Reinforcement rules

CDM

Question

Hi guys could you explain the new reinforcement rules for me coming in 3.0?

I've read the article and comments on the forums but can't get my head around it and how it affects building lists, expanding choices that I've seen people mention etc!

I was just about to jump back on to AoS proper until 3.0 was announced and thought I'd wait until it's released now.

Many thanks

14 answers to this question

It's easier than what it seems. I'm not an english speaker but I will try to do my best.
Max number of models per unit will disappear in 3.0. Instead, in a 2000 points game, using Matched Play Battlepack (called Contest of Generals), you will have up to 4 Reinforcement points:

Spoiler

Reinforcement.jpg.5cec1f207e8cfb33788c651c2637aed5.jpg

You can only use 1 reinforcement for each unit in your army, unless it's a SINGLE, that type of unit can't take any Reinforcement.

Example: Heroes and some Monsters/Behemoths are going to be SINGLEs, so, you can't spend Reinforcements points on them.

Spend 1 Reinforcement point to double the minimum size of models per unit.

Example: If you have a minimum unit of 3 models, you can spend 1 Reinforcement point to update that unit to 6 models.
If you have a minimum unit of 5 models, you can spend 1 Reinforcement point to update that unit to 10 models.
If you have a minimum unit of 10 models, you can spend 1 Reinforcement point to update that unit to 20 models.
If you have a minimum unit of 20 models, you can spend 1 Reinforcement point to update that unit to 40 models.

Battleline units can spend up to 2 reinforcement points. In other words, you can double or triple their minimum size using reinforcements:

Example: If you have a minimum battleline unit of 10 models , you can spend 1 Reinforcement point to update that unit to 20 models or 2 reinforcements for 30 models!

Spoiler

AoSDaily ArmySelection Jun11 Boxout5

Edited by Beliman
  • Thanks 1

Ah now that line in that table makes it come together more for me! Thanks for your in-depth reply @beliman!

So let me check my understanding 😂

We're playing contest of generals at 2000 points.

I reinforce my skellies twice and my zombies once for 3 reinforcement points. Then I reinforce my dire wolves for a total of 4 reinforcement points.

And that is it, eveything else in my force will be the normal unit size?

Edited by CDM

1 minute ago, CDM said:

Ah now that line in that table makes it come together more for me! Thanks for your in-depth reply @beliman!

So let me check my understanding 😂

We're playing contest of generals at 2000 points.

I reinforce my skellies twice and my zombies once for 3 reinforcement points. Then I reinforce my dire wolves for a total of 4 reinforcement points.

And that is it, eveything else in my force will be the normal unit size?

Yep, that's all. 

Remember that we still need to see new points with GHB2021 and there are rumors that some units are going to change their minimum size from 5 to 10 and others from 10 to 20.

I'm actually thinking this is a great change. Couple with new unit coherence, reaction phase we could see movement and tactics really come to the fore.

I haven't played in a while but watch a lot of battle reports.  One thing that is often the case is people just rushing up and no real rythme or reason to it ( obviously sometines just bad play).

Would be great to see people really thinking of where they're placing their units, providing screens, charging chariots and cavalry into the flanks of a tied up unit! Too often people seem so keen just to make a charge even if you can't fully utilise the whole  unit because you only just made a 10" charge with a command point reroll🤦‍♂️

Careful placement could see you created a funnel for their unit which you can exploit and charge from both sides. 

Loads of extra tactics will come from just the change of unit coherency!

12 hours ago, Drib said:

I think Beliman is partly right. As it says "0-4 Reinforced Units", you could include  four trippled battleline units. At least as far as I know, there is no such thing as "Reinforcement Points".

Now with pics/videos around we now that in fact that those are "reinforcment points" for all intents and purposes. So battleleine unit doubly reinforced will deduct 2 points/slots from Reinforced units allowance.

3 hours ago, Fellman said:

If the unit is not a "true" batelline tex "ironguts if general is gutbuster" how much can i reinforce theme?

Depends entirely if requirment for it was fulfilled. So if you take say Tyrant as general Ironguts are battleline for all rules purposes, and so can be reinforced 2 times.

19 hours ago, Drib said:

Could you cite your source? The offical post "Core Battalion Rules Shake Up Matched Play Army Building in the New Edition" does not indicate anything like "Reinforcement Points".

Not 'reinforcement points' necessarily but the premise is correct. Each time you reinforce a unit you lose one 'point' of your total reinforcements.

Screenshot_20210615-073109_Drive.jpg

I came here to post the exact same question, so thanks for asking it and thanks for the answer!

Seeing how it limits “maxed” units, depending on the overall size of the army, makes so much more sense. Before this explanation, I thought they were just giving a name (reinforcement) to an option we’ve had for years (bigger units). 

Edit: twice reinforced units count as two reinforced units. (Core Rules, 25.3.2, Page 30).

Spoiler

I think Beliman is partly right. As it says "0-4 Reinforced Units", you could include  four trippled battleline units. At least as far as I know, there is no such thing as "Reinforcement Points".

Edited by Drib

Could you cite your source? The offical post "Core Battalion Rules Shake Up Matched Play Army Building in the New Edition" does not indicate anything like "Reinforcement Points".

Unit Size

[..]

Perhaps you noticed the line from the Contest of Generals battlepack that mentioned reinforced units? These units are simply double the size of the minimum listed in their Pitched Battle profile. If the unit has the Battleline battlefield role, you can reinforce them twice, making them three times the minimum size. Now you can still run large hordes as long as you don’t exceed the available slots for reinforced units