Advice on building a list entirely around dragon units

GrouchoBen

Greetings Sigmarites, and hellow from a player across the 40k tracks.

I've been flirting with AoS for a while now, and with my purchase of a 3D printer, I'm set on printing and painting my own army. The thing is, I want, need and demand dragons in my lists. I know they're often sub-par units but I just love the concept, love the idea of dragon-riders and love the aesthetic. I'll also add that there are so many mind-popping sculpts available for our scaly friends now that it feels kinda rude NOT to print up some. I've attached some of the best examples for you to drool over.

Anyway, that's where you come in. Given that they're non-negotiable for me, and given that they are pretty underpowered currently, as I understand, can you think of ways to make them work? The idea being 2-4 dragon units in a list with supporting elements. Any faction, any allies, grand alliance is fine, you name it.

Thanks for your time.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 17.07.27.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 17.07.10.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 17.06.31.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 17.06.18.jpg

image.png.b1917f88d29010e01baa42339f18708f.png

This is a list that did fairly good on CanCon 2020. 3 dragons is probably the most you can reasonably fit in a list, but as you can see, 15 drakespawn knights (and what is a drakespawn if not a small, wingless dragon?) and 3 drakespawn chariots (6 more drakespawn! or, hell, make each one pulled by a single, medium sized drake!)

Bad news is, scourgerunners got more expensive in the meantime (now instead of 300 pts you'd have to pay 420), but good news is, they are not related to dragons AND knights got cheaper to mitigate it a bit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, dekay said:

image.png.b1917f88d29010e01baa42339f18708f.png

This is a list that did fairly good on CanCon 2020. 3 dragons is probably the most you can reasonably fit in a list, but as you can see, 15 drakespawn knights (and what is a drakespawn if not a small, wingless dragon?) and 3 drakespawn chariots (6 more drakespawn! or, hell, make each one pulled by a single, medium sized drake!)

Bad news is, scourgerunners got more expensive in the meantime (now instead of 300 pts you'd have to pay 420), but good news is, they are not related to dragons AND knights got cheaper to mitigate it a bit.

I love this list and it now only comes to 1950 so there are a few more points to play with or possibly upgrading something.

I am unsure how the sorceress is used in this list.  Without anyone to sacrifice and vitriolic spray as her spell, I feel like that is wasted.  Maybe used as a lucky home run hit sometimes or just as a threat, but I feel like trying to squeeze in some cheap troops for her to sacrifice would be worth it...but maybe I am missing something.

2 hours ago, basement dweller said:

I love this list and it now only comes to 1950 so there are a few more points to play with or possibly upgrading something.

I am unsure how the sorceress is used in this list.  Without anyone to sacrifice and vitriolic spray as her spell, I feel like that is wasted.  Maybe used as a lucky home run hit sometimes or just as a threat, but I feel like trying to squeeze in some cheap troops for her to sacrifice would be worth it...but maybe I am missing something.

I have no idea how he played it, but if I were to guess, I'd say that vitriolic spray is here mostly to scare the opponent. The list has a lot of high rend attack and even more ways to deal mortal wounds - removing saves doesn't help it that much. But that prospect that it might happen, and that say, those 15 drakespawn mounts now become insanely dangerous to anything they touch, makes people avoid the sorceress and or try to kill her fast (which, with drakescale cloak is not all that easy). In list such as this I'd say she'll get more mileage out of bladewind than the spray - mortal wounds, easy to cast and reasonable range. And will likely one shot a low save wizard for example. Plus, she provides an unbind attempt, which can be crucial.

Sadly, the list is 2060 now due to how much the scourgerunners cost was raised. I'm not sure how I'd work around that. Removing a single drakespawn chariot (and exchanging maelstrom for quicksilver swords for even more mortal wound pottential!) might be the simplest option.

5 hours ago, dekay said:

I have no idea how he played it, but if I were to guess, I'd say that vitriolic spray is here mostly to scare the opponent. The list has a lot of high rend attack and even more ways to deal mortal wounds - removing saves doesn't help it that much. But that prospect that it might happen, and that say, those 15 drakespawn mounts now become insanely dangerous to anything they touch, makes people avoid the sorceress and or try to kill her fast (which, with drakescale cloak is not all that easy). In list such as this I'd say she'll get more mileage out of bladewind than the spray - mortal wounds, easy to cast and reasonable range. And will likely one shot a low save wizard for example. Plus, she provides an unbind attempt, which can be crucial.

Sadly, the list is 2060 now due to how much the scourgerunners cost was raised. I'm not sure how I'd work around that. Removing a single drakespawn chariot (and exchanging maelstrom for quicksilver swords for even more mortal wound pottential!) might be the simplest option.

Ahhhh...I forgot the storm cast hero...so yah, 2060 which is too bad.  Dropping a drakespawb chariot feels like the easiest option.  Still a solid list with 3 dragons and should be fun to play.  Lots of speed and high saves...

• 1 month later...

While this is the Cities of Sigmar thread and I always love Cities of Sigmar, for YOUR purposes I am gonna suggest an entirely different army for a dragon army.

Flesh Eater Courts.

Their dragons are bigger, scarier, and with Feeding Frenzy and their buffs, hit SOOO much harder. They feel like epic killing machines where Cities and even Stormcast dragons are so...pillowfisted and even squishy...

You can even have an ALL dragon army, with battleline dragons. And while the Flesh Eater Courts use ZOMBIE dragons, there really isn't much super undeadness to them, so just having regular dragons as the models would be just fine.

My 2 cents.

• LOVE IT! 1