Considering picking up the hobby, looking for advice on factions

Stirlz

Hey all! I'm pretty into what I've seen so far about AoS and want to dip my toe into the world of wargaming. I have painted some minis in the past, and played warhammer total war,  but have never made a serious attempt to build a tabletop army and learn to play. But as its always the case with such things: need help learning about the factions

In other games I enjoy big payoff combos, high risk/ high reward stuff.  Specialized units appeal to me more than jack-of-all-trades. some unique mechanics and shenanigans get me excited. Would prefer too early on the side of lower model counts. Tier lists don't really matter to me

Aestheticically I'm into a lot of them at first glance: dark elves,  tzeentch, slaanesh, deepkin are all probably top tier for me, but skaven, fyreslayers and plenty of others look extremely cool.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Like 2

Hi there! Welcome to the madness :D

2 hours ago, Stirlz said:

Any thoughts or advice?

Yes! Buy all of them! :D

... that's what I'm prone to, at least ;)

Seriously speaking, though: if you want low numbers, you could try going with the Stormcasts. All of the units are fieldeable at low numbers - also, there are quite a lot to choose from. And they are all very nice visually!

Another extensive faction are the Skaven - again, a lot of options to choose from and quite a few fun specialized units with interesting rules (spoiler: these guys explode :) ). You'd need to forget low numbers, though: Skaven are on the opposite end of the "elite vs. horde" spectrum than the Stormcasts. I mean, the most basic SCE battleline unit, Liberators, is fieldable in the squads of five. Skaven's most basic battleline unit, Clanrats, is fieldable in piles of 20 rats (and it's better to actually field them in 40s...). Also, some portions of the range are also quite old and not that awesome visually.

Seeing that you mentioned Slaanesh - not sure if you only browsed the existing range or you also follow the previews etc.? Because Slaanesh will be getting quite a lot of new models this year. So, that faction is going to get much richer and also very, very attractive visually...

Anyway,  I'm still mostly a noob to AOS, but I'm sure other folks here will provide a lot of feedback. Good luck with the hobby :)

• Like 1

Welcome @Stirlz,

It would be helpful to hear more about why those armies appeal to you. Do they interest you for hobby, gameplay or purely aesthetic purposes. I feel those questions are a little tough as you are just entering into the fold. I will say that if you are not entirely sure what you will play the best bets are typically Chaos or Cities of Sigmar as they are more versatile in terms of how you can collect and grow your army.

Since you mentioned Tzeentch I think it would serve as a prime example: Tzeentch is a cool magic heavy army of protean demons, ritualistic cultist mortals and bizarre beaked beasts. It is a very versatile army to collect as it can be built into whatever element of the army best suits your taste. But it is also a good starting place for Beasts of Chaos which make use of the Tzaangors, meanwhile the demons and Tzaangors  are also useable in 40k (if you dare enter that scary rabbit hole). Furthermore, Tzeentch lends itself well to allying with Slaves to Darkness (my personal favourite army) as it can run many of those units within its faction, then you can build a more traditional Chaos army that is compatible with your Tzeentch models. All of the Chaos Armies are similarly easily expanded (although not all of them have specialized beast units). So I personally think this is a good place to start if your interests lie in collecting but they are similarly a powerful army and really cool for hobby purposes. Slaanesh is getting a massive expansion and will likely give you as much variety as Tzeentch with some amazing models. However, as they are still new it might be slightly more cost prohibitive to get into their upcoming mortal side. Skaven are less friendly with the other Chaos armies but it is a fun army with cool models, fun lore and a very strange but funny fanbase.

As for Cities of Sigmar it is an army of unified forces that oppose Chaos including Dark Elves. It can easily ally in Stormcast, and has similar rules for allying Kharadron Overlords (Sky Dwarves) and Sylvaneth (Tree people). It is a little less diverse than Tzeentch but still opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. I had a small army of Idoneth, I traded them away for Ogres as I was personally somewhat daunted in trying to come up with a coherent technique for painting and basing the army, but they are aesthetically one of my favourites in the game. I think they are pretty beginner friendly in terms of gameplay and they can be built into a nice elite squad but I think they were beyond my hobby skills. Fyreslayers are a little trickier in my opinion as they are more homogenous force but they are a spectacular army and there are many cool themes that you can do with them: I am always fond of seeing them in elemental forms like frost or flame. 

I think there are no wrong answers so long as you have a passion for the project and you are excited to see it cohere.  

19 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

... what now? :D

I mean strange is absolutely a compliment in this case. But I think it is fair to warn when one is entering a world of memes and rules unique to a specific faction. Duardin and Aelves get the same warnings!

Edited by Neverchosen

Thanks for the input everyone! lots of helpful stuff so far! Ive also been doing some research on my own

I have some questions re: the dark elves. I know that they are under the umbrella of cities of sigmar, and that there are variant rules for playing an all DE army that allows you to bring in daughters of kaine to some degree? The dark elf model line stradles the line of cool and all-out silly in a way that I really enjoy. But is this har kuron subfaction fun the play on the tabletop? I am concerned that they are an afterthought for people that still had their dark elf models and wont have cool rules or a distinctive playstyle. Or do yall think it would be better to stick to a faction with a dedicated battletome for my options and thematics and synergies and whatnot?

Edited by Stirlz
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone! lots of helpful stuff so far! Ive also been doing some research on my own

I have some questions re: the dark elves. I know that they are under the umbrella of cities of sigmar, and that there are variant rules for playing an all DE army that allows you to bring in daughters of kaine to some degree? The dark elf model line stradles the line of cool and all-out silly in a way that I really enjoy. But is this har kuron subfaction fun the play on the tabletop? I am concerned that they are an afterthought for people that still had their dark elf models and wont have cool rules or a distinctive playstyle. Or do yall think it would be better to stick to a faction with a dedicated battletome for my options and thematics and synergies and whatnot?

So this is not a helpful answer (for which I apologize), but there is still a faction that is being hinted at or in development around Malerion (Malekith in the Old World) which will likely reinvent the Dark Elves into Age of Sigmar. So the long standing nature of Har Kuron is currently unknowable it is possible we will see a really massive overhaul of what we think of as Dark A/elves. We have little information beyond the fact that Malerion has become God of the Realm of Shadows and looks really dope:

Malerion_01.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen

Just now, Neverchosen said:

So this is not a helpful answer (for which I apologize), but there is still a faction that is being hinted at or in development around Malerion (Malekith in the Old World) which will likely reinvent the Dark Elves into Age of Sigmar. We have little information beyond the fact that Malerion has become God of the Realm of Shadows and looks really dope:

Malerion_01.jpg

Well this IS helpful even if it isn't a direct answer to what I asked! A malekith revival does sound like something worth waiting for before making any expensive decisions. I hope the army's playstyle ends up being fun!

• LOVE IT! 1

Well this IS helpful even if it isn't a direct answer to what I asked! A malekith revival does sound like something worth waiting for before making any expensive decisions. I hope the army's playstyle ends up being fun!

Well keep in mind we have absolutely no clue if and when it is coming simply that they exist within the diegesis of Age of Sigmar. It might be prudent to start a related army such as Cities of Sigmar or Daughters of Khaine and hope they can be allied or proxied into Malerion/Malekith's eventual release... Although, I can see Morathi and her son not necessarily on the same page going forward...  

OK, well with all of that excellent input, I think I am going to start planning a 1k point har kuron army, and hoping that soon enough Ill be able to fold in some sweet new models when Malekith comes back!

thanks everyone!

and Ill just have to hope that buyers remorse doesnt kick in when I am painting my my dark elves and I dont suddenly wish they were on eels, or those amazing slaanesh long-tongue horse things

Edited by Stirlz
  • Like 1