Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

Tusks for the suggestions! Looking forward to my next battle with these options!

I've been thinking about dropping my Freeguild General on Griffon controversially. I don't use von as general and he's very costly (300 point). I was thinking about using his points to bring in three nearly four reasonably priced hero's instead - what do you think? 

I've decided to boost my artillery,  particularly as I'm playing a defensive scenario next - so feel a gunmaster is a must. Im also intregued by bretonian paladins with their 4xD3 attacks or single D6 mortal wounds on a 3. I considered taking a pair of them to run with my greatswords (giving them buffs, but also adding to the damage output in that area of the battlefield). any thoughts on this? 

Are there any other reasonably costed Free People's hero's I'm missing? 

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! What do you guys think about this list:

Allegiance: Order
The Fay Enchantress (160)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Battlemage (100)
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Stately War Banner
- Trait: Reckless
Balthasar Gelt, The Supreme Patriarch (160)
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
6 x Pegasus Knights (400)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)

Total: 2000/2000

The idea is to use the Mounted Yeomen to act as a mobile screen, zoning off big parts of the table for protection against dropping units. They can also fire some cheeky shots turn 1. With the Freeguild general ability and the Hurricanum they will  be firing at 2+/3+/- which is not that bad. The Pegasus Knights are the hammer unit, buffed by Wildform and The Fay Enchantress they will be delivering a solid punch. Balthasar is there to do mortal wounds on 2+-armor enemies. I think this list would be fun to play, but perhaps not super strong. Another big combat threat would be nice.

On 2017-06-06 at 2:25 PM, Hugh Halligan said:

Interesting list - you do not often see two hurricanums!! How did the knights of the realm perform? Your army looks great on the board! 

Where did you get those movement trays from I think I am going to need them for my next tournament. 

Thanks! I've used the Knights of the Realm in many games now and they very seldom get to kill stuff. They usually attract much attention from the enemy and end up as kind of a meat shield, or I'm forced to retreat with them to go and grab objectives. I still like them because of their mobility, which my army lacks. The movement trays are from ageofhobby. They are great.

New question - I spotted earlier in the thread people suggesting placing a unit infront of handgunners and when that unit is charged,  use the piper ability... Would the unit infront not block LOS? Or does LOS not matter in that particular ability as the rule states "each model can then shoot is missile weapon at the charging unit"? 

3 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

New question - I spotted earlier in the thread people suggesting placing a unit infront of handgunners and when that unit is charged,  use the piper ability... Would the unit infront not block LOS? Or does LOS not matter in that particular ability as the rule states "each model can then shoot is missile weapon at the charging unit"? 

LOS is important, so factor it in when preparing for the charge or making movement. Leave a small gap for your Guard or use the combat gauge to create the space. 

On 07/08/2017 at 8:42 AM, jobume said:

Hi! What do you guys think about this list:

Allegiance: Order
The Fay Enchantress (160)
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Battlemage (100)
Freeguild General (100)
- General
- Stately War Banner
- Trait: Reckless
Balthasar Gelt, The Supreme Patriarch (160)
30 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (300)
6 x Pegasus Knights (400)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)
5 x Mounted Yeomen (100)

Total: 2000/2000

As a narrative list, I really like it. I can imagine Balthasar leading the Pegus Knights, the Fay Enchantress with the Mohnted Yeomen, and your core marching down the middle. 

I'm curious to see how this list performs, specifically the 30 crossbowmen. It has the potential to do 60 shots, hitting on 2+ (hold the line + Hurricanum) and 2+ (hold the line + wildform), and rending on 4's.

In the thick of Battle, I don't know if you have the strength to hold objectives. 

In my opinion, I would only take 1 special character wizard. I've thought about running Balthasar, however; I find more value from the Luminark of Hysh for a few extra points but many more benefits. 

Pegasus Knights might be better run as units of 3 to avoid expensive losses in battle shock while adding tactical mobility if you need to split them on either flank. 

I'd suggest dropping 5 Yeoman for an additional 10 Guard (making one unit 20). Guard with Swords are incredible value and often my unsung heroes of battle. 

On 07/08/2017 at 1:20 AM, Duck1986 said:

Are there any other reasonably costed Free People's hero's I'm missing? 

It depends on the roll that you want the hero to play. 

In 3 Places of Power the General on Griffon is money worth spent. Fast movement, early objective securing and something that can hold it. 

Wizard on Hurricanum/Luminark will have an equal wound count and provide unit buffs but are squishy in combat. 

1 hour ago, MrCharisma said:

As a narrative list, I really like it. I can imagine Balthasar leading the Pegus Knights, the Fay Enchantress with the Mohnted Yeomen, and your core marching down the middle. 

I'm curious to see how this list performs, specifically the 30 crossbowmen. It has the potential to do 60 shots, hitting on 2+ (hold the line + Hurricanum) and 2+ (hold the line + wildform), and rending on 4's.

In the thick of Battle, I don't know if you have the strength to hold objectives. 

In my opinion, I would only take 1 special character wizard. I've thought about running Balthasar, however; I find more value from the Luminark of Hysh for a few extra points but many more benefits. 

Pegasus Knights might be better run as units of 3 to avoid expensive losses in battle shock while adding tactical mobility if you need to split them on either flank. 

I'd suggest dropping 5 Yeoman for an additional 10 Guard (making one unit 20). Guard with Swords are incredible value and often my unsung heroes of battle. 

Thanks for the feedback. Solid points. I think Wildform only works in melee, but still 2+/3+ rending on 5's is pretty good. I think you are right about being light on bodies. The list has 460 points in "chaff units" which is probably waaay to much. I think I need to cut the Yeomen and probably Balthasar and get more men.

9 minutes ago, jobume said:

Thanks for the feedback. Solid points. I think Wildform only works in melee, but still 2+/3+ rending on 5's is pretty good. I think you are right about being light on bodies. The list has 460 points in "chaff units" which is probably waaay to much. I think I need to cut the Yeomen and probably Balthasar and get more men.

I didn't re-read the rules of Wildform, so you might be right in Melee. I haven't used it in a long time... as I'm in love with Lifeserge and keeping my behemoths as healed as possible (plus a 6+ additional save)

*EDIT*

Just checked, and it's combat only. Hold The Line! will still bring it down to 5+ for rend -1

Hi 1st post here -i wanted to share with you my 2000 point list for objective based match play:

Leaders:

* Freeguild General - with stately war banner - 100 points

* Freeguild General on Griffon - 300 -points

* Gunmaster - 80 points

Battleline:

* 30x Freeguild Crossbowmen - 300 points

* 20x Freeguild Guard with Swords and Shields - 160 points

* 20x Freeguild Handgunners - 200 points

Artillery:

* 2x Empire Cannon - 360 points

Other:

* 10x Freeguild Greatswords - 160 points

* 10x Freeguild Outriders - 140 points

* 5x Decimators - 200 points

i mstly end up playing against horde armies who good in melee so want to use gunmaster and cannons, crossbowmen and handgunners to take them out early from distance. I wonder if it worth getting rid of something to get wizard or healer unit in to look after griffon?

I would get state troop detachment but think this expensive for a +1 to hit. Banner gives me buff on battleshock.

Last i wonder about getting rid of handgunners and bring in more crossbowmen?

Thankyou for feedback please :)

J

8 minutes ago, Freeguilder said:

Hi 1st post here -i wanted to share with you my 2000 point list for objective based match play:

Leaders:

* Freeguild General - with stately war banner - 100 points

* Freeguild General on Griffon - 300 -points

* Gunmaster - 80 points

Battleline:

* 30x Freeguild Crossbowmen - 300 points

* 20x Freeguild Guard with Swords and Shields - 160 points

* 20x Freeguild Handgunners - 200 points

Artillery:

* 2x Empire Cannon - 360 points

Other:

* 10x Freeguild Greatswords - 160 points

* 10x Freeguild Outriders - 140 points

* 5x Decimators - 200 points

i mstly end up playing against horde armies who good in melee so want to use gunmaster and cannons, crossbowmen and handgunners to take them out early from distance. I wonder if it worth getting rid of something to get wizard or healer unit in to look after griffon?

I would get state troop detachment but think this expensive for a +1 to hit. Banner gives me buff on battleshock.

Last i wonder about getting rid of handgunners and bring in more crossbowmen?

Wondering what your thinking of the Decimators are?

Unless they can drop where they need to go on the table they're foot slogging at 4" a turn meaning they're not getting anywhere fast. I'd maybe look at dropping the Decimators and making the Greatswords a unit of 20.

12 hours ago, Freeguilder said:

Hey @Freeguilder , welcome to TGA and the Freeguild thread.

A few initial thoughts;

- You're very close to running the Freeguild formation. A slight tweak (5x Pistoleers to replace 5x Outriders for example) 

- If you play Matched Play, you won't be able to use the State Troop detachment

- I'd consider replacing the cannons with rocket battery.

- I'm interested to hear how you plan to use the Decimators

- Split out the handgunner unit to be 2x 10 so you gain 2x long rifles

- No magic?! You're a fearless leader

21 hours ago, someone2040 said:

You only get 5 Outriders for 140 points by the way.

Also echo similar concerns about the Decimators. Without Scions of the Storm or some form of Hammerstrike Battalion to deploy the Decimators where you need them, it'll be tough to make good use out of them.

Sorry - I mistype! I mean 5 - well spotted :).

My plan with Decimators was to use them for defensive objectives - ones closest to my start point and to pretty much hold them by themselves, allowing more mobile units to advance!

I still have to build these, so could make them retributors, but I hear Decimators are best to handle hordes? I don't think I can get Scions of Storm or other way of teleporting them while using mostly Freeguild?

20 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Hey @Freeguilder , welcome to TGA and the Freeguild thread.

A few initial thoughts;

- You're very close to running the Freeguild formation. A slight tweak (5x Pistoleers to replace 5x Outriders for example) 

- If you play Matched Play, you won't be able to use the State Troop detachment

- I'd consider replacing the cannons with rocket battery.

- I'm interested to hear how you plan to use the Decimators

- Split out the handgunner unit to be 2x 10 so you gain 2x long rifles

- No magic?! You're a fearless leader

I think I still need Demigryph knights to complete the Regiment?

I'm unsure why cannot play State Troop Detachment in matched play? It is on the app and has a points cost? I know it confusing because of it saying "State troops", but I thought this could be easily transferred to Guard/Handgunners/Crossbowmen etc that it would cover previously?

What magic do you recommend?

Thank you all for thoughts on my army! :)

5 hours ago, Freeguilder said:

I'm unsure why cannot play State Troop Detachment in matched play? It is on the app and has a points cost? I know it confusing because of it saying "State troops", but I thought this could be easily transferred to Guard/Handgunners/Crossbowmen etc that it would cover previously?

What magic do you recommend?

Thank you all for thoughts on my army! :)

Even if it has points, it references units that no longer exist. It's been ruled in the latest FAQ that you can't use Battalion Warscrolls that require units that don't exist.

So you can play it casually with friends, but going into a tournament you probably won't be able to use it.

6 hours ago, someone2040 said:

Even if it has points, it references units that no longer exist. It's been ruled in the latest FAQ that you can't use Battalion Warscrolls that require units that don't exist.

So you can play it casually with friends, but going into a tournament you probably won't be able to use it.

Okay! I think my gaming group is casual enough not to mind - but thanks for advice incase of playing others!

Well, after picking up a unit of 20 crossbowmen for £3 off ebay, mostly because they were so cheap and a unit that I didn't have, I played them last night in "Ultimate Siege Weapon", and in cover in a defensive situation, they were amazing! I converted some old bretonian archers into further crossbowmen so I could have a unit of 30.  I was able to get them buffed to a 2/3/-/1 with the possibility of rend, and they just took down everything that came their way with their double-shots. They are definitely my new favourite unit!

Well, after picking up a unit of 20 crossbowmen for £3 off ebay, mostly because they were so cheap and a unit that I didn't have, I played them last night in "Ultimate Siege Weapon", and in cover in a defensive situation, they were amazing! I converted some old bretonian archers into further crossbowmen so I could have a unit of 30.  I was able to get them buffed to a 2/3/-/1 with the possibility of rend, and they just took down everything that came their way with their double-shots. They are definitely my new favourite unit!

Yes they are awesome! Don't tell everyone [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So now we have our allegiance ability leaked!

So we get the generic order allegiance ability - getting to re-roll battleshock

We also get rules similar to the old detachment rules.

If a unit gets changed, units within 6" of that unit can either counter-charge or shoot as if it were the shooting phase.

BONKERS.

This will make me totally change how I play the army, but ****** it, this is pretty awesome.

2 hours ago, Paul Conti said:

This will make me totally change how I play the army, but ****** it, this is pretty awesome.

Is it THAT much of a difference than we're already receiving with our Freeguild pipers?

I know the ranges will slightly increase, however; I'm not sure if the benefit is strong enough to stop me running a mixed Order. 

I'll check out the above video and read the book next weekend. I'm skeptical because 400pts of Allies doesn't currently get me a Hurricanum AND battlemage :-(

Hmmm. The Allegiance Ability doesn't get me massively excited either - although it's great to see the Freeguild getting something!

Love that Armour of Meteroic Iron is back! Looking forward to seeing what other artefacts are in the new book, and who knows, maybe there's a Command Trait in there that improves the Allegiance Ability?

I think it's awesome how, with so many factions getting new abilities, each one now feels much more distinctive and unique. 

Just watched the video on a flight and I'm still not excited about the Allegiance ability. 

I would have loved to have seen benefits in allying with the other old Empire factions (Collegiate Arcane, Ironweld, Devoted). 

I have mixed feeling about the new Strategic Genius trait too. It sounds like you can leverage it every turn, but you'll need to roll a 5+ (?) to do so. 

Either way it's good to mix it up and make me look at my army with fresh eyes. 

1 minute ago, MrCharisma said:

I would have loved to have seen benefits in allying with the other old Empire factions (Collegiate Arcane, Ironweld, Devoted). 

I don't think they're ever really gonna do that. Mixed factions are a thing of the past, and if you want to do them, you play Grand Alliance and the trade off is you get flexibility in unit choice over better allegiance abilities. The Empire is a thing of the past, and you're just going to have to get used to it.

In terms of the Allegiance Ability. I've been very hot and cold about it, and I think I've settled on it being a bit cold. The video was pretty confusing about the specifics, but it seems like it boils down to:

You get the basic Order ability for all FREE PEOPLES units (Re-roll failed battleshock tests).

Then you get the Freeguild Great Company ability.

If you have a unit of 20 or more Freeguild Guard, you can take 2 other FREE PEOPLES units that must have 10 or more models to make up a Great Company.

At the end of any enemy charge phase, a unit from the Great Company that isn't within 3" of an enemy unit and within 6" of a friendly unit that was charged can either - Shoot as if it was the Shooting phase or Charge as if it were your charge phase. Unsure about the targeting restrictions in this case. This I'm not really sure about, there seemed to be a great deal of confusion about what you could and couldn't do.

What's disappointing to me, is that they've essentially taken rules we already have, and just dialed it up a notch. I don't really like that, because I think it lacks creativity in a way. I'd have rathered an allegiance that helps out all Free Peoples units (Such as my home made Freeguild Order system), and then had this kind of rule as a Warscroll Battalion instead.

The other thing I don't really like is how it forces you to build your army in a certain way with particular units to make the most use out of the ability. You need to take large units of Freeguild guard, and you're mainly stuck with infantry as the supporting units. Your cavalry units and heroes don't get any benefit out of the Great Companies rule.

It could definitely be quite powerful though. One of the 'tricks' Freeguild have at the moment is to layer a shooting unit behind an infantry unit. The shooting unit can still stand and shoot with the pipers, but the infantry blocks the shooting unit from being targetted in combat. But ultimately, the shooting unit is still locked into combat, and for Handgunners this means they lose +1 to hit. So this is a safer way of performing a similar thing.

Additionally, the counter-charge range basically increases from D6" to 2d6" as you get a proper charge in. Makes it more likely your units are going to be able to support each other.

Overall, definitely keen to see how this all plays out. I certainly wasn't originally intending to have larger units of Freeguild Guard in my list, but will have to wait and see where things slot in.

I'm quite confused on how the great company ability works? Sounds like both the supporting unit and the unit being supported can't be within 3" of an enemy?

Which strikes me as odd and confusing? I struggle to see how you can support a unit that's not in combat? Anyone glean the video better than me and can clarify?

Archived