Must have hobby products.

Ben

I have to echo wet palette, my setup isn't very advanced, I am still making do with a full set of GW brushes I got as a gift which are working just fine, though I picked up an army painter sable for detail.

I have really been a big fan of the hobby box. During my recent student years I moved a lot between home and uni, different flats etc and being able to keep a few things with me and deploy it as a semi-permanent paint station has been great. I look forward to having space for a permanent station, but for now it does the trick.

My wet palette, for those who are thinking about it, is simply the pack my weirdnob came in, with the back cut off completely. Then fold up kitchen towel, put baking paper on top (non waxed), and boom. Wet palette. Super easy, stop thinking and do it!

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

My wet palette, for those who are thinking about it, is simply the pack my weirdnob came in, with the back cut off completely. Then fold up kitchen towel, put baking paper on top (non waxed), and boom. Wet palette. Super easy, stop thinking and do it!

Cling film on the top between sessions and it'll last even longer ;)  I tend to use a disposable cloth (jay cloth type thing) instead of kitchen towel and a layer of blotting paper on top.  I feel it keeps the paint cooler and more moist than other methods.  That said I've not used my wet palette for any of my AoS models yet - wanted to prove I could still paint "old school".  Might have to dig it out for my Slaughterpriest...

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I have really been a big fan of the hobby box. During my recent student years I moved a lot between home and uni, different flats etc and being able to keep a few things with me and deploy it as a semi-permanent paint station has been great. I look forward to having space for a permanent station, but for now it does the trick.

Are you referring to the GW hobby (project?) box? Or do you have some other solution?

I don't have a hobby box myself, but only an old paint station, though I would prefer to have a closed box that could hold both the paints + supplies and a couple of minies that I'm working on at the moment. I looked at the GW hobby box, but I am not really sure it's worth the price, and haven't seen any other alternatives that struck me as a perfect solution, so I am interested in hearing about other peoples experiences and setups.

It's the GW one. I don't keep paints in them since I have one of the old carrying cases and the foam is a perfect paint pot fit. But it has nice slots for all your brushes, different compartments for basing materials, minis etc. You could probably get foam inserts to fit but I use bubble wrap for now. And the paint tray is useful for deploying as a semi permanent station

Just thought of another item that I use!

Tattoo ink pots: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009OBXQ5C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're super cheap and great for putting washes or similar in.  Once finished let it dry out and bin it.  Primarily I use them for thinning paints down prior to putting into the airbrush but if I'm doing an all over wash then they're an essential

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2016 at 5:19 PM, amysrevenge said:

It was super, stupidly easy. 

I took the lid to a plastic food container, like in the photo.

I folded up a paper towel (might be known as "kitchen roll" in some parts of the world) to fit the space.

I cut a piece of parchment paper (the kind I normally would use to line a baking pan with) to fit the space.  (This is the one part that you might or night not have in your house - when i was a 20 year old bachelor I hadn't even heard of the stuff, but these days I go through it pretty fast.)  Important: NOT waxed paper - the whole point of the parchment paper is that water will slowly bleed through - waxed paper wouldn't work at all.

Liberally wet the paper towel, put the parchment paper on top. 

I use a second container lid as a cover when I'm not painting (they are designed to stack so the seal is actually pretty good), and every couple of days I re-wet or replace the paper towel, and cut a new piece of parchment paper as required.

What it means, though, is that I can sit down to paint and be instantly ready - don't need to get out any bottles or mix anything or thin anything - it's all sitting there from last time.  It's not a lot of work to get started, but it's a psychological barrier that is now completely gone.

ziploc-300x300.jpg

You Sir are a legend!

This weekend I finally got around to trying your method and I've had amazing results. I wish I'd know how easy this was years ago!

For anyone in the UK wanting to make sure they get the right paper I bought this for £2...IMG_1774.JPG

Good riddance to the days of cleaning plastic pallets!

12 minutes ago, AdamJ said:

Thanks for the advice. The Tesco's stuff is also brown. What problems did you encounter? Just wondering what I should watch out for.

Just found that the paint pooled a bit too much on the ones I picked up and subsequently split (GW base paints seemed to be the worse).  I've not tried the one you have so could have been bad luck!  I did nab some from my Mum when I lived at hers that was brown and that worked fine :D

33 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Just found that the paint pooled a bit too much on the ones I picked up and subsequently split (GW base paints seemed to be the worse).  I've not tried the one you have so could have been bad luck!  I did nab some from my Mum when I lived at hers that was brown and that worked fine :D

That's good to know. I used to have terrible trouble with GW metallic separating (Leadbelcher and Liberator gold specifically) before I used a wet pallet. However so far the metallics have been fine on the wet pallet.

I wrote a blog post on this last year in terms of what you'd need to start the painting side of the hobby if you came to it fresh. It can be found here for those interested https://judgingjester.com/2015/02/18/genesis-of-a-painting-daemon/

Now the things that I can't do without are....

Good brushes

'The Masters' Brush Cleaner

A wet palette 

A daylight lamp

Paint Thinner 

Kitchen roll

Patience 

Archived