drakespawn Knights look great! Wonderful colors, hilarious banner, nice basing. You did these amazing models justice

Thanks man! It's good to get some feedback on them as the only other people who have seen them are my wife and kids! I'm taking them to the Facehammer GT so they'll get some action then.

Damn, so much individuality for each "grunt." Well done. Can't wait to see what your scourge runner looks like. I just finished by drakespawn chariot and it is my favorite piece (so far...); personally I think the drakespawn chariot/scourge runner are the best chariot model in the game. Sadly, they ar pretty bad rules-wise. 

Have you played with this force yet? If so, how did it go?

Thanks @Uncas. Yeah I love the chariots but like you say they're not that good in the game. I have only played one game with this force against my wife - she had Stormcast Eternals and I lost! It was take and hold. Lokhir got killed in the first turn due to that special one shot arrow of the Knight Venator! I'm not sure the loss was due to the army just my multiple mistakes. The Dark Shards did wipe out a unit of five judicators with their crossbows though, which was nice. So a I'm going into the tournament this weekend with very little experience!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 2:53 PM, Wundlesprut said:

Hi @Wundlesprut I'm busy making a pirate themed campaign. It opens with two ship based scenarios and then goes on two treasure hunting on a jungle island. I would be willing to send you it, in exchange for some feedback ;)

It's based on four players (as in this way I could play it with three friends). Armies are interchangeable but some armies are easier fluffwise.  

On 9/14/2016 at 3:47 PM, Percivael said:

Here's my Black Ark Fleetmasters for my nautical themed (Dark) Aelf army called The Eldritch Voyage of the Kraken Lord. Had a lot of fun converting a chariot rider/Dread Lord into a Fleetmaster complete with oversized Kharibdyss mandible Murder Hook! Not the best photos but, just finished these guys last night. What do you think? Is the hook too much?!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I also love the Lokhir Fellheart model. Got it last month through ebay. Could be a great addition if you need another leader. 

9 hours ago, Percivael said:

@Kramer yes I've got Lokhir. See above photo on the left with the Corsairs. He is a great miniature but sadly not very good on the battlefield!

To be honest corsairs aren't that good :S

But I'm starting a map campaign focussed on the mystical island of Honshu. (well I had to think of a name) Which is heavily pirate themed.

Still looking for a couple of test readers to get some bugs out of the work in progress document if your interested. 

• 5 months later...

I've been neglecting the Eldritch Voyage for a while, but a Silver Tower and a Nurgle Warband later I've re-pledged my allegiance to the Kraken Lord with a promise of reinforcements.

This is the Dreadbeam Bastion - a mysterious and terrible celestial weapon, employed by the Kraken Lord to cut cut a swathe through those who hinder his quest.

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

17 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

As a fellow pirate enthusiast, I enjoyed reading through your progress!

I'm looking forward to starting my Fleetmaster for WHQ - one of my favourite models for sure!

Yeah I love the idea of black hearted pirates! I listen to the Black Sails theme tune whilst I'm washing the dishes and imagine it as my army's soundtrack!

Archived