Blood for the Blood God!!

Isaac5887

Hey all, coming up on my first convergence with Khorne against my friend who’s been playing random Warbands. 

First battle was Nurgle Demons.  Close loss for me.  Second was vs Sylvaneth.   I won that one pretty handily.  

Hoping for some list ideas or advice with what’s been working for fellow Bloodbound.  Currently using Wrathmonger leader with various dual wield warriors and the dual wield barbarian guys. 

I have a Khorgorath and Skullreapers available along with a Priest and the other Champion allies.    Thanks Ike

Have only played a couple of games with Khorne so far - 2 with Bloodbound and 1 with Daemons.

I would agree that the Wrathmonger leader is really good. I take 1 skullreaper and a Khorgorath after that, which allows me to have at least a reasonably heavy hitter in dagger, shield and hammer, and then mix reavers or blood warriors to taste. Last game I took a blood warrior with gorefist, a blood warrior with gore glaive, and then a reaver with two weapons and a reaver with double-hander.

Next game with them I think I’ll try dropping both the blood warriors for 4 more reavers, to get a few more bodies on the table. In both games so far, the khorgorath was a beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking the way Khorne is looking in Warcry. The mortal side anyway. The Daemons look ok, but don't have many options and list building with them seems quite restrictive. Basically a couple of Fleshhounds and/or Bloodcrushers with as many Bloodletters as i can fit. The mortal side is where the interesting options come into play.

Starting with Daemons

Abilities

========

Blood for the Blood god is really nice at a double. Its Rampage, but with the condition the unit has taken down an enemy during the activation. Most warbands dont get something like this for less than a triple.

The Bloodletter double is also not to bad. Increasing crit damage for attacks. on a 1/2 its worse, 3/4/5/6 better than onslaught.

The Fleshhound double allows for a bonus move within 6" of closest enemy, basically meaning you get move for free allowing for two attack actions.

The Leader triple gives +1 attack to units within 3" if an enemy is taken down. Similar to other Warbands

The Bloodcrusher charge is meh

The Quad on the Flesh Hound leader is only good with a high roll, 5/6, otherwise i would just use Rampage .

Units

=========

Only 3 Units here,

The Bloodletters are our chaff unit. At 70 points they are one of the hardest hitting  units in the game for under 100 points, Pretty much the only units under 100 points that hit harder than  cost more points. They aren't particularly tough though at 3 toughness and 10 wounds, so kind of glass cannons. 

The Flesh Hounds and Blood Crushers are kind of competing for the same spot it seems. They have the same melee profile, but the Bloodcrushers cost 15 more points, get 10 more wounds, but 2 less movement and a worse ability. Both are kind of a little bit too expensive for their melee profile though, but the Blood Crusher is quite tanky for his points cost.

Leaders

=========

3 Leader Options.

The Bloodletter leader costs over twice as much as a regular Bloodletter. He gains 10 extra wounds but at toughness 3 is quite a squishy Leader. Makes great use of the Bloodletter ability though. Decent if you want a cheaper Leader

The Bloodcrusher leader and the Flesh Hound Leader are pretty similar. They have the same points cost and attack profille, but the Bloodcrusher leader only has 5 extra wounds over the Flesh Hound leader and the regular Bloodcrushers. The Flesh Hound leader retains his extra 2 movement over the Bloodcrusher, but gets +10 wounds over the regular Flesh Hounds. The Flesh Hound leader also gets the quad ability which is ok with a high roll.

I'd say the Flesh Hound is probably the best option here. It has a decent attack profile, fairly tough, good movement and has access to 2 half decent abilities. However the Bloodletter leader is also worth considering, especially if you want to say some points

List Building

=========

There aren't many options here, and there are only so many ways you can build this list.  The best way i could start to build a list was to start with a Blood Letter spam list

- 1 x Bloodletter Leader

- 12 x Bloodletters

Then you start taking away Bloodletters and replace with either the Flesh Hounds or Bloodcrushers and try find the break point at which you no longer think you  have enough units. 

One possible list is as follows

- 1 x Bloodletter Leader

- 1 x Blood Crusher

- 1 x Flesh Hound

- 7 x Bloodletters

If you want to go with a Flesh Hound focused list you could try

- 1 x Flesh Hound Leader

- 2 x Flesh Hounds

- 6 x Bloodletters

Or if Blood Crushers are more your poison

- 1 x Bloodletter Leader

- 3 x Blood Crusher

- 4 x Bloodletters

==============================

And now for Mortals

Abilities

========

Blood for the Blood god is the same as the Daemons.

The other doubles are nothing special.

The Leader triple is same as the Daemons

The skullreaper triple is the same as the Bloodletter double. hmmm.

The Wrathmonger quad is Rampage but with a strength buff.

Units

==============

There is a quite bit more variety here than the Daemons. 

Starting with the Blood Reavers, the chaff unit. One of the better ones in the game. They lose a point of crit damage compared to the Bloodletters but gain 1 extra movement, which not to be overlooked. They are squishy at 3 toughness and 10 wounds but at only 65 points they are a steal. As far as the weapon goes. Reaver axes all day. Even though they have 1 less strength than the Meatripper axes, that extra more than makes up for it.

The Blood Warriors have 3 loadouts. They are reasonable tough for their points with 4 toughness and 15 wounds. The Gorefist option is the cheapest, but does the least damage and the ability is not very good. The Goreglaive looks ok, but its ultimately loses out to the dual axes, they will do more or less the same against toughness 3 and 4 enemies, but the dual axes will edge out the glaive when it comes to toughness 5 enemies. And being 5 points cheaper is clearly the way to go. 

The Skullreapers are an interesting one. They are quite tanky for their points cost, 4 toughness with 25 wounds, with what i think is a slightly subpar damage profile. This can buffed with the triple ability, but you will need to roll high (5 or 6) to make it worth using over Onslaught.

The Wrathmongers. Statwise these guys are worse than the Skullreapers and costing an extra 5 points, but they get do access to the quad ability, but this better used on someone else.

The Khorgorath is a literal Monster. He is the hardest hitting unit in the Mortal roster, and the tankiest with 35 wounds. He costs a lot but worth every penny. His ability is not good, but thats not why you are taking him.

Leaders

=======

We get 4 options for Leaders here.

The weakest option is the Blood Warrior Leader. He doesn't really gain anything over his Regular counterpart with dual axes, other than +1 strength and 10 extra wounds. But at an extra 70 points that's a steep price to pay.

The weirdest option is the Skullreaper Leader. Costing an extra 30 points over the regular one, all he gets is 5 extra wounds. He still gets the ability but I'm really scratching my head at this one.

The budget option is the Blood Reaver Leader. Even though he is the cheapest option, he will do more damage than either of the two above him (5 attacks at 3 strength is better than 4 attacks at 4 strength at 2 damage and 4 crit). He is a bit squishy for his points cost though with 20 wounds at 3 toughness.

The best option though is the Wrathmonger Leader. Unlike the Skullreaper leader he actuall gets a big buff over his regular counterpart for only 40 more points. +1 attacks and 1+ damage. He is also your best target for the quad ability. This guy hits nearly as hard as the Khorgorath.

Allies

=========

Khorne actually has a good few allies.

First up is the Aspiring Deathbringer. This guy is another hard hitter. and decently tanky as well. His quad ability is one of the best in the game. Add half the roll value to damage and crits to units within 8. Thats increadily strong even on a roll of 1. If you are bringing this guy, you can legitimately think about not bring the Wrathmonger Leader and take a cheaper leader instead.

The Exalted Deathbringers are next up. Identical apart from one has 2 range weapon at 5 strenth and the other has a 1 range weapon at 6 strength. Unless playing against toughness 5 enemies, Bring the 2 range version. They have a pretty useful triple ability. Instead of giving themselves a bonus move and attack, they can pass it on to someone else within 8 of them, after they take someone down.

The Skullgrinder is probably the weakest of the Ally options. His attack is 3 range but weak for his point cost. His triple will increase his strength, but he is already at strength 5, so pretty pointless. If this increased attacks instead, then he might have been worth a look.

The Slaughterpriests round out the option. The Axe variant hits the hardest of the 2, but only by a little. The hammer and blade option gets a mild 3 range attack to compliment his decent other 1 range attack. Probably just pick the one you like the look of most. The ability is interesting if a little expensive for a triple. You can force an enemy move towards you for the value of the roll.

List Building

==========

This is wear its gets interesting. You get lots of options here for viable lists. A good option without any Allies would be

- 1 x Wrathmonger Leader

- 1 x Khorgorath

- 1 x Skullreaper 

- 6 x Blood Reavers with Reaver Axes

This gives you some hard hitters in the Khorgorath, the Skullreaper with his triple and the Wrathmonger with his quad and  leader triple to buff anyone around him.

You could go with a Blood Reaver spam list with an Aspiring Deathbringer, in the hopes of pulling those triple or quad buffs.

- 1 x Wrathmonger Leader

- 1 x  Aspiring Deathbringer

- 9 x Blood Reavers with Reaver Axes

You could also try an exalted Deathbringer list that can activate the Khorgorath again on the Deathbringer's triple, with some Blood Warriors and Blood Reaver Chieftan as backups.

- 1 x Blood Reaver Chieftan

- 1 x Exalted Deathbringer

- 1 x Khorgorath

- 2 x Blood Warrior with dual Axes

- 3 x Blood Reaver with Reaver Axes

Due to the many types of units across many different profiles and points costs, there are many different ways to run Khorne Mortals. You can nearly always fit in your heavy hitters along side your cheaper options without ever really sacrificing your unit count. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, Bloodgut said:

This is wear its gets interesting. You get lots of options here for viable lists. A good option without any Allies would be

- 1 x Wrathmonger Leader

- 1 x Khorgorath

- 1 x Skullreaper 

- 6 x Blood Reavers with Reaver Axes

This gives you some hard hitters in the Khorgorath, the Skullreaper with his triple and the Wrathmonger with his quad and  leader triple to buff anyone around him.

I've been messing around with Khorne recently and I really wish I'd seen this post earlier, because I came to the exact same list eventually. I think this is the best build if you're trying to win since the Wrathmonger is the most aggressively costed leader and you want to have as many bloodreavers as possible. There's a big incentive to have 1 skullreaper and no more - even though it's not a great deal for the points the durability is useful and the ability is great to use once.  Then the Khorgorath is just everything the Ogor Breacher wishes it could be. 

That said there's some sweet 'fun' lists possible with this varied roster. I really want to test the following out in a casual setting:

140 - Bloodreaver Champion

235 - Khorgorath

235 - Khorgorath

235 - Khorgorath

65 - Bloodreaver Two Axes

65 - Bloodreaver Two Axes

Not the most competitive thing you can be doing but monsters are a ton of fun. 

On the Demon side I think the mobility of the Flesh Hound is being underrated a bit, and the Bloodcrusher is really good as a mobile anvil. The Bloodcrusher triple is the same as a whole bunch of other warbands, but it's more exciting on the Bloodcrusher because of the tankiness. The list variation is much lower with Demons but the units complement each other so well I find they play much more smoothly than they read. I had so much fun with them that I ended up recording a video, which I'd never done before.  There's some beginner mistakes in the recording that I hope people will forgive, and I think I can clear it up before the next time I do something like this.

Here's the vid. Any comments from fellow Khorne players would be greatly appreciated.  (btw the user names are different, bc of course I never thought to consider I should have the same name everywhere on the internet)

I tried this list with interesting results:

Bloodletters hero

2 bloodletters 

2 juggernaut

2 hounds

Hounds and juggernaut are fast and very tanky, they have many wound and a nice damage. 

The ability of bloodletters is very random, I would not rely on that 

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, Bloodgut said:

You could also try an exalted Deathbringer list that can activate the Khorgorath again on the Deathbringer's triple, with some Blood Warriors and Blood Reaver Chieftan as backups.

- 1 x Blood Reaver Chieftan

- 1 x Exalted Deathbringer

- 1 x Khorgorath

- 2 x Blood Warrior with dual Axes

- 3 x Blood Reaver with Reaver Axes

Due to the many types of units across many different profiles and points costs, there are many different ways to run Khorne Mortals. You can nearly always fit in your heavy hitters along side your cheaper options without ever really sacrificing your unit count. 

Thanks for your post was really useful ! Do you have any advice on how you would split your Hammer, Shield and Dagger with this list? 

Edit : I haven't seen any mentions of Furies or the Raptoryx, are they not providing anything to the Khorne warbands (especially the mortals)?

Edited by Ninelives
addition