AoS3- Big Waaagh!

Dahawi

On 6/16/2022 at 3:04 PM, broche said:

i've the impression that the Brutes ability might become better too (direct counter to Expert Conqueror)

I think any points changes will be crucial, I'm hoping Brutes go down to 150 and gutripperz drop to around 160.

As to the ability, I can see it being absolutely vital when combined with the Proving grounds special rule, allowing them to shut down hordes while at the same time monsters/mounts are unable to contest them. Another really important thing might be the bonds of battle special rule, it means that you can now take dual wielding brutes in units of 10/15 without the heavy penalty.

Ok, so the rules changes with the GBH look pretty damn good for us.

• The GHB Grand Strategies are way harder to complete than before. This means our book based Grand Strategies don't look to bad now. The Bonesplitterz one especially is a solid option.
  • Again the GHB Battletactics are much harder than they were last season, making the fact we have two extremely viable Book tactics a massive boon.
  • There is a huge bonus on the battletactics for having Galletian Veterans units.
  • This One's Mine is fantastic if you have a big monster as your general.
  • Both new battalions are pretty amazing for us. 
  • Brute 1 wound objective suppression is even more amazing than it was before.
  • The Bounty Hunters threat isn't great but it is limited to both Melee Weapons and Troops only, so all the shooty armies won't benefit from it. On the other hand Brutes with 3 damage base getting into any unit will blender everything.
  • The two rank fighting is so good for us as all our units are on bases >1"

I feel like Bonesplitterz and Brutes especially got a really nice boost.

• Like 3

Be honest…. Is my list trash?

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Big Waaagh!
    - Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Mega Bossy
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-toof Fist
    - Artefacts: Armour of Gork
    - Mount Traits: Fast ’Un

Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
    - Artefacts: Glowin’ Tattooz
    - Spells: Gorkamorka’s War Cry

Orruk Warchanter (115)**

Orruk Warchanter (115)**

BATTLELINE

Orruk Brutes (160)*
    - Brute Boss
    - Gore-choppa
    - Brute Choppas
    - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*
    - Ardboy Boss
    - 2 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearer
    - 2 x Waaagh! Drummer
    - 4 x Orruk-forged Shield

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*
    - Ardboy Boss
    - 2 x Waaagh! Drummer

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

OTHER

1 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (340)*
    - Gore-grunta Boss
    - Jagged Gore-hacka

1 x Man-skewer Boltboyz (240)**
    - Boltboy Boss

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

**Warlord

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*
    - Ardboy Boss
    - 2 x Waaagh! Drummer

1 x Orruk Ardboys (170)*
    - Ardboy Boss
    - 2 x Waaagh! Drummer

Personally I really don't like ardboys in 10s/15s, I find them large and unwieldy. I run 5 units of 5 to use for zoning, screening and objective holding. 

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Personally I really don't like ardboys in 10s/15s, I find them large and unwieldy. I run 5 units of 5 to use for zoning, screening and objective holding. 

Interesting. I've always used them in groups of 10 myself, personally over the years. Of course new coherency rules and what not, but now with the fighting in 2 ranks especially.... However MSU units of 4 sets of 5 could work just as well since, yes, for me they are screens, zoners, and anvils.

11 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Interesting. I've always used them in groups of 10 myself, personally over the years. Of course new coherency rules and what not, but now with the fighting in 2 ranks especially.... However MSU units of 4 sets of 5 could work just as well since, yes, for me they are screens, zoners, and anvils.

I used to use them in 30s back in the day, then I had some larger units etc. Since AoS 3 and the new book I've just found 10/15s to be oversized and unneeded.

It does help because I played a game last night and got absolutely ****** stomped into the ground but it also badly hurts because they took away the “add 1 to bravery for every 10 models” so their bravery is 6 with a banner and they just…. Break ranks and die. 

At least against Nighthaunt where just by being nearby they deny you inspiring presence. Also lol at 4+ rally man, that only works if you have to weather some shooting or magic which… isn’t going to be targeting your ArdBoyz let’s be honest. 

2 hours ago, broche said:

yes but they will blow trough Brutes as well, and squad of 5 ardboyz as well. So taking 1-2 squad of 10 that count as 30 models might be worthy (almost same price as brutes). Not sure about squad of 15

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

It does help because I played a game last night and got absolutely ****** stomped into the ground but it also badly hurts because they took away the “add 1 to bravery for every 10 models” so their bravery is 6 with a banner and they just…. Break ranks and die. 

That's why I'd take 2 squads of 5, it means there's no overflow of damage or bravery between the two.

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

At least against Nighthaunt where just by being nearby they deny you inspiring presence. Also lol at 4+ rally man, that only works if you have to weather some shooting or magic which… isn’t going to be targeting your ArdBoyz let’s be honest. 

That was my other thing, the 4+ rally is so restrictive. Must have a warchanter wholly within 12" and can only be issued from the boss so no hitting 3 units with it.

Edited by Malakree

Is the Swampcalla Shaman mandatory if you’re running Boltboyz? 

I am considering going Big Waaagh and running Boltboyz and a Wurgog Prophet, however I don’t have them yet, only Ironjawz. 

Edit: really hoping the Swampcalla Shaman isn’t mandatory because I’m not buying a whole starter kit just for that one guy. 

Edited by Ravinsild

9 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I am considering going Big Waaagh and running Boltboyz and a Wurgog Prophet, however I don’t have them yet, only Ironjawz. 

Edit: really hoping the Swampcalla Shaman isn’t mandatory because I’m not buying a whole starter kit just for that one guy. 

I don't think it is mandatory. I feel like running msu boltboyz is the way to go, to get extra shot from the champion. And the value from the shaman only shines when you have them reinforced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smash said:

I don't think it is mandatory. I feel like running msu boltboyz is the way to go, to get extra shot from the champion. And the value from the shaman only shines when you have them reinforced.

Wow I never thought about that. That’s brilliant. Yeah that’s an extra shot for my planned list (once I get 2 boxes of Boltboyz and a Wurgog) which comes out to 8 shots at 24” and 14 shots at 12”. Nice! 

15 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I don't think so. Also they should be releasing the special model that they gave during LVO some time during fall so you can pick him up at that point if you like

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

For me, I'd never take Boltboyz without the Shaman. In BW, he also has Nasty Hex as a spell that you can use to nullify Wards. This is a very useful tool to have. I cannot fit more 6 Boltboyz in BW and 2x3 is kinda meh... Maybe if you have 9, 3x3 would potentially be stronger. I feel like a buffed up 6man is a real threat you can't neglect, while 2x3 is no threat and you can just whiff in a weird way. It's my opinion though. Plus, I feel BW really capitalizes on having everyone in, with 6 heroes and double Warlord battalions. You need Glowing Tattoos on Wurgogg and you need the tome on Warchanter, and the Shaman helps reach that 6 heroes build, while still providing utility and efficiency.

Edited by Jabbuk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jabbuk said:

For me, I'd never take Boltboyz without the Shaman. In BW, he also has Nasty Hex as a spell that you can use to nullify Wards. This is a very useful tool to have. I cannot fit more 6 Boltboyz in BW and 2x3 is kinda meh... Maybe if you have 9, 3x3 would potentially be stronger. I feel like a buffed up 6man is a real threat you can't neglect, while 2x3 is no threat and you can just whiff in a weird way. It's my opinion though. Plus, I feel BW really capitalizes on having everyone in, with 6 heroes and double Warlord battalions. You need Glowing Tattoos on Wurgogg and you need the tome on Warchanter, and the Shaman helps reach that 6 heroes build, while still providing utility and efficiency.

We are supposed to run 6 heroes? 👀

My list was going to look like this: 

Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
    - Army Type: Big Waaagh!
    - Grand Strategy: Waaagh!
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
    - Artefacts: Glowin’ Tattooz
    - Spells: Gorkamorka’s War Cry

Orruk Warchanter (115)*

Orruk Warchanter (115)*

Megaboss on Maw-krusha (480)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Mega Bossy
    - Boss Choppa and Rip-toof Fist
    - Artefacts: Armour of Gork
    - Mount Traits: Loud ’Un

BATTLELINE

Orruk Ardboys (85)
    - Gorkamorka Glyph Bearer
    - Waaagh! Drummer
    - Ardboy Boss
    - 2 x Orruk-forged Shield

Orruk Brutes (160)**
    - Brute Boss
    - Gore-choppa
    - Brute Choppas
    - Boss Klaw & Brute Smasha

Orruk Ardboys (85)***
    - Waaagh! Drummer
    - Ardboy Boss

Orruk Ardboys (85)***
    - Waaagh! Drummer
    - Ardboy Boss

Orruk Ardboys (85)***
    - Waaagh! Drummer
    - Ardboy Boss

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

OTHER

Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)*
    - Boltboy Boss

Man-skewer Boltboyz (120)*

Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)**
    - Gore-grunta Boss
    - Pig-iron Choppas

Orruk Gore-gruntas (170)**
    - Gore-grunta Boss
    - Jagged Gore-hacka

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Warlord

**Bounty Hunters

***Expert Conquerors

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

However at first I had a big block of 6 and then I split it up into 2 blocks of 3 for the extra champion attacks. 

The Armor of Gork grants my MBMK a 6+ ward and +1 to hit in melee and the Glowin’ Tattoos are my second artifact which helps with his laser eyes. 

I could drop a unit of ArdBoyz and the Emerald Lifeswarm to bring the Shaman but then I worry if I’m not too hero heavy, in addition the Swampcalla Shaman is really really hard to get… he does not seem worth $185 for just that because I don’t really like Kruleboyz but my pure Ironjawz aren’t quite making the cut anymore for me. Expanding into some ranged threats and more magic might help bring me up to a more competitive level is my hope. 

11 hours ago, Jabbuk said:

I agree with that you need tome on chanter and glowing tattoos on prophet, but for that last artifact i generally can't decide if there are that good ones. Been trying a lot of the once per game ones with varying results.

And back to the boltboyz msu vs 6 plus shaman. Is that you do get one more squad if you drop the shaman. You do lose out on unleash hell though, which actually matter when fishing for 6s or 5s.

Also I feel like splitting the unit makes it harder for your opponent not to overkill anything. As one reinforced one is a realy juicy target of squishy glass cannons. And with MSU you get this nice topheavy effect with your wounds. Taking 5 out of 6 wounds still leave the unit at 50% power, which again forces your opponent to overkill it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Maw-krusha, 2xWarchanter, Wurrgog+Wardokk, One extra hero.

So what kind of infantry is being run for a list like that? I was running 20 ArdBoyz 1 unit of Brutes, 2 units of Gore Gruntas and 1 or 2 units of six or 3 Boltboyz. Which doesn’t really leave me room for much. I was getting MBMK, 2 chanters and a Wurgog 

6 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

So what kind of infantry is being run for a list like that? I was running 20 ArdBoyz 1 unit of Brutes, 2 units of Gore Gruntas and 1 or 2 units of six or 3 Boltboyz. Which doesn’t really leave me room for much. I was getting MBMK, 2 chanters and a Wurgog 

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Grand Strategy: hold the line
Triumphs: auto pass battleshock

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Command Trait: Skilled Leader
- Artefact: Armour of Gork
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Wardokk (80)*
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Wurrgog Prophet (150)*
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (90)**
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (115)**
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
- Lore of the Weird: Foot of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (320)***
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Gutrippaz (180)***
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)*
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)**
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (85)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Prismatic Palisade (40)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148
Drops: 13

That's my list atm.

• Like 1

That’s very interesting! I really only have an Ironjawz collection at the moment myself so I was going to keep painting that but at around $120ish more I could add a Wurgog and 6 Boltboyz to what I already have which felt pretty cheap and effective to me. I guess the most bang for my limited buck if you will. 

Also I have painted 15 out of 20 ArdBoyz, 1 out of 2 Warchanters, 4 out of 6 Gore Gruntas and 1 out of 5 Brutes so I feel I am for once coming close to a wholly painted 2,000 point list and it’s taken me since 2017 lol. 

I feel Armor of Gork is a huge benefit because it means I never need All Out Attack on my MBMK and he gains a 6+ ward which helps a little to increase survivability. 

So now I debate between glowing tattoos or Arcane Tome which I would bring either Bash ‘Em Ladz or possibly Green Hand of Gork to teleport my Brutes up field.