Managing the balewind vortex.

Arkiham

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think just the basic strategy with the Balewind now will be as follows.

Am I within range of any offensive spell? If not what if  my range is doubled? if not, will my support spell be effective? if not, do I attempt a cast balewind to try my offensive spell?

Did it succeed ? if yes then again, is my offensive spell going to be worthwhile? if yes, upon who? If not, where will my support spell be best spent.

Did the attempt fail ? ok move wizard.

Compared to previously, trying it regardless of if it was worth the attempt or not. 

It is for Kroak.

Underlined ones are no longer able to use it.

• Daemonsmith (debuff) - maybe :)
  • Drazhoath (borderline - for one turn only)
  • Dark Elf Sorceress (debuff) - probably not
  • Grey Wizard (debuff) - maybe :)
  • Skink Starseer (debuff) - no
  • Luminark (Burning Gaze - Very strong - makes it immune to melee and cover save - limits its shooting attack significantly :)
  • Teclis - maybe :)
  • Kroak - Very strong - makes it immune to melee and cover save :)
  • Branchwraith (Reaping Bomb - Silverwood Circlet) - still very strong. :)
  • Alarielle (borderline - for one turn only)
  • Be'Lakor (debuff)
  • New Gaunt Summoner (bye bye blocks of chaff) :)
  • Arch Warlock (Chain Lightning) - maybe :) - but a less reliable Thundertusk or Warp Lightning Cannon.
  • Lord of Change (Infernal Gateway -  a less reliable Thundertusk)
  • Count Mannfred (Wind of Death) - Good. :) 
  • Moonclan Grot Shaman (Curse of Da Bad Moon) Good. :)

17 minutes ago, Nico said:

It is for Kroak.

Underlined ones are no longer able to use it.

• Daemonsmith (debuff) - maybe :)

I am building a legion of azgorh army and I am thinking of leaving 100pt to either summon some fireborn or maybe a balewind if I am up against strong shooting and I dont need the range on my magma cannons. The option is probably good to have (ie I am gong to buy the model) but I think most of the time I am going to summon fireborns in the opponents backline if possible.

The fact they've nerfed it with the rules and added an 100 point cost to it makes it completely worthless I think for the vast majority of units.

Good job games workshop you caved to peer pressure from a minorty % who don't know how to play.

How do they justify the points cost on top of the nerf.

15 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

The fact they've nerfed it with the rules and added an 100 point cost to it makes it completely worthless I think for the vast majority of units.

This is true, now it wount be a given. 

But IMO this will end all the ban discussions and we can start having the "normal" discussion, is it priced correctly which I think is a good thing.

Gunna note re "scrubs shouldn't alter rules," some factions just don't have an answer to it. What does an army with no Ranged do against Lord Kroak on one of these things, for example?

Kill all the scoring units and sit on the objectives - what you normally do vs Kroak - 620 points with this now.

6 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Gunna note re "scrubs shouldn't alter rules," some factions just don't have an answer to it. What does an army with no Ranged do against Lord Kroak on one of these things, for example?

People would argue to leverage everything possible from your grand alliance to counter it, but that doesn't help armies which are sticking to an allegiance and don't have the units for it. Bloodbound and Ironjawz spring to mind.

But i'm more fluffy when I organise my armies, so what do i know about competitive play. At least it wont shape the competitive meta by every army having it for free. At least there will be less need to force armies to bring a very long range counter to this specific scenario.

Good balance in my book.

Just now, Brucimus said:

People would argue to leverage everything possible from your grand alliance to counter it, but that doesn't help armies which are sticking to an allegiance and don't have the units for it. Bloodbound and Ironjawz spring to mind.

But i'm more fluffy when I organise my armies, so what do i know about competitive play. At least it wont shape the competitive meta by every army having it for free. At least there will be less need to force armies to bring a very long range counter to this specific scenario.

Good balance in my book.

I play Death, our Ranged potential is screaming at stuff.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I play Death, our Ranged potential is screaming at stuff.

All the more need for GW to try and balance for all factions.

But at the end of the day, at least it shows that GW are putting effort into balance after the fact. I think GW are doing the same with Bloodbowl teams by only releasing official rules after doing large amounts of play testing, hence player cost tweaks on human catchers and an additional ability on a Skaven player (cant remember which).

no you dont need to pay as the BWV says in it's war scroll it can be dismissed and resummoned.  However, your vortex and be irreverisble destroyed by the destruction ability to do. In which case you'd need to pay for another.

I think the points are cool and make the piece very fair in matched play. As effectively it turns your wizards into a mortal wounding bolt thrower that ignores combat with +1 cover.

I think 100 points seems fair. You boost any character by making them charge-immune and doubling their range (not to mention allowing them to look over some LOS blocking terrain). That alone would be worth 100 points on a profile buff, so I think it's fine overall. 

4 hours ago, Requizen said:

I think 100 points seems fair. You boost any character by making them charge-immune and doubling their range (not to mention allowing them to look over some LOS blocking terrain). That alone would be worth 100 points on a profile buff, so I think it's fine overall. 

If it was easier to cast, or didn't take up a spell slot on failure, I might agree.

As it stands, you have to pay 100pts, then attempt to cast on a 7+, if you fail that's one (normally your only) casting attempt used up. Frankly, I'm not sure many players would bother to risk that even if it was free.

Bear in mind it also makes them immobile, and allows them to be seen over the same LoS blocking terrain.

Ignore the pdf off the website. they've not been updated since release.

I belive the chaos lord still summons units on a 4+ from that.

There's no point using the old warscrolls as tournaments won't allow it, if you want to use it with your mate, sure, go for it. but no one else will let you.

Archived