Path of the Changer

Changer

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheeeeesh.

Working my way through this blog I've gone from inspired to ready to throw all of my stuff in the garbage.

Fortunately, I've settled on "Inspired," for now!  I picked up some new paints and decided to get the hell in there.  I had a ton of these guys right at release but I shelved them for a month or so since they were too fancy to paint.

So, thanks for the inspiration.  Even if they look like Poo-birds it'll at least be painted Poo-birds!

I did have a question though.  Do you think it would work/is possible, to slap a LoC Bird head onto Magnus.  I like the model, and really like the idea of using him as an LoC in AoS, but I'd rather he not be QUITE so recognisable.  When you built him, did it seem like it'd be an easy enough head-swap?  I'm thinking of that and maybe not putting the nipple-horns on.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Just taken a look at the Lord of Change kit again (it's still on the sprue :() and it does look like you'd be able to stick either the single thick neck of the double neck from the Lord of Change kit on Magnus.  It'd probably require a bit of greenstuff work, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I look forward to seeing your conversion!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I may look into that then.  Would give me a unique LoC for AoS.  I was also planning on doing the same with a Soul Grinder.  Though I also don't want to end up the "the army with the bird heads glued onto ******," so I may try to pick one or the other. :D

Thanks again and goodluck!

1 hour ago, Goodwin said:

Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

I may look into that then.  Would give me a unique LoC for AoS.  I was also planning on doing the same with a Soul Grinder.  Though I also don't want to end up the "the army with the bird heads glued onto ******," so I may try to pick one or the other. :D

Thanks again and goodluck!

To my shame, about 3 years ago I started a 40k Tzeentch force and then sold it off.  As part of that I did a Tzeentch Soul Grinder conversion using the double head from the Empire Griffon kit, along with parts from the Warshrine.  I've just managed to find the pic - I really regret selling it, as now I'm going to have to rebuild it!

unnamed.jpg

My gaming group (myself included) are fickle people - some of them are GW managers and we all get excited about most things that GW announce.  On the 40k front, 8th Edition has just been announced.  Because of this, it looks like we'll be playing that exclusively for a few months as soon as it is released.

This is one of the reasons I chose a Tzeentch force for AoS - most of the force is portable between the two systems!

So, with this in mind I've assembled the Lord of Change (with Rod).  I had originally thought to try out a three armed conversion - the staff across the body with the arm sprouting underneath the right arm.  However, I'm really liking the staff being vertical, so that's the direction I've gone.  My wife chose the head (classic skull head for that retro feeling) and it just needs a bit of liquid green stuff to tidy the joins up and it's ready for some paint!

Needless to say, you'll be seeing daemons pretty much exclusively for the next few months.  I'm intending to finish off the Screamers (which I still don't like, but it'll be a finished unit) and then I'll do the 20 Blue Horrors before treating myself with the Lord of Change himself.  I'm thinking of painting the Lord of Change in the classic blue skin, but I obviously want my yellow / green / blue feathers on the model somewhere.  How much of the model should I cover in these feathers?

4 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

You have a fantastic method for Yellow, how do you do it?

It's from the 'eavy metal painting guide for the space marine librarian:

averland sunset / yriel yellow 50/50

washed with sepia

recess washes with crimson

yriel yellow, adding a bit of screaming skull after each layer, all the way up to pure screaming skull.

sharp highlight of white, then a final recess shade of crimson.

Ever had a situation where you hate a paint job it makes you hate the model? Every time I look at the Herald on Burning Chariot I realise that the screamers aren't very good. This is compounded by the work on progess on the screamer unit, and the fact I've taken them off (and cut up) their flying bases just makes me hate them.

I'm thinking about removing them completely, and making a new base for the herald and have him just on a disc instead of the Chariot.

On 4/21/2017 at 3:44 AM, Changer said:

As part of that I did a Tzeentch Soul Grinder conversion using the double head from the Empire Griffon kit, along with parts from the Warshrine. 

What a great conversion.  I know painting will change things, but something about the griffin heads makes me feel like its very happy to be a soul grinder of Tzeentch.

• 2 months later...

Such a fantastic army. It's difficult to pick any favorites but that Magnus is superb. Everything from the red skin to the feathers are brilliantly painted and shows a good sense of color. The gaunt summoner is awesome too with that blue skin and yellow robe. 

I think the blue horror looks a little flat compared to the other guys. I think he would benefit from some stronger highlights. Just my thoughts. 

Keep up the great work!

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2017 at 5:28 PM, Tzaangor Management said:

Just got around to picking up this month's White Dwarf and thought I'd drop a quick congratulations in. Would recognise that Lord of Change anywhere!

I haven't painted my Lord of Change yet - although I did have some minis in that White Dwarf!!

Anyway, I'm back!!!  It's been a few months since I've posted anything - during that time I've spent a great deal of time with 40k - I've painted a few Thousand Sons to go with Magnus, some Eldar, some Primaris.... but now I'm back painting some daemons - so I thought I'd start posting again on here.

Before my hiatus from the daemons I finished 10 blue and 10 brimstone horrors.  I've not got any pics at the moment, but I'll add some in the next day or two.

Next on the painting table is this bad boy!

20917111_10155668235704268_1455095981_n.jpg

13 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Sorry. If you don't mind could I see your eldar? if you have a link or something to somewhere else that's cool. Planning on starting Dark Eldar with some Ynnari and your work is awesome.

Haha thanks very much. I've only done some wraithblades and a farseer recently. I've sent you some pics anyway.

As promised, here's the blue and Brimstone Horrors I've completed. It took me ages to get the Brimstones right. I'd normally go white in the recesses as Fire is hotter nearer the middle, but it just didn't look right. Lots of blends and glazes but I'm pretty happy with the result. Not sure I could face another ten though!

The plan is to paint the Changeling, then the Ogroid Thaumaturge, and then tackle the lord of change.

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

Tiny update to show that I have done some painting this week. The bases for the Ogroid and the Changeling have been completed. The Ogroid base will be snowed once the model has been painted.

The Changeling Vortex has been painted in the same way as the discs from the Tzaangor: sotek Green, through to temple Guard Blue and blue Horror etc... and looks quite good. Sorry about the dark pictures - there's not really all that much to see.

Work on the Changeling himself begins in a few days.

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

I've started working on the changeling himself. As with the rest of my Tzeentch, the robes are yellow, with dark blue details. I'm pretty happy with them so far. The yellow is done, but they may need a touch more shading,  burn in going to wait until the rest of the model is done before I mess about with them any more.

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

Archived