The Road to Clash - Wall of Ogors

Gaz Taylor

I found 3x 6 Ogors worked okay for holding things but the main issue is they don't have enough bite to push things off objectives or hold up against anything quite beefy. This is the idea behind Bellowing Tyrant as that should make it easier for them but I think units of six would still struggle.

As you've said, battleplan is very important and I am indeed praying for that scenario!!! :D 

So I had a message off my opponent last night. At first I thought he had gotten wind of my army and was worried about it being too strong and wanted to change it (or worse he couldn't play!). How wrong was I. He wanted to check to see if I was okay playing against his list. This list is something he is looking at using at a doubles event in the future but I think it's a really strong and powerful list in it's own right.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
- Artefact: Battle Brew

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
- Spiderfang Battleline
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
- Spiderfang Battleline

Units
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (300)
1 x Snotling Pump Wagons (60)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 1980/2000

So my first thoughts were "EEKKK!!!" this looks a strong list but I think it needs tweaking. It's missing the important movement spell which makes the Arrowboys so much more dangerous. Also it is very much too 1000 point armies boshed together so there isn't much synergy between the factions. I think this list is a very strong counter against mine but at the end of the day, when a Stonehorn hits you, it generally kills you ;) 

So basically not as scary as first thought but not to underestimate. I think this will boil down to scenario

Managed to take some poor photos of some of my models this morning. Army is very basic scheme of pink, orange, and blue with metal bits and was basically assembled and painted over a weekend watching the warlords event. I used Army Painter Dark Tone to finish it all off as this helps shade everything as well as provide a nice varnish coat to protect the models. I did have the intention of actually painting these to a good standard but having worked on two massive projects for the year (one of these was a Sarbanes Oxley Audit which was the first time the company I worked for had to do one! If you ever have been involved in one of these you will know the pain) and being completely naive about how much time a small baby takes up!

This is one of my Ogor units. All of the leaders have a helmet of some sorts and all models have two hand weapons. I quite like these guys and I'm hoping we will see a Ogor book at some point because they are great but just need a bit of help hitting things, so it would be cool to have some sort of war-chanter or spell caster to help with this.

58ad745573298_File_002(6).jpeg.cccc9a53116114295a0d34d9edbb8287.jpeg

Here's a Huskard with his trusty Blood Vulture. Fantastic unit and easily one which works so much better with multiples of them! Having one pretty much leaves him in the back field supporting the Stonehorns.

58ad745b477f6_File_000(6).jpeg.7af262e28678efb84367c78441ad6737.jpeg

Here's one of the Frostlords who is my general. These are amazing units. You've caused a lot of wounds on it? So what! It still attacks pretty much at full capacity thanks to the Frostlord and the only downside is the fact it gets slower. I've seen this guy wipe out a unit of Crypt Horrors on his own!

58ad745fed81d_File_001(7).jpeg.9ea55a3e1468c401af28b2a0484519a7.jpeg

Game done and dusted and it was quite fun. Ended up playing Escalation but using the old rules as we didn't have the new ones to hand. Game started quite well for Stu as he was able to kill my Frostlord with Battlebrew but the big Ogor unit which were the stars of the show came on and killed everything that went near them. Ended with a Major Victory to me with 7-2 victory points and I tabled Stu.

I really rate units of Ogors in large numbers after this game. Bellowing Tyrant is a fantastic combo with them but even without that, the shear number of attacks they can dish out means most things die and if they don't, there are enough Ogors to take the counter attack and then counter attack again!

Hey @Gaz Taylor,

Nice to see some finished photos of the army. I have no idea where you came up with the scheme, specifically the skin colour haha....but, I have to say, I quite like it. Certainly stands out on the table I'm sure. I think my personal preference would be to hit it with a matte varnish after the quickshade.

As for the game, congrats on the win. Glad it went well. I suggested your split of 9/6/3 to Gary, who is considering pretty much the same list for SCGT. Looking at their battleplans, I think there is an argument for 9/3/3/3, to give you your big combat block and plenty of Battleline scoring units. I think @ChippyRick may have some thoughts on the matter.

I'm actually repurchasing an Ogor army that I painted and sold back in 7th ed. Gonna stick it on rounds and give it a bit of a run out!

Thanks @Chris Tomlin ;) 

I'm very impressed with the 9/6/3 split as I felt like the big block of Ogors could deal with most units and had loads of staying power. Even without Bellowing Tyrant bonus being applied to it, I think its a good unit. Having additional hand weapons and the bonus makes them amazing (hitting on 3+ and re-rolling 1s!).

I can see the case for 9/3/3/3  but if I was doing that, I would probably go 9/3/3 and spend the extra points on something else (either more scoring units or some sort of artillery).

Can't wait to see what you do with your old Ogor army ;) 

I would consider replacing the big unit with something even more hard-hitting, more suitable for death star usage. Only if your intention is to make additions though. I second the varnish suggestion, a quick spray of purity seal would make a massive difference ^_^

15 hours ago, Solaris said:

I would consider replacing the big unit with something even more hard-hitting, more suitable for death star usage. Only if your intention is to make additions though. I second the varnish suggestion, a quick spray of purity seal would make a massive difference ^_^

Well I was sticking to a theme ;) Agreed though I think some other unit would be better but I was pleasantly surprised by the hitting power of 9 Ogors. Also my plan is not to add any more to this army, just use it while I hopefully paint up something nicer!

You played the game really well gaz, I agree that the big unit of ogors is a force to b reckoned with and stonehorn / thundertusks are a good distraction whilst the ogors run around bashing stuff. 

I definately need more game time with the two units to c which one I want to take to the doubles but as you say I think the synergies didn't really help each other. 

all on all an enjoyable game with good opponent! 

• 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend, I went to an event run by Ben Curry called Alliance 2. It was a one day event being run at the Blood and Glory venue in Derby, which for me was fairly easy to get to. It was a nice venue with plenty of parking for the 40 to 50 players there and Ben had all the boards set up with the Frontline Gaming battle mats. All we had to do was bring our armies and Terrain! I took what is now becoming my standard list and went to try and win at least one game as my objective.

Game One - vs Ben Johnson with Stormcast

I faced Ben at Clash last year where he killed all my army in about two turns with his horrible Flesh Eater monster mash. So I wanted revenge and grudged Ben for Alliance (well it was revenge and he's a nice guy to play). Ben is an amazing painter and has managed to work out a routine where he can paint stuff in his spare time and churn out new stuff very quickly. Ben took the following...

Heros

Lord Aquilor (200) - General - Staunch Defender - Aethereal Stalker

Lord Celestant On Dracoth (220) - Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield - Armor of Silvered Sigmarite - Keen-clawed

Knight Venator (120) - Artefact: Luckstone

Units

5 x Judicators (160) - Prime - Skybolt Bows - 1x Shockbolt Bow

5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140) - Prime - Astral Compass

5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140) - Prime - Asral Compass

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (180) - Prime with Aetherwing

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Aetherwings (60)

3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220) - Starstrike Javelins - Prime

Vanguard Justicar Conclave (60)

Quite a scary army as it can pump out a lot of shots and is quite mobile! We played Blood and Glory which I think favours my army better than Ben's but he's got a chance for sneaky grabs on the objectives if I'm not careful. Facing such a lot of shooting my plan was fairly simple - push the Stonehorns forwards and let them kill every thing, while everything else claims objectives. This was such a fun game because neither of us was sure who was going to win as it became quite close in the last few turns. Also I gave Ben a big shock as he didn't realise how fast Stonehorns can move and I very nearly got a turn one charge off against his raptors who he had bunched together. He very quickly spread them out after this as they would have been dragged into combat with a raging Stonehorn!

I was also really surprised with how fast Ben's army was as the combination of the Palladors, Lord Aquilor and Vanguard Hunters are a nice way of moving around and tackling support units or pinching objectives. Unfortunately, they bounce off Ogors and Lord Celestant On Dracoth's get pounded into mush against Frostlords. The game ended with a minor win for Ben due to him being able to swoop in with his Aetherwings to claim the objectives. This was mainly because I forgot that you don't need to be sitting on an objective to claim it and I could have sent off my remaining Frostlord on a hunting expedition!

As usual a great game against Ben which resulted in a Minor win for him but I managed to get half his army in victory points!

Game two - vs Colin Mather with Death

I've not played or met Colin before and this is one of the things I enjoy about going to events. Colin had quite a scary army in my eyes as it had some very fast elements that could hit hard and of course a big unit of Necropolis Knights!!! His army was...

Heros

Settra the Imperishable (GENERAL) 460

Herald on steed & Cursed Book 100

Units

6 x Chariots Full Command 280

10 x Skeleton Warriors Swords & Shield with Full Command 80

10 x Skeleton Horsemen Full Command 200

6 x Necropolis Knights Full Command 320

1 x Tomb Scorpion 80

Khemrian Warsphinx 280

I played a similar army when Age of Sigmar first came out with my shooty Alves (see ahead of the meta ;) ), which ended in a very narrow win to me with one lone Battle Standard Bearer holding the objective. So with this in mind I paid this army the respect it needed. The scenario we were playing was Border War which puts players in two forms of thought. Do you camp out on things ready to counter attack or do you go all out and then claim things later. With the sort of army I have, I really have to go all out but I gave Colin first turn of the game which surprised him. I think he was just thinking about getting a early lead, whilst I was just thinking about letting him get closer so I could hit him. This game started off quite well for Colin as he was able to build up an early lead and maul my big block of Ogors and cause plenty of damage to the Frostlord with Battlebrew. But this is how my army likes to fight and after taking a punch it hits back harder. Colin did his best but in the end I managed to wipe out his whole army and claim all the objectives and built up a big lead in doing so. I think Colin suffered from what usually happens to me and being too aggressive with his army.

So after two games, I got my win and a nice sizeable amount of victory points.

Game three - vs Jon Green with Order

Jon had a very scary army which was very much a great example of the meta at the moment - Shooting! He had....

Heros

Grimwrath Berzerker (80)

Skink Starseer (160)

Units

5 x Vulkite Berzerkers (60)

3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180) - Greatbows

Celestial Hurricanum (320) 

Yes he really had that much shooting! The scenario was gift from the heavens, which is quite a tough one to play against a static shooting army with great range. I went first and pushed everything forwards as I needed to start chipping away at his Kurnoth Hunters as quickly as possible and my army is fast enough to pull units back to claim the objective on my side of the board when it appeared. I managed to get one Frostlord into combat straight away and began chipping.

Jon reacted how I thought he would and did what he could to kill the Frostlord as quickly as possible. I was lucky as he did a bit of damage but not a lot and then got even luckier when an objective fell down near my unit of six Ogors. I then went full speed at Jon an hoped I could do enough damage. I got even luckier when his objective appeared in the massive fight going on in the middle of his side of the board, so it was contested and he couldn't score anything. Things were looking like I might be able to scrape out a minor win but as my army started dwindling I had a string of bad luck and Jon had a bit of good luck in the remaining Frostlord combat. I don't like talking about luck like this but this was able to swing the game around.

Soon everything of my army was dead apart from the six Ogors, which Jon was able to kill through shooting and a unit of Fyreslayers that had been running towards them most of the game. This got Jon a major and me a load of victory points as I had given his army a severe mauling. We both agreed I should have charged the Ogors at the Fyreslayers but I didn't due to me thinking I had to sit on the objective.

End

So with the event over and Ben started calling out the trophy winners I got a massive shock to find out I managed to bag the Best Destruction General! I was really surprised by this but Ben worked out the winners of these trophy's by the most victory points scored, so this was a really pleasant surprise! Overall I had a great time and enjoyed my games.

Archived