Cogforts

Kierdale

They’re mentioned a couple of times in the Hammerhal section of our army book, and I was recently reading one of the Malign Portents short stories (The Offer) which features one, and I wondered if there are other sources? I thought we could collate what we know (as it would be fantastic to model one, as a terrain piece for Armies On Parade, for example. Fingers crossed GW gives us a kit in the future).

* some apparently move on ‘great iron tracks’ while others have ‘piston-driven legs’.

* They are mentioned as having ramparts, suggesting they are mobile fortresses to some degree, even with drawbridges.

* they have ‘anchoring harpoons’ and telescopes.

* they have engineering crews and are boiler-powered.

*they can carry 80+ men and steeds(!).

*the story mentions the fort rusting up so presumably there’s a lot of ferrous metal in their construction.

Does anyone else have any info or ideas?

Were I a Hammerhal player I’d love to make (a small) one.

Screenshots of where Cogforts are mentioned in CoS and The Offer:

4312662E-ADA5-4F96-8231-7DFB077558DB.png

FDECDFF6-7F28-43B3-982C-EC811149B792.png

2DD31D22-2E36-46A6-94F3-74EB9ADE98A7.png

1B95E20E-8E00-471B-92AC-8D6A732354B0.jpeg

If I remember correctly they find a cache of WD40 and everyone lives happily ever after.

https://malignportents.com/story/the-offer/

And yes, a fortress capable of carrying 80 soldiers and mounts would be pretty big...a cogtower might be a nice model to get sometime!

• Haha 1

The focus of RAW2020 is also cogforts with players assembling them over the course of the weekend which will be awesome. My own Cogfort is a Steamforged Class (Its known as part of the Iron Third as it forms part of the outer ring of defensive Cogforts of the Midnight City) which means it is smaller but more mobile than the traditional Ilk, serving more as mobile Watchtower than full fortress.

cogfort.png.c8a730b456619b15a8e39382f184053c.png

And I have rules for fielding Cogforts but only as part of my Empires of Industry supplement, its in the allegiance rules section:
https://artisansofsigmarhome.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/empiresofindustry.pdf

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 4

• 2 weeks later...

I can definitely see GW releasing a kit for cogforts. Similar to kharadron ships, it would be smaller than what it would have to be in real life. I mean the kharadron ships really are clown cars, but that doesn’t keep them from looking awesome on a game table. 

I could see GW eventually releasing a cogfort that looks like it could only house a handful of men, but like the kharadron ships everyone is supposed to imagine that it would be much larger in real life.

@Melcavukthat is one of the coolest things I’ve seen for AOS to date!

• 4 weeks later...