- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

Battalions
Ruinbringer Warband (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Eightfold Doom-sigil (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 129

Been looking to make a low model count/cab heavy list for a while now. Slaves to Darkness seemed perfect.

Living for the the charge. Mark of Slaanesh everywhere for extra attacks and charges. Karkadrak to lead the Knights and Chariots, Marauders to objective grab, Sorcerer to hopefully be somewhat of a survivable anvil and set the doom sigil up where fighting is thickest.

Any advice welcome. Haven't made a chaos list before.

Edited by FlipRecoil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wraith said:

In the Ravagers legion, does the general get both a command trait and a Ravagers command trait?

@FlipRecoil The General doesn't get the "Ravagers Command Trait" the entry in the Warscroll Builder only exists because normally only general can get a command trait, but in a Ravagers army 5 different models can have a command trait, so the entry is for the models that aren't your general.

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

@FlipRecoil The General doesn't get the "Ravagers Command Trait" the entry in the Warscroll Builder only exists because normally only general can get a command trait, but in a Ravagers army 5 different models can have a command trait, so the entry is for the models that aren't your general.

Ok, makes sense. Cheers! 👌

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

It is a bit confusing. Also, is it the general plus 5 more Heros, or does that 5 heros figure include the general. For any casual reader’s reference, we are talking about how the Ravager legion trait “Glory for the Taking” works.

44 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Looking at the rules, it's up to 5 plus the general (so basicly every hero that isn't a daemonprince).

Ok, so that makes it impossible for the general to have two traits anyway.

What about the list? Would he be better off splitting the Chaos Knights into four units of five each, so to maximise the MW from the battalion trait?

Also, he needs chaff to help ensure the heavy cavalry and chariots get the charge. He needs to have those ones charge. I guess he could use the Marauder Horse for screening. Or drop something to get some Untamed Beasts or allied Ungor Raiders.

56 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Ok, so that makes it impossible for the general to have two traits anyway.

What about the list? Would he be better off splitting the Chaos Knights into four units of five each, so to maximise the MW from the battalion trait?

Also, he needs chaff to help ensure the heavy cavalry and chariots get the charge. He needs to have those ones charge. I guess he could use the Marauder Horse for screening. Or drop something to get some Untamed Beasts or allied Ungor Raiders.

Cool makes sense. I'm thinking of putting lances in a 10 man unit for the 2" and extra punch on th charge. 

Splitting the other one into 5 and keeping ensorcelled weapons seems like a good plan. 

Ravager command ability will let me bring in more Marauder Horseman too. 

I'll be keeping the mounted theme throughout though. Because thematic!

4 hours ago, FlipRecoil said:

Cool makes sense. I'm thinking of putting lances in a 10 man unit for the 2" and extra punch on th charge. 

Splitting the other one into 5 and keeping ensorcelled weapons seems like a good plan. 

Lances only do an average of 2-3 more damage than ensorcelled weapons on the charge for a unit of 10, and do significantly less when not charging. With no way to grant bonus attacks, and without running a chaos lord for the double pile in, id recommend sticking with ensorcelled weapons. 

I've been planning out a similar cav based list, but playing with khorne or nurgle marks. Khorne gives access to bloodsecrator buffs and the aura effects make lances actually a decent choice, while nurgle supports what I think the Knights do best- pinning units and acting like a wide tarpit with decent output. Getting the +1 to save with the warshrine prayer and -1 to hit from shooting with the general's aura make the Knights tough to shift. What are your thoughts as to going slaanesh?

2 hours ago, Graywater said:

Lances only do an average of 2-3 more damage than ensorcelled weapons on the charge for a unit of 10, and do significantly less when not charging. With no way to grant bonus attacks, and without running a chaos lord for the double pile in, id recommend sticking with ensorcelled weapons. 

I've been planning out a similar cav based list, but playing with khorne or nurgle marks. Khorne gives access to bloodsecrator buffs and the aura effects make lances actually a decent choice, while nurgle supports what I think the Knights do best- pinning units and acting like a wide tarpit with decent output. Getting the +1 to save with the warshrine prayer and -1 to hit from shooting with the general's aura make the Knights tough to shift. What are your thoughts as to going slaanesh?

Hey, thanks for the input!

Honestly, I chose Slaanesh because it fits more with the paint scheme I had in mind for them. Also, re-roll charges and exploding 6's seems like it could make the Knights and Chariots more punchy and make the most of the battalion special rule

20 minutes ago, FlipRecoil said:

Hey, thanks for the input!

Honestly, I chose Slaanesh because it fits more with the paint scheme I had in mind for them. Also, re-roll charges and exploding 6's seems like it could make the Knights and Chariots more punchy and make the most of the battalion special rule

Thats fair. I'm always interested in hearing people's reasoning for one thing or another because they might see something I don't. Reroll charges is certainly helpful with what this army wants to do. I just chose to go a different route. The karkadrak's CA gives you reroll charges on your Knights and a +1 to hit. Relying on giving that to a couple of units turn 1 means I still get the reroll charge, but with a bonus of +1 to hit and I can take a different mark that grants more useful buffs. I can respect wanting your mark to match your scheme though.

• Like 1

My typical list is more rounded, but the cav is what drew me to slaves as a faction. I've been playing this list in casual games and it's a lot of fun. 

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness
- Damned Legion: Despoilers
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Bloodsecrator (120)
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (110)
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Definitely isn't going to be winning any tournaments, but its pretty fun to send a couple waves of buffed up Knights through your opponents flank. With +1 attack from bloodsecrator, +1 to hit and reroll charges from karkadrak, +1 to wound from khorne aura, reroll hits, wounds, and saves from sorceror... they can do some reliable work.

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

My typical list is more rounded, but the cav is what drew me to slaves as a faction. I've been playing this list in casual games and it's a lot of fun. 

- Damned Legion: Despoilers
Chaos Lord on Karkadrak (230)
- Artefact: Armour of Tortured Souls
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
- General
- Axe
- Command Trait: Paragon of Ruin
- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (110)
- Spell: Whispers of Chaos
Bloodsecrator (120)
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Cursed Lance
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

Definitely isn't going to be winning any tournaments, but its pretty fun to send a couple waves of buffed up Knights through your opponents flank. With +1 attack from bloodsecrator, +1 to hit and reroll charges from karkadrak, +1 to wound from khorne aura, reroll hits, wounds, and saves from sorceror... they can do some reliable work.

How's playing the Bloodsecrator with the Sorcerer Lord?  Any issues there with the 16" re-roll or do you mainly use it for Oracular Visions and potential unbind?

14 minutes ago, Archion89 said:

How's playing the Bloodsecrator with the Sorcerer Lord?  Any issues there with the 16" re-roll or do you mainly use it for Oracular Visions and potential unbind?

Oracular visions alone is worth it. Demonic power is a great bonus and goes off often enough with only being a 6 to cast. The warshrine is a nice backup if the spell doesn't go off, as you can get the reroll to hit and wound effect from the undivided prayer too.

You're only casting 1 spell per turn so its not too disruptive. Much more disruptive for any opponent who wants to cast against you.

19 hours ago, FlipRecoil said:

Just remember you need a command point to summon and each general can only do it once. Marauder horse should do ok as screens. They can retreat and shoot or charge, in theory. I wouldn’t expect them to live long, though. If their untimely deaths lead to your chariots and knights doing max damage with charges, then I guess the marauder horse have done their bit ‘for the team’.

• Like 1

Out of interest what do you all reckon to this one? I was just messing about with the idea of Varanguard but no Archaon. Keeping the cav theme. 

- Damned Legion: Knights of the Empty Throne

Leaders
Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 6 (560)
- General
- Command Trait: Inescapable Doom
- Artefact: Grasping Plate
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Knights of the Empty Throne Varanguard x 3 (280)
- Artefact: Corrupted Nullstone
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- Spell: Mask of Darkness

Battleline
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
- Javelin & Shield
- Javelin & Shield

Behemoths
Chaos Warshrine (170)

Battalions
Plaguetouched Warband (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 119

I do Not know if this is viable for you, but you can make a pretty decent cavalry list with Khorne. You can include all the Slaves to Darkness buffs, but add the Khorne buffs as well. If you play the Flayed Slaughterhost, your Knights can get +1 save when they kill a Hero or Monster, on top of that you gain a Command Ability that grants charging units +1 to Hit. 

Here is what can be included if you play a Kav army with Khorne:

+1 attack from Bloodsecrator

+1 Attack from Wrathmongers

+1 attack from Aspiring Deathbringer

+3 to run and charge + re-roll wounds from Bloodstoker

+1 to Hit from Slaughterpriest prayer

+1 to Hit from Flayed Command ability

So there is loads of additional buffs on top of the buffs you already have access to. And you have access to Skullcrushers or Blood crushers. 

• Thanks 1

Love the idea of an all cavalry list (I used to field an all Orc & Goblin cavalry list in WFB!) and when I was looking at a theme for my new S2D army I looked at the Ruinbringer Warband and thought - that's for me! Sadly, in order to get the most use out of the Ravager's Battle Trait, I've had to include a couple of foot heroes (and Be'Lakor because he's ace - really looking forward to getting the new model!).

I too have gone down the Ravagers route for my list - I've been building and painting it since last September and have just the one unit to finish!

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness - Damned Legion: Ravagers

LEADERS

Be'Lakor (240) - Spell: Whispers of Chaos

Derik Shoeslicer (230) Chaos Lord on Karkadrak - General - Command Trait: Flames of Spite - Artefact: Cloak of the Relentless Conqueror - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Goredun Henderson (110) Chaos Lord - Reaperblade & Daemonbound Steel - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Ravagers Command Trait: Eternal Vendetta

Nigl the Counter (170) Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount - Artefact: Mark of the High-favoured - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Ravagers Command Trait: Favoured of the Pantheon

C'evin Oncenamed (170) Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount - Mark of Chaos: Khorne - Ravagers Command Trait: Master of Deception

The Fifth (110) Chaos Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch - Spell: Mask of Darkness - Ravagers Command Trait: Bolstered by Hate

UNITS

5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Ensorcelled Weapons - Mark of Chaos: Khorne

BATTALIONS

Ruinbringer Warband (140)

1970pts

My plan for this army is to try and get as many opportunities to roll on the Eye of the Gods Table! I've painted up a couple of Daemon Princes and a couple of Spawns in anticipation!

• 2 months later...

I love the gorebeast model and have one myself. From a purely points efficiency perspective though, I think you get significantly more from regular chariots. The extra movement along with run and charge is critical to a unit that must be the one to charge for effective damage output. The regular chariots also actually put out more MW damage on the charge than gorebeats statistically. On top of this they're 30 points cheaper which isn't a small margin when you're taking multiple.

It depends on just how optimized you want to be without compromising your vision for the army you want to play I suppose. Definitely really cool model and the chain used by the gorebeast is significantly less fragile than the bit of rope used by the regular chariots. Thinking about transportation of those models without that rope snapping makes me wince

• Like 1