AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

37 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Megagargants can just walk ov

but they can't easily end their move on top of the boat. They can run over em, sure, but if there's a unit right behind and you can't fit your fat base over the boat, it'll gum up your movement. This may vary by TO, so I'd recommend checking with them so it isn't a nasty surprise, but most GT's are pretty harsh when it comes to trying to gingerly balance huge bases on irregular pieces of area terrain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vinnyt said:

but they can't easily end their move on top of the boat. They can run over em, sure, but if there's a unit right behind and you can't fit your fat base over the boat, it'll gum up your movement. This may vary by TO, so I'd recommend checking with them so it isn't a nasty surprise, but most GT's are pretty harsh when it comes to trying to gingerly balance huge bases on irregular pieces of area terrain. 

I believe in general defensible is a no go for stepping on, even if ungarrisoned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

But my Megagargants can just walk over your boats.

They can however place it so that you can't end your move in a favourable position. You may walk over them, if you can keep 3" of distance. However you also may not end your move on impassible terrain, which btw, boats are impassible terrain since they are a defensible terrain as per their warscroll. Core Rulebook 17.1.2. I've used endless spells in a similar way to bar the way of a gargant. It's not so much about placing the blocking piece away from you, but more about placing it in such a way that the gargant can't finish their move and/or charge from the direction they approach without ending with their base on top of the impassible piece, which they may not. And a boat... is a big piece you can't end your move on.

Edited by That Guy

Could work. A couple of Reavers staying behind and maybe holding objectives and pairs or trios of sharks going forward.

The Soulrenders I don't see doing too much here. The opponent would probably concentrate on the sharks so they won't bring to many Reavers back and do nothing otherwise.

Just picked up the book and the cards at a local shop. 

Looks OK so far but it wouldn't have hurt them to give us an extra marker sheet. Now the We have one where the tides and the rituals are printed on one side and the tactics are on the backside. Also there are no markers for the mount traits and bubbles.

8 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Sooo....

A list based around Namarti Reavers and sharks... and Soulrenders... is it possible?

Asking for a friend, which is me.

If you are interested in such a list, you might actually consider a Mor'Phann sub-faction build. In that sub-faction Soulrenders get to add 3 to the slain models returned. This way each of your Soulrenders return 4 to 6 Namarti models per turn. Pair it with a Tidecaster to drop down een extra boat and double dip on the currents, or add in a Eidolon of the Sea perhaps for some true healing shenanigans and debuffs on your enemy. (he can also very reliably drop down a lifeswarm to up the amount of revived Namarti even more)  You can play around with the build, you can also go the soulrenders + thrallmaster route and create super survivable and hard hitting units. Could even consider a leviadon since you are playing with namarti and sharks do also benefit from the void drum. Your sharks will be a supportive unit in this situation though. Your money is in the Namarti units for these lists. Not saying that sharks won't do work on their own though. 

3 hours ago, DocKeule said:

Just picked up the book and the cards at a local shop. 

Looks OK so far but it wouldn't have hurt them to give us an extra marker sheet. Now the We have one where the tides and the rituals are printed on one side and the tactics are on the backside. Also there are no markers for the mount traits and bubbles.

I wonder, do they include Entangled from sharks? What about the Thrallmaster fighting stances? These were included in the fury of the deep box. 

5 minutes ago, That Guy said:

If you are interested in such a list, you might actually consider a Mor'Phann sub-faction build. In that sub-faction Soulrenders get to add 3 to the slain models returned

I think a Soulrender makes more sense using Thralls. Your Reavers should not be shot at and unless the opponent focuses spells on them they will not have that many casulties to redeem the points for the Soulrender.

2 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I wonder, do they include Entangled from sharks? What about the Thrallmaster fighting stances? These were included in the fury of the deep box. 

They have 3x "entagled" and each stance once,

5 hours ago, That Guy said:

If you are interested in such a list, you might actually consider a Mor'Phann sub-faction build. In that sub-faction Soulrenders get to add 3 to the slain models returned. This way each of your Soulrenders return 4 to 6 Namarti models per turn. Pair it with a Tidecaster to drop down een extra boat and double dip on the currents, or add in a Eidolon of the Sea perhaps for some true healing shenanigans and debuffs on your enemy. (he can also very reliably drop down a lifeswarm to up the amount of revived Namarti even more)  You can play around with the build, you can also go the soulrenders + thrallmaster route and create super survivable and hard hitting units. Could even consider a leviadon since you are playing with namarti and sharks do also benefit from the void drum. Your sharks will be a supportive unit in this situation though. Your money is in the Namarti units for these lists. Not saying that sharks won't do work on their own though. 

I've actually been considering Mor'phann for lists ever since, well, ever since Idoneth released! Extra value for maybe my favorite model in the range absolutely had my attention. Truthfully I may wind up getting some more Thralls just so I can truly play the heck out of some Mor'phann.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have a question about mounts getting buffs.

Does Unstoppable Fury affect the mounts attacks as well, or just the King's weapons? What about things like Best Day Ever? Obviously the King's ability +1 to hit specifically states it doesn't affect the mounts, but I thought everything else affected ANY melee weapon on the profile.

Maybe I'm missing something!

51 minutes ago, Chronos said:

Hey guys, I have a question about mounts getting buffs.

Does Unstoppable Fury affect the mounts attacks as well, or just the King's weapons? What about things like Best Day Ever? Obviously the King's ability +1 to hit specifically states it doesn't affect the mounts, but I thought everything else affected ANY melee weapon on the profile.

Maybe I'm missing something!

Core rules 27.3.1:
5b4bfff50404e5cf0148db7b72a8e285.png

Unstoppable Fury is a command trait and mounts can't benefit from those if they affect attacks. Therefore, nope only the king's weapons. Still very 500% worth and the best command trait you can take on him. Best day ever does affect the mount, it's not an enhancement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocKeule said:

BTW: Has anyone noticed that Lotann's +1 to wound bubble does not exclude mounts?

Garrison him in a boat and his bubble would be prette big also.

Yeah, I’ve been tempted to replace the tidecaster in some lists for Lotann, he clearly is the best Isharran. There’s also 2 other things. The Sea Eidolons spell to reduce save rolls states you can pick d3 enemy units. Not d3 different enemy units. Therefore you can possibly -3 a single unit. As per FAQ such a situation was already clarified and yes you can target the same unit multiple times with such wording. Under the professional IDK players it’s a popular choice to now take one with Steed of Tides and teleport him in order to debuff and than engage with everything else. Also for the Akhelian king it doesn’t say his strike first ability is limited to 1 model only, therefore taking more kings means you can pretty much strike first all game long. And in case of the turtle a lot of people seem to miss that with the void drum in order to get +1 to hit for your Namarti, which btw includes shooting, requires the target of the attack to be wholly within 12” of the turtle. So you need to zip your turtle forwards in order to benefit from +1 to hit. Bye bye +1 save unless the enemy is in your face.

Edited by That Guy

In fact 2 new lists for our Ionrach friends. Ionrach will possibly the most competitive sub-faction, because on top of being able to grant high tide with Akhelian King, now you can also grant Flood and Ebb Tide out of sequence and you could even grant it on top of granting high tide. Mind you this only works for Akhelian units. Now finally the cherry on top is that once per battle Lotann can boost basically a second ritual, one you might’ve granted. Ionrach is the depth of our toolbox and it will be affective. Few of the lists:

Ionrach
Smash of the Kings. Eidolon teleports forwards debuffs stuff, can later on also teleport Lotann forwards. One of the Kings will grant High Tide to D3 units when the time is right, while charge smashing mortals all around the field, debuffing -1 to hit with Voidchill and just smash everything apart. Lotann tries to hang with some Thralls. You have good board control, everything smashes. You can easily get objectives. It’s nasty. Also the Sea Eidolon is as tanky as a stonehorn with better healing.

Spoiler

Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Army Subfaction: Ionrach
    - Grand Strategy: Dominating Presence
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)*
    - General
    - Command Traits: Unstoppable Fury
    - Bladed Polearm and Falchion
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Flaming Weapon

Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)*
    - Spells: Steed of Tides

Lotann (115)*

Akhelian King (250)**
    - Mount Traits: Voidchill Darkness

Akhelian King (250)**
    - Mount Traits: Swift-finned Impaler

Akhelian King (250)**

BATTLELINE

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Reavers (170)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

**Command Entourage

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

List 2 Ionrach
Point and Kill. Absolutely murder a Mawkrusha turn 1 easily by destroying them with 6 Morrsarr. You have enough different solid tools that operate great on their own or good in tandem with each other. Same trick with the Eidolon as with the other list. 

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)*
    - General
    - Artefacts: Armour of the Cythai/Tome

Lotann (115)*

BATTLELINE

1 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (390)*

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

OTHER

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)*
    - Razorshell Harpoon Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades

Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1965/2000)

Edited by That Guy

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

In fact 2 new lists for our Ionrach friends. Ionrach will possibly the most competitive sub-faction, because on top of being able to grant high tide with Akhelian King, now you can also grant Flood and Ebb Tide out of sequence and you could even grant it on top of granting high tide. Mind you this only works for Akhelian units. Now finally the cherry on top is that once per battle Lotann can boost basically a second ritual, one you might’ve granted. Ionrach is the depth of our toolbox and it will be affective. Few of the lists:

Ionrach
Smash of the Kings. Eidolon teleports forwards debuffs stuff, can later on also teleport Lotann forwards. The Kings continously grand High Tide, while charge smashing mortals all around the field, debuffing -1 to hit with Voidchill and just smash everything apart. Lotann tries to hang with some Thralls. You have good board control, everything smashes. You can easily get objectives. It’s nasty. Also the Sea Eidolon is as tanky as a stonehorn with better healing.

- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)*
    - General
    - Artefacts: Arcane Tome
    - Spells: Flaming Weapon

Lotann (115)*

Akhelian King (250)**

Akhelian King (250)**
    - Mount Traits: Swift-finned Impaler

Akhelian King (250)**

BATTLELINE

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

Namarti Reavers (170)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

**Command Entourage

TOTAL POINTS: (2000/2000)

List 2 Ionrach
Point and Kill. Absolutely murder a Mawkrusha turn 1 easily by destroying them with 6 Morrsarr. You have enough different solid tools that operate great on their own or good in tandem with each other. Same trick with the Eidolon as with the other list. 

- Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)*
    - General
    - Artefacts: Armour of the Cythai/Tome

Lotann (115)*

BATTLELINE

1 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (390)*

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195)*

Namarti Thralls (130)*

OTHER

1 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)*

Dracothian Guard Fulminators (230)*

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Battle Regiment

TOTAL POINTS: (1965/2000)

For the dracothian guard could you swap them out and make that 10 man thrall unit 30?  I like it a lot just don’t care for mixing in stormcast lol 

Edited by Derek

I'm not banking on the king combo making it past the FAQ.

Looking at something like this for Ionrach

- Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
     - Subfaction: Ionrach
     - Triumph: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Akhelian King (250)**
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
     - Spells: Flaming Weapon, Steed of Tides
Lotann (115)**
Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)**
     - Spells: Arcane Corrasion, Steed of Tides
BATTLELINE
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (195)*
OTHER
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (165)
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)**
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (165)**
     - Retarius Net Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Hunters of the Heartlands
 -  **Warlord
TOTAL POINTS: 1935/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

6 hours ago, Derek said:

Also in regards to the king and the using his ability multiple times because you have more than one king it doesn’t work,  his ability has the same wording as the slaan does regarding rolling for command points 

20AEED10-C253-475A-B88D-5F15E58F334B.jpeg

Yeah, you are right. You can't spam the Lord of Tides ability I missed that little clause. Even so.. It's still an interesting list, it gives you slightly more control over which king drops down the ability and honestly... twice per game strike first still(once on all and once on d3). Is still solid enough I would say. The Kings together will still smash apart a lot. If you are extremely lucky, you could have all kings strike first in 2 turns, because if you roll the result of 3 units, you can grant 3 of them strike first, followed up by your 4th king being your first normal activation. It's still brutal. Could considering to swap out 1 king for Volturnos, drop the reaver unit and add in an extra 10 thralls. You could run the thralls as 20, 10, 10 in that case.  You can also consider to drop 1 thrall unit instead and take a lifeswarm.

6 hours ago, Derek said:

For the dracothian guard could you swap them out and make that 10 man thrall unit 30?  I like it a lot just don’t care for mixing in stormcast lol 

You definitely could! Thralls are a solid unit and having 30 in 1 unit would be a strong hitting unit. They have 2" range so they'll do their work. 

Edited by That Guy

I managed to get 3 games over the weekend, once vs Lofnir Fyreslayers and twice vs Ymmetrica Lumineth,

The list was as below, though dropped 3 Morrsarr for 10 Reavers after the first game as wanted to test them out.

Spoiler

- Triumph: Inspired
LEADERS
Akhelian King (250)*
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Armour of the Cythai

- Mount Trait: Voidchill Darkness
Lotann (115)*

- Spell: Steed of Tides
BATTLELINE
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (390)*
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)*
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)*
OTHER
2 x Akhelian Allopexes (330)*
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Battle Regiment
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000

I am still new to this army, only played a handful of games before the new tome dropped as it was a lockdown project, and my opponents are seasoned tournament players who play for the national team for Worlds/6Nations so they pull no punches.

I lost vs Lofnir Fyreslayers, then drew and then lost vs Ymmetrica Lumineth.

Both the loss to Fyreslayers and draw to Lumineth could/should have been wins, but missplayed a few things and got a few rules wrong. Also had my 7 attack Akhelian King roll 6 1's when fighting Avelanor, and kill himself attacking 2 Magmadroths and turning off +1 to hit for my 2 other units due to poor sequencing, leaving the big Runefather on 2 wounds who then promptly fought twice and took out 500 points of my army.

The book does feel strong, perhaps doesn't have quite as much damage as I thought initially, though fighting Lumineth that ignore rend -1 and -2 and killing yourself against a -1 damage Magmadroth might not be fully representative of what the army can do. 

Debating whether being 1 drop is needed, as could possibly stick the Eels and even the Sharks in to Hunters, maybe even getting an additional artefact or providing the Eidolon with a second spell choice via Warlord.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DocKeule said:

I'm not sure about the 3 x 3 Morrsarr.

One trio will probably not kill the target and you don't want them stuck in combat.

Well I've got 40 thralls on the WIP pipeline haha.

Plan for now is to use the Ionrach ability to pull them out of combat and charge back in again. Plus they hang around near the king in case you get the chance to fight first with multiple units.

I don't really see much use for thralls or Reavers in the list right now.

I think you need to heavily invest in thralls for them to be worth. You need a turtle and a thrallmaster which adds a minimum 610 points before you even add the thralls.

39 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Well I've got 40 thralls on the WIP pipeline haha.

I think you need to heavily invest in thralls for them to be worth. You need a turtle and a thrallmaster which adds a minimum 610 points before you even add the thralls.

I am at 40 Thralls right now (+ 30 Reavers) and I won't add any more as well. 

I think Thralls can carry their weight if they are able to chose their battles. Support helps of course.

Also I think it is a bad design decision to make the Thrallmaster not a "Namarti Master" who does something for both unit types.

You could maybe mob the Morrsarr together in to two units of 6 and take a unit of Reavers to fill out the battleline, who can sit in a boat on the home objective or act as the forward screen if required.

Something like this could be fun, I think, forgoing drops in favour of more spell choices and making the big hitters immune to those nasty stomps and roars. 

Just playing hyper aggressive.

Spoiler

- Triumph: Inspired
LEADERS
Akhelian King (250)**
     - General
     - Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome
  - Mount Trait: Voidchill Darkness
     - Spells: Flaming Weapon, Pressure of the Deep
Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)**
     - Spells: Counter-current, Steed of Tides
Lotann (115)**
BATTLELINE
10 x Namarti Reavers (170)**
OTHER
CORE BATTALIONS
 -  *Hunters of the Heartlands
 -  **Warlord
TOTAL POINTS: 1970/2000

The 6s can be a bit unwieldy but you can get all 6 to fight by having 3 of them face inwards. 

Reliably 2s and 2s causes 17 Damage to a 2+ save before you factor in the zaps, and any shooting to soften up the target.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:09 AM, DocKeule said:

Has anyone noticed that Lotann's +1 to wound bubble does not exclude mounts?

you mean my lil Storm Eidolon? He's gonna run as fast as he can to keep up in almost every competitive list but I believe in him. 

3 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Debating whether being 1 drop is needed

I am always a huge proponent of 1 drop deepkin armies.