Soul Cage vs Groundshaking Stomp

AndyPa

Question

Hi there,

I had a game with Sylvaneth vs Nighthaunt the other night and my oppenent and me were arguing about who fights last.

Battle example:
He did cast Soul Cage on my Durthu. (no unbind)
At the start of the combat phase I let use Groundshaking Stomp on the enemy unit (success).

Now the question was who fights last?

Soul Cage was erratered to "unoit fights at the end of combat".
Groundshaking Stomp says: "On a 4+ that unit fights at the end of that combat phase, after the players have picked any other units to fight."

If feel like Durthu would have been able to attack first, but I think the *spell* should be stronger.

5 answers to this question

37 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Hi there,

I had a game with Sylvaneth vs Nighthaunt the other night and my oppenent and me were arguing about who fights last.

Battle example:
He did cast Soul Cage on my Durthu. (no unbind)
At the start of the combat phase I let use Groundshaking Stomp on the enemy unit (success).

Now the question was who fights last?

Soul Cage was erratered to "unoit fights at the end of combat".
Groundshaking Stomp says: "On a 4+ that unit fights at the end of that combat phase, after the players have picked any other units to fight."

If feel like Durthu would have been able to attack first, but I think the *spell* should be stronger.

Who is the active player in that round?

Fighting last works exactly the same as fighting first. So if it's the Sylvaneths turn Durthu would Attack, because all Sylvaneth units with "fight at the end of the combatphase" would attack before all Nighthaunt units with that rule.

And in the Nighthaunt turn, all Nighthaunt units with "fight last" would attack before all Sylvaneth units with fighting last.

Edited by EMMachine
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Ah, okay.

So whte 2nd part of the sentence of the Stomp "after the players have picked any other units to fight." will be not tanken into account?

If both players have no more units to pick (that are not affected by fighting last) the player having the turn fights first.

I have to admit: The activation wars are really badly implemented.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyPa said:

So whte 2nd part of the sentence of the Stomp "after the players have picked any other units to fight." will be not tanken into account?

That's a remnant of the old wording before GW decided to split the combat phase into three different sub-phases.

So far, they did a really mediocre job to consolidate all the different wordings of the different abilities. All the "after any other units fought", "have to fight last", "fights first" and whatnots are now mostly errata'd to represent in which sub-phase they take place. But there are still word-snippets that just add confusion in many warscrolls.

Btw, actually spells are now one of the weakest parts of the activation wars. Here it didn't matter because both abilities just kicked yall into the third sub-phase so in there you go with the usual activation order starting with the active one.

But if the other player had a spell that contradicted yours, Groundshaking Stomp would actually trump it. The ability that was applied second takes precedence which is a huge blow to everything you do in the hero phase like spells and command abilities and a huge buff for abilities that go off at the start of the combat phase

• Thanks 1