First Prince Army also a Grand Alliance Chaos Army?

Mandollies

Question

So Sigmar Rules Question (prompted by a off hand comment Warhammer Weekly made that gave me this idea - FWIW they didn't pick up on the potential ramifications);

"LEGION OF THE FIRST PRINCE
When you pick the Chaos allegiance for your army, you can say that it will be a Legion of the First Prince army."

This is from the Slaanesh army (the closest thing I can find;)
"ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES
This section describes the allegiance abilities available to a Slaanesh army. The rules for using allegiance abilities can be found in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Core Book."

From Broken Realms Morathi (Stormkeep)
"When you pick the Stormcast Eternals allegiance for your army, you can say it will be a Stormkeep army. If you do so, you must use the Celestial Sentinels battle traits on this page instead of the Legends of the Living Tempest battle traits from Battletome: Stormcast Eternals (it is still considered to be a Stormcast Eternals army for the purposes of the other allegiance abilities)."

Does this mean that the Legion of the First Prince is still a Chaos Army and so benefits from the generic Chaos Battle Traits; Command Trait & Artifacts?

Further to that (and to be honest this is a bigger Question as the Chaos Allegiance abilities are a bundle of mostly Meh) The FAQ states;

Q: The rules say that a warscroll battalion can include allies and that they don’t count against the number of allies in the army. Does this rule only apply to battalions that share the same allegiance as the army, but that have units from two different factions (a battalion in a Daughters of Khaine army that has Daughters of Khaine and Stormcast Eternals units, for example)?
A: Yes. The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of. Warscroll battalions that share the same allegiance as an army can always be taken as part of the army, and if they include any allied units, these units do not count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (or against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle). An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

The Question is then; as Legion of the First Princes is a Chaos Allegiance army (possibly) does this mean that it can take the various Daemon Battalions and have them not count as Allies? (Ie take Changehost for example in the army and the units inside get the First Prince & Chaos Traits)

5 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Actually, I wish I knew what they mean about the allegiance a warscroll battailon has when it is a both the title of the formation, when there is literally nothing telling you, to what allegiance it owns fealty.

it is very confusing

I do recall somewhere where it stated in a FAQ (I think) a Battalion has where its whatever book it is in. Hang on;

"Q: Some warscroll battalions included in battletomes do not have a faction listed above their title. How do I determine which faction they belong to for the purposes of allegiance abilities?
A: The battalion belongs to all of the factions in that battletome. For example, the warscroll battalions in Battletome: Stormcast Eternals are part of the Stormcast Eternals faction."

That said; I also just looked at the XINTIL WAR-MAGI Battalion in BR: Teclis. No Faction listed; and Broken Realms Teclis isnt a Battletome - so some assumptions look to have been made already...

2 hours ago, Mandollies said:

That said; I also just looked at the XINTIL WAR-MAGI Battalion in BR: Teclis. No Faction listed; and Broken Realms Teclis isnt a Battletome - so some assumptions look to have been made already...

Page 90 of BR:Teclis would cover these battalions as it mentions they are an update to the relevant battletomes.

9 hours ago, GrimDork said:

Page 90 of BR:Teclis would cover these battalions as it mentions they are an update to the relevant battletomes.

Is that in the section where it also says unique also = named characters hiding a new rule?

bring on 3rd where they can clarify all of this in the one place :)

On 4/29/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mandollies said:

"LEGION OF THE FIRST PRINCE
When you pick the Chaos allegiance for your army, you can say that it will be a Legion of the First Prince army."

This is from the Slaanesh army (the closest thing I can find;)
"ALLEGIANCE ABILITIES
This section describes the allegiance abilities available to a Slaanesh army. The rules for using allegiance abilities can be found in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar Core Book."

Either Slaanesh or Cities of Sigmar.

The weird thing with Legions of the First Prince is. It is not based on a Special Allegiance Keyword like the other two (the three Hosts in the Hedonites Battletome are based on the Slaanesh Allegiance, and in case of Cities of Sigmar it is based on the Cities of Sigmar Allegiance. Here they choose chaos because the units are split between 5 Allegiances.  It updates and replaces a Allegiance Abilities and a Subfaction of the Wrath of Everchosen Book (after it didn't replace the Battalions from Wrath of Everchosen, those Battalions would most likely still be used here.

The Problem with the FAQs is, the point if a Battalion (or the units inside were part of the Allegiance) was never part of the rules itself (at least not on page 15 of the corerules or the Matched Play rules).

It was a FAQ decition that was an entire U-Turn how Battalions worked in the first edition, so we can really hope that GW will have a description inside the rules in 3rd Edition, how they want Battalions to work, or if we really get the "Matched Play Battalions" that were mentioned in Rumours.

14 hours ago, Aeon said:

Is that in the section where it also says unique also = named characters hiding a new rule?

bring on 3rd where they can clarify all of this in the one place :)

No, you mean the Pitched Battle profiles.

Page 90 in Broken Realms Teclis states, that Page 92-95 is an update for the Maggotkin of Nurgle Battletome, Page 96-99 an Update for the Cities of Sigmar Battletome, Page 100 an Update for the Flesh-Eater Courts Battletome, and Page 101 for Ossiarch Bonereapers. So Battalions on these pages in the book are handled as they would be inside the Battletome.

The XINTIL WAR-MAGI Battalion is on page 97 of the book, so it is an Update for the Cities of Sigmar Battletome.