Shrine Luminor Command Point Usage

Dreadmund

Question

Regarding this rule from the new Shrine Luminor, who is actually "using" the command ability for things like Inspiring Presence and On the Double?

So for example, lets say I want to use inspiring presence on a unit of wardens and they are in range of a hero garrisoned within the Shrine. Are the Wardens the one's "using" the command ability making it cost 1CP, or is it the hero in the shrine using it ON them, meaning it costs me nothing?

I would assume the latter, but I wanted to be sure.

8aa8675a-5ab1-401f-a16f-3d65253ef517.jpg

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, jamie.white said:

Well the wardens don’t have a command ability to use , they are the target of the command ability . 

Neither does, say, a Cathallar though. Inspiring presence is drawn from the core rules, not their warscroll or alliegence abilities.

2 hours ago, jamie.white said:

Correct - but in order to use a command ability you need to be  a hero. 

I commonly see people saying that is not the case. I really dont know what to think anymore. The argument is that the command abilities in the GHB says to pick a unit, and the hero is just necessary for measurment. It is still the unit that is picked. Some abilities does specify "a uni with this ability", ie the hero. So theres also a difference in wording between abilities. 

9 hours ago, Dreadmund said:

Regarding this rule from the new Shrine Luminor, who is actually "using" the command ability for things like Inspiring Presence and On the Double?

So for example, lets say I want to use inspiring presence on a unit of wardens and they are in range of a hero garrisoned within the Shrine. Are the Wardens the one's "using" the command ability making it cost 1CP, or is it the hero in the shrine using it ON them, meaning it costs me nothing?

I would assume the latter, but I wanted to be sure.

8aa8675a-5ab1-401f-a16f-3d65253ef517.jpg

It’s the latter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

A command ability is "used" by the model being measured from. So when you use inspiring presence you are measuring from a hero; that's the one using it.

The clarification is in the core rules FAQ, didnt look up the exact quote but it's pretty clear in its meaning.

I pointed to that quote in a conversation in an FB group, It still did not convince the person. The argument is still that some abilities refer to the unit, some to the hero, strenghtening the argument that the unit is the target (for the universal abilities). But after reading that quote again I just cant come to any other conclusion that it is still the hero using it, even for the universals. But some people will play it differently. 

Some people believe the world is flat; no amount of evidence or logic will reach them because they have chosen not to believe in reality. Your best resort is to relentlessly attack their position on its fallacious grounds instead of defending yours. Force them to try and defend their house of straw. Crush their will and break them. Grind their very sense of self into the dirt beneath your feet. Then, and only then, do you measure the range to see if your unit can be made immune to battleshock.

• Haha 1