Bretonnian Free Peoples

Duke Khadric

Hi, many old Bret players out there? Are you continuing to build your army? What success/failures have you had on the battlefield? I'm interested to see if folks have been hobbying up a storm with an Azyrite Free Peoples Bretonnian theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually started a Bret army when AoS came out, funnily enough. I've managed to have a decent amount of success with them, winning Best Overall at Adepticon. The only non-Bret unit I routinely add into my army is a Hurricanum, because Hurricanum's are disgusting.  Aside from that, I run pure Bretonnians.

I think they play exactly as you expect them to play - really mobile, hit like a ton of bricks on the charge, resilient with the Blessing. They fall flat when they don't make their charges though, which can result in them being fairly swingy (i.e. you miss a couple charges = you lose, make your charges = you win). 

In the General's Handbook, they are pretty cheaply costed per model, unfortunately, the minimum unit sizes for Battleline are kind of limiting, as most of the units break up into 8's, while their bonuses kick in at 10 or 20. This means you have to pay for a lot of extra models to hit certain thresholds. For instance, you have to pay for 32(!) Peasant Bowmen to get their quadruple shot, which I feel isn't worth it.

I'm toying with adding more Free People or Stormcast to mine for some extra flavor. There are some potentially nice synergies between Free Guild and Brets.

Mainly Bret player here, in fact I have just finished rebasing them all to ovals finally. I play mainly Brets and get good results. Trumpeters on Knights plus Reckless on General as Command Trait means pretty much guaranteed charges where you need them. Paladin and Bowmen are filth. 

I have started modelling my Empire army to fit in with a Free People list. Head and Shield swaps etc. Freeguild General on Griffon Command ability giving +1 to Charge, Run and Hit plus +1 to wound from Wildform Battlemage on a unit of 16 Knights means 2 attacks, 2's and 2's damage 2. Which will delete most things. 

For the Lady! Wherever she may be these days! 

(Another good combo is Bret Lord on Pegasus as Legendary Fighter and Relic Sword on the charge near a Huricanum. 6 attacks 2's and 3's Rend -1 and D3+2 damage. It hurts a lot of people.) 

many more combos in the army too. 

A combo I stumbled across the other day is a Freeguild General using his hold the line command ability on units of Bret archers using arrowstorm. If they're stood next to a paladin you're looking at quadruple attacks hitting and wounding on 3's. Not sure how viable it is for matched play as it uses up your general slot and peasant bowmen aren't even battleline, but it could be pretty amazing against an opponent with low saves.

3 hours ago, AGPO said:

Perry miniatures have some great models to use as Bretonians now the official range is unavailable.

Also just picked up a box of Fireforge Games Foot Sergents. £23 for 48 minis! 

Can also be built as crossbow men. Building them as 20 Crossbow men, 10 Swordsmen and 16 Men at Arms, all in a more Bretonnian theme using Freeguild rules for crossbow and Swordsmen. 

Im going to a tournament in October using a mix of Freeguild and Brettonians. I am running King Louen to give my Free people battleshock immunity and a big block of Realm Knights as battleline, combined with some Freeguild shooting, some cannons and a Hurricanum. I don't think its a super strong list, but it seems well rounded. Only played one test game with it (against Sylvaneth) which I lost horribly, but I will have another game soon, and hopefully will have learned something from my mistakes.

I think Brets work well supplementing the other factions now. This is a list I was contemplating a while ago. 

1 Freeguild General on Griffon, great hammer, reckless trait and quicksilver potion.

1 Bretonnian Damsel on horse.

1 Bretonnian Paladin. 

1 Ironweld Arsenal Gunmaster with long rifle.

1 Empire Cannon.

5 Freeguild Pistoliers.

10 Bretonnian Grail Knights.

20 Freeguild with halberds. 

10 Freeguild with sword and shield.

20 Freeguild Greatswords.

20 Freeguild Crossbowmen.

Total = 2000 points.

Archived