When to roll save? (after or before dmg numbers?)

NaftaliDK

Question

Hey Guys.

I saw this battlereport on youtube, and around the start he mentions something about damage that really confuses me.

He's stating that if fx. I've rolled 3 wounds, with a weapon that deals d3 dmg. I would have to roll the damage dice first, let's say they roll 5 wounds. then my opponent would have to roll 5 saverolls. 

That's what he's saying, and I'm just really really in doubt, that he's right about this. what do you say?

8 answers to this question

He's wrong.

Roll to hit.

Roll to wound.

Take saves against wounding hits.

Calculate damage.

Apply damage, at which point abilities such as Stonehorn's half damage taken or plaguebearer's 5+ against each wound comes into effect.

It's actually clearly laid out in the basic rules.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think the main issue is the way to wound roll and wounds suffered is differentiated.   Many of us probably state after failing 5 saves; "thats 5 wounds" which is a complete hang up from 8th addition.  

There are also so many special rules out there that grant saves against "wounds suffered" i.e. after the damage modifier has been applied that easily lead to confusion as to when to take saves.

2 hours ago, Naishy said:

I think the main issue is the way to wound roll and wounds suffered is differentiated.   Many of us probably state after failing 5 saves; "thats 5 wounds" which is a complete hang up from 8th addition.  

There are also so many special rules out there that grant saves against "wounds suffered" i.e. after the damage modifier has been applied that easily lead to confusion as to when to take saves.

Now I tend to go "X potential wounds" when somebody needs to roll saves, but often say they cause however much damage after that.  I do agree though the whole terminology is a bit confusing: wounds turn into damage turn back into wounds?

YEah. I've been slipping sometimes and doing this wrong, which is only really shorting myself. But I always say "X wound does D3 dmg"  or whatever every time but my opponents don't so I have to ask how much they do. Felt weird, I'll train them to tell me how many wounds they do. :) Just seems like a good habit to get into.

Archived