Questions about the Freeguild General and Light of Eltharion.

General Charles Yeager (that's what I call my Freeguild General :D ) can cast 'hold the line'. Can he cast this on himself if he meets the requirements? I read the battletome very carefully but it doesn't say one way or the other.

As for the Light of Eltharion: it says that all damage from melee and missile attacks done to him are halved. Does that mean all the damage that comes from things that aren't listed as such are not? It would mean that spells like Comet of Casandora and Strike of Eagles do full damage, but Searing Beam of Light and Storm of Shemtek do not because despite being kinda magicky they are classified as missile weapons. However the Steel Behemoth ability from the Steam Tank would do full damage since it is not listed as missile or melee. Correct?

I'm asking because I'll be playing a game against my brother in law's Lumineths and I rather have clarity on this.

The general can buff himself, just remember he loses the benefit if he moves afterwards.

Light of Eltharion only reduces damage, mortal wounds are a different thing so the reduction does not apply to mortal wounds of any source. 

21 hours ago, Barbarian Borelord said:

As for the Light of Eltharion: it says that all damage from melee and missile attacks done to him are halved. Does that mean all the damage that comes from things that aren't listed as such are not? It would mean that spells like Comet of Casandora and Strike of Eagles do full damage, but Searing Beam of Light and Storm of Shemtek do not because despite being kinda magicky they are classified as missile weapons. However the Steel Behemoth ability from the Steam Tank would do full damage since it is not listed as missile or melee. Correct?

Reducing damage means, that 'Damage' statistic of any attack that targets him is halved. It only works for things that have 'Damage' statistic, so any attacks without a regular statline (say, Storm of Shemtek) are not affected, as there's no 'Damage' that can be reduced.

I'm not entirely convinced... This is what Eltharion's warscroll says:

'Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target this model. In addition, halve the damage inflicted by attacks made with missile weapons or melee weapons that target this model (rounding up).'

Storm of Shemtek is listed under missile weapons on the Hurricanum's warscroll, as is Searing Beam of Light on the Luminark's. I can't just ignore that...

• Confused 1

Storm of shemtek and searing beam of light are missile weapons, we are not contesting that.

However they don't have a damage stat to reduce, they don't use the regular attack sequence and instead do mortal wounds who are something different than damage.

I decided to contact Games Workshop about this: the reply was that indeed all damage inflicted on LoE that is not listed as missile or melee does full damage. I then suggested as politely as I could that from a lore perspective it isn't very logical if a ghost that takes reduced damage from spears and swords and all that takes full damage from being run over by a tank, and while he takes full damage from a magical spell, that is reduced again if the magic comes from a magical cart. The guy said he would pass this feedback on to the relevant people.

Out of the long list  of things in the rules that are not logical from the lore perspective, this one doesn't even place in top 10 ; )

(But the damage coming from magical cart is *not* halved because, and I know it's weird, it doesn't technically deal *damage*. It deals *mortal wounds*. Completely different things :D)

1 hour ago, dekay said:

(But the damage coming from magical cart is *not* halved because, and I know it's weird, it doesn't technically deal *damage*. It deals *mortal wounds*. Completely different things :D)

(It deals mortal wounds, which translated to damage taken, which you compare to the wounds value. Between to wounds, wounds characteristic, mortal wounds, damage characteristic and damage taken, those wordclouds are not very intuitive).

If i remember rigth mortal wounds count as separate damage each.

So if you get a d6 mortal wounds and get a 5,you arent hitted by a single hit of 5 mortals,you get 5 separate hits of 1 mortal.

So you cant reduce it because it is 1 each

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, Kaime said:

However they don't have a damage stat to reduce, they don't use the regular attack sequence and instead do mortal wounds who are something different than damage.

I don't agree with your answer. Eltharion's special rule Spirit Armour says:

Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target this model. In addition, halve the damage inflicted by attacks made with missile weapons or melee weapons that target this model (rounding up).

Mortal wounds definition from the core rules:

Some attacks, spells and abilities inflict mortal wounds. Do not make hit, wound or save rolls for mortal wounds. Instead, the damage inflicted on the target is equal to the number of mortal wounds that were suffered.

Finally look at the the Luminark's Searing Beam of Light:

1. It is an attack with a missile weapon, so it is covered by Spirit Armour. Check.

2. It inflicts mortal wounds which inflict damage per mortal wounds definition. Check.

So the damage inflicted by the attack of the missile weapon is halved per Eltharion's Spirit Armour (rounding up).

• Like 1