Can a unit loose his role?

Iradekhorne

Question

Hi guys.

We have a question in my group of play.

Can a unit loose his role in middle of battle?

For example, if i deploy 10 pink horrors, and one of them die, this unit is no more battleline?

Or if i have 10 ardboyz and some of them die, they loose the "battleline" role?

I think not, if i deploy a battleline unit, it remains battleline for the rest of the battle.

But If we read the raw rules, they aren't battleline under this conditions.

Some1 find someting about that? 

Thank you guys.

6 answers to this question

Here is the answer for your Question from the Generals Handbook 2020 FAQ that was released today.

Q: Can a friendly unit with a ‘Battleline if’ condition in its
Pitched Battle profile lose its battlefield role if that condition is
no longer met during a battle – for example, if a unit of Orruk
Ardboys that was taken as a Battleline unit in an Ironjawz
army has less than 10 models after removing slain models
from play?
A: No.

Q: If the answer to the previous is ‘No’, how do units that have
battlefield roles that are added to your army during a battle
work with the Pitched Battle (2020) battleplans?
A: These units are added to your army after you have
picked your army using the Pitched Battles rules and
therefore do not count toward the maximum number
of battlefield roles that can be taken in a Pitched Battle
army. This means that any units that are added to your
army during a battle do not gain the battlefield roles
listed on their Pitched Battle profile.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iradekhorne said:

Can a unit loose his role in middle of battle?

I don't think so.

As far as I know, role was intended for list building. so, once game started with a list legit army list, you no more really care about it.

Now, with some rules giving aditional points when holding an objective with a battleline, I agree it start to have a mean to track it during the game. But so far I can't remember any rules stating or even suggesting that an unit could loose his role.

Yea thats the problem, i dont see a single faq or rule about that.

With that in mind, the rule of pink horrors and arboyz are very clear, they can loose his battleline status.

In that case we apply the raw rules, and on our games they loose the role... yes is weird but is weird for me, some others think different.... we need a faq or rule clarifyng this.

47 minutes ago, Iradekhorne said:

pink horrors and arboyz are very clear, they can loose his battleline status.

Yeah, I agree. I dont play neither of them so didnt know, but my understanding is same as you, errata containing point ocste make it prety clear for both of them.

I have to admit that's not a big surprise for horrors. This warscroll is a little odd, but assuming it was 3 differents warscroll in the past, this special rule intente to limite battleline role to pink only. This is faire to avoid somone to build list with 3x brimstone and having "paid his battle line tax".

For Ardboy, I dont know Orruk well enough to understand why, but rule seems clear in the erata point table. As writen, for me they, no more count as battleline once they are 9 or less. Not sure if this is what is intenended.

I encountered the exact same issue. Another scenario is if a unit is a conditional battleline only if X is your general. My friend believes that once X is removed, it is no longer the general and the units would lose their battleline role. I want to dissagree as you paid for the cost of a battleline and therefor they are a battleline, period. There are no answers to this in the book nor anything in the FAQ as this has only started to be an issue in GHB20. There is no rule that says that a unit can lose it's battlefield role so that is why I interpret it as they keep their role throughout the entire game.

As for pink horrors and ardboyz, I believe that the battleline restrictions set upon them are only to be followed in the list building phase and once you buy them in as a battleline, they are a battleline until the unit is wiped. I believe it to be that way as it would be consistent with the "there are no rules that say a unit can lose their role during the battle". HOWEVER, the contradictor would be, once again, pink horrors. They count as a wizard when they are 9+ pinks but are not wizards if they are less. With that said I do believe that this is an in-game mechanic whilst the previous restrictions are for the list building phase.

Concluding, I believe that once you buy in a unit as a battleline, they remain as a battleline unless stated clearly that a unit loses its role once Y is no longer met during the game. This is me opinion but until GW releases a FAQ adressing this, there is no right or wrong. Until then, I suggest avoiding scenarios where this can play a role.